What's new

British manufactured ABC pocket?

R

romsitsa

Hello,

this ABC set arrived today and I suspect it was not produced by American Button Co. maybe not even in the US.
The case is a silver shell pattern with patent numbers listed, no G in D stamp. The razor is silver shell with double Gillette logo, G in D stamp, serial: G 072457

$image.jpeg

Compared with other razors I have, there are some very noticeable differences, so I suspect it was manufactured on different machines.

The handle is the shortest one I saw in ABC sets.
The bottom of the handle is rounded, not flat and the leaf design is different.
The combed plate is a bit thicker than other ABC plates.
The top cap has a shorter thread and the angle of the thread is different, not really interchangeable with other ABC handles without ruining the threads.
Locating pins are also shorter than ABC ones.
The ribbon has a different design, there is only a straight line across Gillette, instead of the arrow, like in British double Gillette stamps.

Is it possible that this set was manufactured in England based on the original ABC design?
Some pictures, new razor to the left (or top, depending on device):

$image.jpeg

$image.jpeg

$image.jpeg

$image.jpeg

Thanks

Adam

Last edited by a moderator:
R

romsitsa

Thank you. Maybe we should set up an ABC database with markings and dimesions like the British Single ring database. :001_unsur

Adam

Thank you. Maybe we should set up an ABC database with markings and dimesions like the British Single ring database. :001_unsur

Adam

Adam, that is a very good idea. There are a couple of threads about ABCs I am sure you know. Some people there seem to be experts!

EDIT I see there you are one of the experts!

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...n-Company-Pocket-Edition-Sets-Part-One-Razors
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...on-Company-Pocket-Edition-Sets-Part-Two-Cases

Last edited:
R

romsitsa

Thank you too. I'm by far not an expert, but I have other hobbies where I got used to always look for differences, so I have to compare my razors to similar ones on the net or in my collection.

Adam

R

romsitsa

Picked up one of these over the weekend as well. Same handle and head, also British made. Unfortunately, no case...

Double logo, short pins and thread? Could you post the serial no. and type of design?

Thanks

Adam

Not an expert but I will post some pictures and give the serial number. It has the Gillette Trade Mark stamped on the base plate and the top cap.

R

romsitsa

Thank you, it looks the same, so these differences start to show some pattern.

Adam

Top Bottom