What's new

Bowl or Face Lather. What Brush Suits? Badger vs Boar

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I've never built up lather on my face.... but I don't just paint my face after I bowl lather, so I get to enjoy the nice feel of the brush on my face.

I started out with just synth brushes and was content.... but you know... it's B&B. You read about the experiences of others and wonder what they mean. There is no way to adequately explain what natural fibers feel like on your face. People can give hints but unless you try it, you can't really grasp it. I mean, it's like trying to help someone who has never held a mango in their hand...what they feel like, the texture when you cut them open... the smell... the taste. How can you describe that in a way someone can really understand? So I started trying different bristle brushes. It's been a very enjoyable journey for me... tons of fun and a bit of cash but not without research and careful planning.

So... the Misturas were my first non-synth brushes. I just loved the SOC brushes right out of the box. They are not the same as my very good synth brushes.

Along that journey, people started discussing boars and I read the entire December 2021 Boar month and added some boars to my little collection.... They are all breaking in nicely.

Finally, I tried a badger brush, again, because this particular brush kept coming up, i.e., the Zenith Manchurian. I bought it with the copper 506 handle. Again... completely different but very enjoyable. I added a few badgers after that....

Do we all need to do what I did? Of course not... some people own one brush... one type of bristle and are completely content. Other people add a couple brushes of one type or another. Other people have large collections. There is no right or wrong way to travel the path to shaving nirvana. And as has been said repeatedly.... perhaps it's the journey... not the destination. <eg>

Reviving the thread just to say for me bowl lathering is less messy, can hold a warmer lather, and gives me a nice opening of the soap scent in the restroom as I'm lathering. That scent opening comes to fruition when I apply it to the face and get the full scent blast. Sort of a meditative routine for me.

Over everything it's the less mess that made me switch to the bowl...unless I add to much water and the lather is runny 🤔

Top Bottom