What's new

Bowl or Face Lather. What Brush Suits? Badger vs Boar

I’m still pretty new to DE shaving, but I have been acquiring various brush types and sizes.
Synthetic-Badger-Boar-Badger/Boar.
Are one of these brush types preferable to the other in performing certain tasks such as face lathering vs bowl lathering?
I know everyone has their own personal peccadilloes regarding what is best for them, but is there some kind of general agreement on this matter?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
In terms of hair type I do not think any is better for bowl or face lathering, instead each user will have their personal preference. I face lather and prefer a short lofted scrubby two band badger brush with a knot no larger than 25mm. If I had to generalise for badger I would say that the fashion now is for brushes at least 26mm with a lower loft than in recent years as floppy brushes seem to be less in favour these days. I have always thought that a longer handle lends itself to bowl lathering especially if the shape narrows towards the knot so as not to bang the sides of the bowl. I am generalizing and could be wrong.

I use badger, boar and synthetic brushes and I bowl lather exclusively. They all work well for bowl lathering. And I'll bet that they all work well for face lathering as well, although I can't attest to that since I've never face lathered.

Its really all what you like. When I used boars, I use to face lather with them all the time and I could have bowl lathered with them just as easily too if I had wanted.
Really, its all just what you like. Im honestly coming around to the idea that synthetics have made natural hair brushes obsolete. Synthetics are so cheap and are so easy to make a great lather with, I sometimes feel like natural hair brushes just arent neccesary anymore.

Question: "Are one of these brush types preferable to the other in performing certain tasks such as face lathering vs bowl lathering?"

The answer is no. We are all fortunate to live in the golden age of wet shaving. The variety of natural or synthetic hair brushes makes for an abundance of good, effective lather making tools. One can spend any amount of money to buy premium brushes (custom made or mass produced) or get perfectly effective very inexpensive brushes.

For me, my preferences change over time. Last year I used a lot of new synthetic brushes, comparing them to older synthetics.. I enjoyed the experience very much. This year, I've moved on to budget boar brushes with an occasional 2-band experience.

Face lather, bowl lather (I'll add learn to use your hand as a bowl, to learn how good lather feels.), both work wonderfully.

Good Luck, have fun and enjoy.

I tried face lathering with a Semogue Owners Club Boar ( new) and reddened and irritated my face so much I had to stop.
I'm sure if I had waited to break it in, results would have been much better.

My next try at face lathering was with a Chubby1 Super Badger and I loved it from the first use!
I'm guessing individual brushes feel different on different faces.

I just bowl lathered a brand new out of the box Semogue Owners Club Boar and I got the biggest nicest bowlful of creamy lather I’ve ever had. Maybe because it’s new and stiff I don’t know. This brush has a lot of backbone compared to my synthetics, and I think I like a stiffer brush in the bowl. Its my first boar, so I don’t know how much they soften up.

I personally only have two synthetics. A real scratchy 5$ Marshall’s brush that does the job well enough to never need another. Then Bought a turtleship shaving co brush because the handles made me trip out, otherwise wouldve bought one from elite razor. Synthetics are my choice because they’re better hygiene as i face lather

I exclusively face lather. Badger and boar both work for me (Simpsons CH1 in best/Semogue 610).

IMHO shorter lofts are appropriate for the task. YMMV.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Though I own a silvertip, I pretty much never use it as I prefer synthetics. They just work better and are more convenient (no soaking, easier to clean, quick drying, no break-in, no odor, etc.).

Sometimes I face lather, but mostly I bowl lather, and the synths do a fine job either way. (And they sure do whip up a glorious avalanche of lather when using Arko.)

Only issue I have is with one brush, an old H.I.S; it does not like to splay. That's why God gave us chins--as a facial feature on which to splay stubborn brushes.

Face is far superior in my opinion.
1) You don’t waste lather
2) Building a lather on your face is a great way to prep your skin for the shave.
3) Feels fantastic.
4) Less clean up.

Pros of bowl lathering? -None
I used to think that but recently, I've realized some pros of bowl lathering. I can get a quicker, hydrated lather by adding a good amount of water in the beginning and also, it saves some of the face exfoliation. My skin can get irritated with extended face lather so I save some of that for the bowl. I like both ways.

Top Bottom