What's new

British Bakelite ID Please

Another gorgeous British Bakelite:
proxy.php

But any idea who made this?
proxy.php

The sophisticated baseplate design is more reminiscent of a French or German model although the top cap is almost identical to that of the Souplex Double Six.

The only clue is that it says "British Made" on the end of the handle.
So does this mean it was for export?
When was the term British Made used instead of Made In England etc (which is what it says on Souplex and Gillette).
proxy.php

I haven't shaved with this yet but I'm guessing it will be fierce and smooth...
proxy.php

So has anybody seen something similar or get any info on this beautiful razor?

Thanks!
A collector has sent me a photo of an identical razor that has the brand "Jeanette" on the handle so I'm trying to find out more about that.
"British Made" and the solid guard bar suggest that this razor was made after the end of WW2.

I can't wait to see how it shaves!

That is a great looking razor!

Thanks! And, as I have just discovered, it's an INCREDIBLE shaver:
proxy.php

It's not an exaggeration to say that this feels like a 19g Shavecraft Tech.
It gave me a superb waxy BBS shave - I've learned not to underestimate these bakelites. Many of them outperform the R41 and are superbly smooth with it, and I think this "Jeanette" is one of the very very best.

Just picked up a full travel kit with the same razor - no maker's name but the same Bakelite holders as with the first one, this time in a nice case:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Sorry, I'm taking this thread back because I happen to have a razor with a similar head.. made in England...

Edgar pointed me to you, Marcus.. Nice one you (we) have!:thumbup1:

I can't wait to try it!

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/481173-English-bakelite-razor-id?p=7995508#post7995508

proxy.php

Brilliant! Yours is the fourth one of these I've seen, two with the British Made stamp, one with Jeanette and now yours (with a handle that looks very similar to some earlier Wardonias).

It would be great to find out who made these, and it will be really interesting to hear how you get on with it.

Brilliant! Yours is the fourth one of these I've seen, two with the British Made stamp, one with Jeanette and now yours (with a handle that looks very similar to some earlier Wardonias).

It would be great to find out who made these, and it will be really interesting to hear how you get on with it.

:thumbup1:

A fast clean up... and we shall see...!

Took my travel kit with this razor on a minibreak to Bristol:
proxy.php

It's the perfect travel razor - an easy but fantastically aggressive shave that was smart for 24hrs, with matching bakelite brush and soap containers.
Looking good '40's style [emoji3]

Excellent ... and cool!!:thumbup1:

I am ashamed to say I still haven't tried it... too many razors, too little time...

But I will!

Last edited:
And here's another set:
proxy.php

An almost identical razor but this one has Made In England on the baseplate rather than the British Made on the base of the handle.

Infuriatingly the box just says "Safety Razor Made In England" with no other information.

So who made these? And where were they distributed?

And here's another set:
proxy.php

An almost identical razor but this one has Made In England on the baseplate rather than the British Made on the base of the handle.

Infuriatingly the box just says "Safety Razor Made In England" with no other information.

So who made these? And where were they distributed?
I think it was made by Englishmen, sir [emoji1]

Top Bottom