What's new

Brand new user of Schick Krona and Gillette Slim

J

jdmjr

Like most of you looking for the eternal close, non-irritating shave, I ventured out a couple of weeks ago and found a steal on a Schick Krona and Gillette Slim...antique store in a "dead" town...I bought both to compare...Previously used Mach 3 and Aveeno Gel...I was intrigued by all the threads, but I seem to keep coming back to Clubman Rob's sage advice. He seems to know how to squeeze quality for a great deal...a true penny-pincher who won't sacrifice quality. I tried VDH Select Soap along with a Caswell-Massey badger brush that I've had for years. Nothing wrong with lather, but still not "there" yet. I read many of your threads about Personna $1.78 for 10 blades at Wally World...They seem to be great DE blades. But after a week of practicing "no pressure" great angles, and 2 passes WTG, but not ATG...no nicks, cuts, bumps...just somewhat sensitive face(i do have sensitive skin)...Well, somehow what Clubman Rob says makes alot of common sense to me...I was intrigued by his favor of Gillette Foamy Lemon-Lime with Shavers Secret. I finally found the foam at CVS, and the Shavers Secret Oil at Wally World...Later, saw that all Krogers carry the full line of Foamy for $1.69 per can, full dollar cheaper than CVS. My grandad used to use the Lemon Lime Foamy along with DE razor and later Trac II razor and looked sharp and smelled sharp with his Aqua Velva. I followed Clubman Rob's advice and holy smokes...here's the closest shaves, baby butt smooth with no irritation that I've experienced in a long time...Here's what's finally working...Schick Krona with Personna blade(no adjustable...(can't figure right level with Gillette Slim Adjustable...sure it can be done, though)...In the shower with no-fog mirror...Clean face with Purpose Gentle Cleanser...then put 3 drops of Shave Secret Oil in palm of hands and rub into beard really well...then put scalding water in half of my shave mug...then squirt a dollop and 1/2 or so Gillette Foamy Lemon-Lime cream on top of the water in mug...it warms up lather somewhat...then take my badger brush and work up the lather into beard really well, going ATG with the cream...then Schick Krona down, then rinse; then Schick Krona up, and final rinse. Then cold water. Then pat dry with towel. Then over to bathroom sink where I splash on plain Dickinson's Witch Hazel. After that dries a few minutes later, then I put on Nivea Sensitive Shave Balm...It simply works great! Now, since Clubman's advice was good stuff...I am wondering about his preference for Trac II blades...I'm going to try only because the one downside is it takes me 10 minutes with the DE blade. Wondering if he is on to something. My question to him or anyone else who uses Trac II blades is this: where do you get the best Trac II blades? Can't find at Wally World...only the expensive $15 Gillettes...I found some Comfort Coated twin blades at Publix for $3.99 for 10 blades the other night...it says made by American Safety Razor Co...will these be of same quality as the Personna DE's I bought at Wally World? I'm thinking American Safety Razor Co. is a "good thing." Any thoughts?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

I can't help with the Trac II as I never used one. Using a DE might not be as quick at first but it will be eventually.

For your lather, visit the tutorial: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21136

Try to make a few bowls of lather during the afternoon. It doesn't take long and you won't have the time pressure!

...My question to him or anyone else who uses Trac II blades is this: where do you get the best Trac II blades? Can't find at Wally World...only the expensive $15 Gillettes...I found some Comfort Coated twin blades at Publix for $3.99 for 10 blades the other night...it says made by American Safety Razor Co...will these be of same quality as the Personna DE's I bought at Wally World? I'm thinking American Safety Razor Co. is a "good thing." Any thoughts?

Unfortunately, just recently WalMart discontinued carrying the Personna "Twin II" clone cartridges. They were s great and relatively cheap alternative for travel shaving. I'm sure you could pick up some of those carts online directly from the manufacturer, but read on for more information...

American Safety Razor (sometimes abbreviated ASR here and elsewhere) are indeed the maker of the Personna Trac II clone carts. As far as I know, Personna's Twin II (available with or without a lube strip - my preference is without) and Gillette's Trac II are the only US-made and US distributed Trac II carts. Gillettes will always be branded as such, but Personna/ASR carts will show up in all kinds of house brands. Have no fear: they are all the same carts, only the packaging (and the price) will be different.

I also believe that ASR is putting out a Trac II/Atra hybrid cart that fits either system which is available in some discount stores, but I'm not 100% sure of that. If you're ever in doubt, turn the package over and read the fine print. You're sure to find ASR's name there somewhere; if not, I'd be wary of the quality of the blades.

Try your local Dollar General of Family Dollar store as a shaving resource - they might have a stock of store-branded ASR Twin II carts for cheap, and you can pick up some "Ivory Club" Old Spice clone and/or Barbasol aftershaves for next to nothing while you're there.

EDIT: I miss ClubmanRob too!

Last edited:
Top Bottom