What's new

A truth about pipe smoking

Here's another reflection. Ever have an afternoon (or a day, or an evening) where you just don't want to smoke?

You have the opportunity; you have tobacco you like and pipes that smoke well. And yet . . . "Nah, not just now."

For me, true, it's warmish outside today, rather than being the sort of chill where the warmth of the pipe bowl in your hand is welcome. But I just don't feel like going through the ritual right now. Tomorrow, sure, if I get a chance. But not this afternoon. I doubt this means I've lost interest in pipes or pipe smoking!
In a word, rarely.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Here's another reflection. Ever have an afternoon (or a day, or an evening) where you just don't want to smoke?

You have the opportunity; you have tobacco you like and pipes that smoke well. And yet . . . "Nah, not just now."

For me, true, it's warmish outside today, rather than being the sort of chill where the warmth of the pipe bowl in your hand is welcome. But I just don't feel like going through the ritual right now. Tomorrow, sure, if I get a chance. But not this afternoon. I doubt this means I've lost interest in pipes or pipe smoking!

Yes, absolutely. Sometimes, it's only when I've packed it, or even done the charring light, that I realise the moment isn't right.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
I haven’t smoked in two years but I still have some pipes and baccy available.
C6638683-A1FE-4432-B9F5-0B248344DD9B.jpeg

For me it is:
- nicotice is irrelevant
- room note is more interesting when it lingers, but maybe also not to be banned to the balcony, but I also smoke tobaccos with awful rommnote in MY room
- it`s all about taste, which for me means complexity and variation; smoking a pipe is a 50 minute journey for my taste buds (I smoke mainly English blends and different Virginias, as well as sometimes light aromatics (MB Mixture, Plumcake and such) and very seldom aromatics like Stanwell Melange, Vanilla and such, but I do); or, as a German modern philosopher (Rüdiger Safranski) put it: smoking a bowl is an interesting dialogue, an enriching conversation with the tobacco
- I'm not into pipes, they just have to burn the tobacco well and cool
- I like the ritual, I like that it is not a quick fix inbetween but takes time, and I like that I have to be calm and relaxed to enjoy a smoke (not the other way around)

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
Do you think it's something you'll ever go back to, or is it just there for happy memories?
I don’t think I will go back. Two years ago I had a stroke which resulted in a pacemaker when they took X-rays after it was fitted they discovered cancerous fibres round the lungs. The prognosis was not good. I gave up smoking. I am still around. A number of the pipes had been specially made for me so I didn’t want to get rid of them. We had to downsize our home and I didn’t want to throw out my smoking gear. Like you mentioned it does remind me of happier times. I do miss smoking very much.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I find pipe smoking to be the most relaxing and contemplative activity I can think of. And I find it most enjoyable with the most simplistic subtle blends I can find. Sometimes I feel like that fellow sitting on the sofa playing a G cord on his guitar endlessly. His friend asks why he plays the same cord all the time where others play tunes all over the neck. His reply is that all those other guys are still looking for it and I have found it.

Last edited:

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I don’t think I will go back. Two years ago I had a stroke which resulted in a pacemaker when they took X-rays after it was fitted they discovered cancerous fibres round the lungs. The prognosis was not good. I gave up smoking. I am still around. A number of the pipes had been specially made for me so I didn’t want to get rid of them. We had to downsize our home and I didn’t want to throw out my smoking gear. Like you mentioned it does remind me of happier times. I do miss smoking very much.

If what you are doing is working, I wouldn't change a thing. It's wonderful that you have beaten it off.

Top Bottom