What's new

Brotherhood of the Open Comb

Howdy BOTOC - I haven't been around in a while due to being on vacation and trying to get some other things moving.

I started shaving with a Sheraton this week. It is a very smooth shaver, almost like a Merkur 1904 in that regard. Do Sheraton owners have to use a sharper blade than their normal? I ask because an Astra SP doesn't seem to get the hair off but a Gillette Yellow or Thai Super Thin seem to do better.

Also, is the blade angle vastly different than the Merkur OC's or even the LC New? It seems to require a steeper angle relative to the skin.

Howdy BOTOC - I haven't been around in a while due to being on vacation and trying to get some other things moving.

I started shaving with a Sheraton this week. It is a very smooth shaver, almost like a Merkur 1904 in that regard. Do Sheraton owners have to use a sharper blade than their normal? I ask because an Astra SP doesn't seem to get the hair off but a Gillette Yellow or Thai Super Thin seem to do better.

Also, is the blade angle vastly different than the Merkur OC's or even the LC New? It seems to require a steeper angle relative to the skin.

I find the Sheraton to be fairly mild...certainly more so than the New's. I use Feather's in everything so can't really compare to other blades much, but it does take more work to get really smooth than with the three piece OC's. I agree, it does require a steeper angle to get good blade contact. I think that's true with any of the TTO's - even the OC ones. The inherent shape of the cap/doors just forces it to be that way. It's a good smooth shaver, and one I use often when I need a really quick - 5 minutes and out the door type shave. It'll get me a SAS, approaching DFS, quicker, and with less attention than most other razors require :).

The Sheraton / Senator series tends to be all over the place with users. I read from people who say it is too aggressive, to those who say it is mild. To me, I have found them to be mildly aggressive (more aggressive than Super Speeds but less aggressive than the Barbasol / PAL floating head series). The ones I have, I rank slightly more aggressive than an EJ89, but not by much.

The Sheraton / Senator series tends to be all over the place with users. I read from people who say it is too aggressive, to those who say it is mild. To me, I have found them to be mildly aggressive (more aggressive than Super Speeds but less aggressive than the Barbasol / PAL floating head series). The ones I have, I rank slightly more aggressive than an EJ89, but not by much.

From my limited experience the Sheraton fits in the gap between the LC NEW and the 1904 open-comb in terms of aggressiveness. It's smooth until you nip yourself, but unlike a 1904 you can nip yourself pretty good (as I found out today).

I like the Yellow in the Sheraton now, but I may move up to the Blue or the Indian Wilkinsons just to try them out. I couldn't do that with the LC NEW as it stands.

Yes, I use a straight from time to time (seldom). I'm far from experienced in that and I must admit - learning and using the straight razor is a very time consuming and tedious task
I see, my 1st Traditional wet shave was with a Torrey Straight, it was honed by Lynn ( Straight razor forum) and since I had a shoulder operation i couldn't get my hand high enough to reach my face to stretch and shave, so I reverted to De's and have not looked back ever since

I use a Astras blades and I do short baby hook strokes near my neck area, but on my face I do longer strokes with a little more pressure. Its a semi-aggressive razor and it will bite you.

Here is a combination razor.
A Freedom Hill handle matched to a Gillette OC Head.

proxy.php

Well here is another acquisition this week. Here is a 1919 Gillette U.S. Army Khaki Set with a Wade and Butcher blade in the razor and one in the dispenser. The one in the dispenser is shown in the photo.

proxy.php

From my limited experience the Sheraton fits in the gap between the LC NEW and the 1904 open-comb in terms of aggressiveness. It's smooth until you nip yourself, but unlike a 1904 you can nip yourself pretty good (as I found out today).

I like the Yellow in the Sheraton now, but I may move up to the Blue or the Indian Wilkinsons just to try them out. I couldn't do that with the LC NEW as it stands.

Mike, I been using one for 7 years and it still bites me on occasion

Great idea! I know that this is the BOTOC thread but I would like to see pictures of your Fat Handle Tech (I promise I won't tell bluebishop you posted them).
Any pics of this Monstrous procedure?
I really would like to see that. ...
oh, so he pulled out the drill? He didn't leave it in.
You'll see ...

I've just finished putting the video together.
Rendering and uploading to YouTube ...

Top Bottom