What's new

Brittle Edge?

I've run across a razor with what appears to be a brittle edge. I've not seen this before. As I start getting a bevel it just breaks off. I can even break the edge off by touching it against my nail. Very strange. I'm assuming it's a hardening problem? Changing hone doesn't seem to make a difference. Any ideas?

Maybe intergranular corrosion? Some older steels get it. Sometimes continuing to hone will get past it (if that's what it is). I've had 2 old razors with the problem, and one was ok after some extended honing. The second didn't improve; even after working the edge back over 1/8 inch on a 125 micron diamond hone.

Maybe a bad heat-treat as my second choice.

Could just be one of the many many crappy no-name razors out there, it certainly sounds like the steel isn't treated for a fine edge, or heck, might not even have decent steel

out of interest, What's the brand? if it's something other then what I described it as, then I'd suggest that it's been treated in such a way to lose it's temper, overheated or something like that

Chances are though, it's made of an old drink can and therefore will never hold an edge

Could just be one of the many many crappy no-name razors out there, it certainly sounds like the steel isn't treated for a fine edge, or heck, might not even have decent steel

out of interest, What's the brand? if it's something other then what I described it as, then I'd suggest that it's been treated in such a way to lose it's temper, overheated or something like that

Chances are though, it's made of an old drink can and therefore will never hold an edge

It's a Haywood. Sheffield blade, older 1/4 grind. Pretty decent shape but there's no way to tell what kind of quality it is or how it was a treated over the last 100 years.

Those fold over due to lack of hardness.

Edge crumbling is probably due to really hard steel and honing technique OR the edge was rusted and is crumbling now.

has anyone clean up the blade using machines.
another possibility already have been mentioned defective product . etc.
try hone a little more see steel will act differently?

Well, after more honing that I'd care to repeat it's an excellent shaver. I guess I just get rid of some bad steel on the edge.

Top Bottom