What's new

BriarWorks Bacon Old Fashioned Review

First, I want to thank Price -The Dude- for making samples available through his PIF!!!!!
$image.jpeg
First Impression - Whiskey/Bourbon top note, with hints of smokey bacon flavor, I really thought I noticed some maple in the bacon as well...
Appearance - Lots of blonde and amber ribbon cut pieces + specs of cavendish. Looks dry, but actually feels like the perfect balance of moisture to the touch, so I did not need to let this aromatic dry.
$image.jpg
Pipe used - Missouri Meerschaum corn cob with "Forever" stem semi-churchwarden.
Pre-light draw - Can taste Mapley Bacon over all other notes
$image.jpeg
Smoke - Mostly light burleyish/ Virginia flavor, VERY pleasant... Some whiskey flavor & light sweetness on retro-hale. This does leave a slight bacon flavor in mouth as an aftertaste, but not overwhelming, and not unpleasant.
- VERY forgiving tobacco, did not get tongue bite (was sipping unsweetened tea throughout)
- Very light room note that the bacon smell seems to come through in.
Final thoughts - Super enjoyable, finishing the bowl left me wanting another!
- Smoked nice, dry, and cool with no gurgle.
Soooo... Room note super light, very pleasant, but just a hint of bacon to it. No tongue bite, I did want more bacon flavor in this, but the flavor was great regardless!
=Good Stuff!!!

It does sound nice ! The only place I've had maplely Bacon is in the NE , here we have Hickory Smoked , they may have maple , now . But the Baccy sounds Great ! Thanks for the Review ! Nice !

I'm long overdue with my review of the sample from Price (thanks, again for the 'baccy!). When I received this, I had a bit of a head cold that interfered with the palate, so I put off smoking it--well, I had one bowl, then waited to form an opinion until I had a couple more.

This is an interesting tobacco and I'm pretty new to smoking, so take my review with a couple grains of salt. When it comes to tobacco, my palate is a bit of a sledgehammer, not much refinement, but it is beginning to develop. To date, I've spent most of my time with English blends, though more recently I've begun to enjoy the occasional Va or aromatic.

The note out of the bag was pretty strong when I received it; not what I'd call a bacon scent, but heavily citrus with a little smoke behind it. When smoking it, if the baccy weren't labeled as a bacon aro, I'm not sure I'd pick up on the bacon notes. It definitely isn't overwhelming. The first time I smoked it (while my head was clogged) I thought I picked up on some bacon flavor lingering on my lips through the smoke, but that may have been in my head as I didn't have the same experience later on. I generally smoke outside, so I can't comment on the room note, though after smoking, my clothes sort of had a charred bacon air about them--once again, this may have been my imagination as I was searching for the bacon scent.

All in all, it wasn't a bad smoke, though it was a bit brash on the tongue (not, bite, just the flavor.) Very smokey, a bit of citrus. I don't think this is something I'd go to every day, but I'd be interested in returning to it later as my technique improves.

Top Bottom