What's new

Broken Merkur

Time for full disclosure. When I showed the razor to my wife last might she said, "Oh oh, I was cleaning the bathroom on Wednesday and that razor fell out of your rack on to the floor when I picked up the rack to clean under it." She just picked the razor up and put it back in the rack with its nine brothers. Since the floor in there is marble, I guess its not totally surprising that the part got knocked loose. So I will take the heat off Merkur in this case at least. I'm heading to the local home improvement store today for some JB.

Complaining to the head of the corporation works. It help me to finally get Garmin off the dime for a defective gps. I mailed it to the ceo and guess what? They fixed it. Send the razor to the man with a polite note of disappointment. You might just get a new razor. If they don't make it right, screw 'em, never give them another penny of your money. How a company manages small problems like this is a reflection of their entire customer service policy. At least now your eyes are open.

Sadly, this is a fact of life with newer razors from any source.

They are no longer plated brass and built to last many lifetimes. There's another thread about an x89 (don't recall if it was a Jagger D89 or Muhle R89) where the entire screw is eroded into a grey "goo".
The $$ Merkur Futur is the DE featured on the "How it's Made" segment and it has a number of plastic parts.

Outside of Merkur (Dovo), Jagger, and Muhle, all that's left in "name brands" is Parker, Weishi... both not known for high quality... and a handful of cheap crap.

Ummm, in that instance the owner had been soaking his razor in straight vinegar repeatedly. No razor would have survived that.

Sadly, this is a fact of life with newer razors from any source.

They are no longer plated brass and built to last many lifetimes. There's another thread about an x89 (don't recall if it was a Jagger D89 or Muhle R89) where the entire screw is eroded into a grey "goo".
The $$ Merkur Futur is the DE featured on the "How it's Made" segment and it has a number of plastic parts.

Outside of Merkur (Dovo), Jagger, and Muhle, all that's left in "name brands" is Parker, Weishi... both not known for high quality... and a handful of cheap crap.
Agreed. I've heard one too many complaints about Merkur. My only new razor, the Muhle R41, is already turning brown around the head posts. From now on, I'm staying "vintage."

No worries. I accept full responsibility. If it doesn't work, it will because of my clumsy handling, not your good advice.

It's also worth a shot to sand the metal a little bit prior to sticking JB weld on it. Just enough to "rough" it up to give the JB weld something to attach to.

Again this is YMMV and I take no part of blame for breaking the broken razor? But I will take all the credit in the world if it fixes it :thumbup:

I was thinking about buying a Merkur, but Now I think I will buy the EJ DE89. I need something a little better than my 61 flare. (and longer handle)

Update. The JB Weld didn't hold. Screw broke off again as soon as I screwed the handle back on, May have to chalk this one up. Thanks for the input everyone.

Next Step - Spot Welder. May I suggest This

No, no, no. These razors are made of a high grade of pot metal, but it's pot metal nonetheless with a melting point of around 400 degrees. The heat generated in a welding arc (tig, mig or stick) is closer to 10k. On steels and copper based alloys, you're making a molten pool of around 2000 degrees. Stick a welding arc onto your Merkur head and it will be goo in less than a second.

One can solder parts like this together but it requires tremendous skill and the cost of the materials as well as the labor to do it would buy you a new Tradere or Ikon or Feather or Weber or Pils which would end your problem all together.

The sad truth of the matter is there's simply no way to produce razors of the quality that were made decades ago and of better materials for 40 or 50 dollars. The economics are unrealistic given the potential market. Both the Merkur I used to own and the EJ I still own shocked me with how good they were for the 45 or so bucks I spent on each. That was six months ago. Now, I take that same money and buy a vintage razor. Eventually, I'll pony up some money for the current generation of new stainless razors whose producers keep this hobby going in fine form.

We can't blame Merkur for not replacing a razor that breaks a year after it was purchased. That's just unreasonable. It's bad luck for our friend the OP, but they're just not in a business which can pay for that. Let's face it. Those of us who have the current generation of 40/50 dollar DE's may be able to hand them down to our sons, but it is not likely that they'll make it to our grandchildren.

Edit: OP, hope you don't take this as a criticism of your concerns. I'd feel the same way if my razor broke. Just trying to put the unfortunate circumstances into perspective.

Last edited:
I didn't see it mentioned, but have you tried contacting the vendor you got it from? Many times the vendor wants a satisfied customer, and its well worth the shot.

Is it possible to just replace the part not the whole razor someone probably suggested that and I missed it?

Not economically.
I wanted one of the nicer EJ Chatsworth handles for my Muhle R41. Availability was super, super spotty (never did fully confirm) and price would have been higher than just buying a Chatsworth and binning the head.

Dovo/Merkur is a good company and I think works hard to made a quality product. With proper care their razors last a very long time. OP....they may in fact replace a top piece to make your razor work. Explain your wife knocked it off the counter, offer to pay for this piece plus shipping...can't be too much, the whole razor is not damaged just a mass produced replaceable part. They may just send you a new top piece with their compliments. Send your request to Anne Rothstein who handles customer service. They may surprise you. Be courteous. If I was a manufacturer I would not do anything for the people ready to escalate a minor matter to a general avoidance of the company while I would treat this instance as an opportunity to be better than my competition. They,again, are a very good company with a range of good products that last if treated with care. That at least is my experience with them on parts that needed replacement.

Edwin Jagger has replaced both my razor heads after a so liar thing happened no questions asked. I got them in about a week shipped from england. They have great customer service.

Thanks for the Merkur contact info. I think this is my best course of action. The thing broke because it was dropped on to marble bathroom tile - not Merkur's fault at all. If I can buy a new top for a reasonable price I'll be a happy camper.

The retailer was a small pharmacy on Broadway in NYC. I haven't pursued this with them, but to say I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a good response from them would be a wild understatement.

Thanks to everyone for the input. I will contact Merkur and report back.

Dovo/Merkur is a good company and I think works hard to made a quality product. With proper care their razors last a very long time. OP....they may in fact replace a top piece to make your razor work. Explain your wife knocked it off the counter, offer to pay for this piece plus shipping...can't be too much, the whole razor is not damaged just a mass produced replaceable part. They may just send you a new top piece with their compliments. Send your request to Anne Rothstein who handles customer service. They may surprise you. Be courteous. If I was a manufacturer I would not do anything for the people ready to escalate a minor matter to a general avoidance of the company while I would treat this instance as an opportunity to be better than my competition. They,again, are a very good company with a range of good products that last if treated with care. That at least is my experience with them on parts that needed replacement.

Quick update. I wrote to Anne Rothstein at Dovo/Merkur Customer Service as suggested. One day after receiving my letter (which included pictures of the broken part) she responded that a replacement top was on its way to me via air mail. That's excellent customer service and standing behind their product.

Quick update. I wrote to Anne Rothstein at Dovo/Merkur Customer Service as suggested. One day after receiving my letter (which included pictures of the broken part) she responded that a replacement top was on its way to me via air mail. That's excellent customer service and standing behind their product.

Excellent news. I had a similar experience dealing with Merkur. My 37c had some chrome flaking around where the screw attaches to the cap, sent Anne a photo email and she had a new cap to me within a week. I'm satisfied.

Top Bottom