What's new

Briar scraps

Anyone know where I could get ahold of some scrap brair chunks? Don't really want to get a nice full piece cut for pipe making. I hope to use it to create brair dust. Then the dust with some glue to fill some flaws on an estate I've had stashed for a little while.

The pipe in need of the fills.

20180216_182853.jpg

20180216_182912.jpg

20180216_182832.jpg

I might have some too. Let me look.

Sent from my LG-M255 using Tapatalk

Thanks a bunch! More than happy to send something to compensate. Didn't want to buy and turn a nice block into dust haha

Last edited:
Shoot, I was gonna recommend a cheap old eBay estate for a few bucks but alas, to no surprise at all, our incredible members are here to deliver!

Shoot, I was gonna recommend a cheap old eBay estate for a few bucks but alas, to no surprise at all, our incredible members are here to deliver!
I thought about trying that but was afraid I would end up wanting to fix the pipe to be turned to dust :lol:

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I could also send you some if it's not already taken care of.

Just something to keep in mind though, when restoring old pieces of furniture or wooden instruments, it's important to use the same wood from what you're working on to ensure that the color and properties of the wood are consistent. If you're just trying to make it look up to par again, then it isn't that big of a deal.

I could also send you some if it's not already taken care of.

Just something to keep in mind though, when restoring old pieces of furniture or wooden instruments, it's important to use the same wood from what you're working on to ensure that the color and properties of the wood are consistent. If you're just trying to make it look up to par again, then it isn't that big of a deal.
Thanks a bunch! Got a chunk of briar in the mail today from Mike. I don't expect it to look new really. I was going to attempt a partial rustication to hide the flaws but I don't have the proper stain for a rough surface. Mostly just want to fill the divots without it looking like a chunk of putty. I'm curious to see how it works out myself. Rebornpipes has filled quite a few flaws with briar dust and super glue as the filler. Could be great but could go wrong haha. This is my first time attempting such a repair.

How did it go?

Still in development :(. Got distracted by fly tying. I'm about to get back at working on my projects. Haven't been able to smoke lately with a bunch of allergy and respiratory issues so working on them has been on the back burner sadly.

I will be probably cutting back on some of my collection soon as well. Trimming the fat and making funds for some other stuff.

Top Bottom