What's new

Breville Oracle

If you aren't familiar with it, the Oracle is Breville's super-automatic dual-boiler. It takes their DB capability, adds a (mediocre) grinder that has an auger tamper, and a programmable steam-arm like you see at Starbucks. You can treat it like a dual-boiler and do it all yourself, or use the automated functions.

I visited Sur La Table on a Monday afternoon when it was quiet. All three employees were standing around and one asked how she could help. To be honest with you all, I just wanted a free espresso shot and knew they had Jura machines on demo that do a good job. I told her I was interested in a machine that would make coffee for me, and instead of the superautos, she did the right salesperson move and went to the most expensive machine on the shelf - an Oracle.

I have read a lot of BDB threads since I was in the market recently so I was glad she had an Oracle out and powered on, and was interested in giving a demo. She knew the system pretty well (didn't say anything too uneducated about making espresso) and liked to talk about coffee and features.

For the shot, which I tasted before she added milk. For Illy beans with an unknown roast date, and a fast pour, it was an impressive enough shot that showed me that the Oracle had great potential -- if only fresher beans and the right grind and tamp settings were dialed in (or manual control).

The part that really impressed me was the milk steaming. That automatic frother does a fantastic job - gets the milk nice and hot, and adds a great, creamy consistency. All with the flip of a lever.

She then made me a shot on a Jura and, while I've always thought they did a good job for a superautomatic, back to back with the Oracle showed me how lacking in mouth feel and flavor the Jura really was.

My verdict: For people in the superautomatic market, the Oracle is a way better use of your money. And I've seen Juras going for close to $2000 depending on the options you equip it with, so that doesn't feel like an unreasonable statement. And I can see why people like the $1000 Breville Dual Boiler - that's the semiautomatic heart of the Oracle and is half the price, which leaves plenty of room for a quality grinder. With practice you can make milk as good or better, but it isn't automatic.

Nice write up you've done on this machine.

I am always amazed at how well Breville does with all of their offerings be it a simple toaster or a complex super automatic espresso machine.

proxy.php

Interesting. The Breville YouBrew "super automatic" drip machine also gets very positive reviews. Looks like their product development team is interested in good coffee, no matter what the brewing method.

Top Bottom