What's new

Broken Merkur

I have a one year old Merkur 23c that just broke this morning while I was shaving with it. The post in the head where the handle screws on just broke off! $Merkur After.JPG

In the picture, I laid the broken screw on the head. Anyone ever experienced this kind of problem before? I can't imagine super gluing that back in will hold. Is this razor just junk now?

Here's what it should look like.

$Merkur Before.JPG

If it were me I would use just the tiniest bit of JB Weld and a vice grip to put it back on, not too much or the JB weld will weap out the sides, and not allow the razor to get the appropriate blade contact.

Superglue will eventually (if it even sticks) wear off.

Then again, this is what I would do. this is very YMMV. I would also check on any warranties that you may have on it? (I'm not sure about Merkur's warranties)

The 23C was my first razor. It died in the same way - never dropped it once, but broke while screwing the cap on. Merkur said it was due to buildup from my hard water and did nothing about it. Since then, I've religiously taken apart and dried my razors after each use.

That may be worth a shot for $5. I think I'll give it a try.

If it were me I would use just the tiniest bit of JB Weld and a vice grip to put it back on, not too much or the JB weld will weap out the sides, and not allow the razor to get the appropriate blade contact.

Superglue will eventually (if it even sticks) wear off.

Then again, this is what I would do. this is very YMMV. I would also check on any warranties that you may have on it? (I'm not sure about Merkur's warranties)

I've seen a few of these kind of posts now, I'm going to stick with vintage or stainless. Pot metal is not going to make a long-lasting razor.

It's also worth a shot to sand the metal a little bit prior to sticking JB weld on it. Just enough to "rough" it up to give the JB weld something to attach to.

Again this is YMMV and I take no part of blame for breaking the broken razor? But I will take all the credit in the world if it fixes it :thumbup:

I was thinking about buying a Merkur, but Now I think I will buy the EJ DE89. I need something a little better than my 61 flare. (and longer handle)

I always wondered how the Zamac threads on a Merkur would hold up to use, now I have my answer. They mold a machine bolt into the head cap.

Also, it sounds like their customer service isn't so great. "Hard-water build-up"? That's some industrial grade nonsense right there. Their product failed, own it.

Last edited:
I've seen a few of these kind of posts now, I'm going to stick with vintage or stainless. Pot metal is not going to make a long-lasting razor.

If you look carefully, the metal didn't fail, the joint between the head cap and the screw failed. Those were two separate pieces that have been bonded together.

The excuse that a buildup of hard water caused this joint to fail is, well, inexcusably stupid.

A dab of JB weld will probably do the trick. We get trumpets in the shop all the time that someone has decided to "repair" themselves with JB weld. Let me tell you, that stuff is STRONG! Merkur/Dovo take note! Start using that stuff to bond these two parts. Skip the super glue. It will never hold. Super glue does a lousy job of bonding metal.

Last edited:
But really, Merkur's customer service is garbage. They don't stand behind their product. How long ago did you get it and where? Maybe the place you bought it from can help?

Merkur cust serv rep sounds pretty stupid to give an answer like that, "Hard Water" Build up? These Razors are made to rinse and run under water arent they? So if water can damage the razor and corrode the head, then why buy there product? The only Merkur i own is the Futur and Vintage as well as Hoffritz, I wont ever buy a Merker if there products get damage and break down with a little water.

I say No to Merkur, there not getting my Money.

Thanks for the warning OP

Last edited:
If the thread was attached properly I don't even know how the hard water could do any damage. Seems like it would have to get on the inside of that particular piece.

Perhaps you could find a bolt that will fit the handle, then drill a hole through the cap where the broken off bit used to be... Of course, you would need to be careful when shaving not to put too much cap on your face. The bolt head would be very uncomfortable sliding across your skin!

When calcium deposits enough in just the right area, the weakest point becomes brittle enough to snap with reasonably little force. I know when you buy a glass shower door out by me, they warn you to clean it every time so it doesn't shatter on close some random day. Now, I remove ALL water after every shave - whether it takes 10 seconds with a towel or if I have to take a Q-tip to it. It seems like it helps. Then again, the only Merkur I have now is the Futur...

Before I read the prior post on this, I, too was going to suggest that you use JB Weld. I used it recently to re-bond a knot that had worked its way out of the brush handle. You may wish to look into a classic brass razor, since they would not do that.

I just made a mental note never to buy a Merkur.

Sadly, this is a fact of life with newer razors from any source.

They are no longer plated brass and built to last many lifetimes. There's another thread about an x89 (don't recall if it was a Jagger D89 or Muhle R89) where the entire screw is eroded into a grey "goo".
The $$ Merkur Futur is the DE featured on the "How it's Made" segment and it has a number of plastic parts.

Outside of Merkur (Dovo), Jagger, and Muhle, all that's left in "name brands" is Parker, Weishi... both not known for high quality... and a handful of cheap crap.

Top Bottom