What's new

Boutoniere & pocket square

I enjoy wearing both, but I am not certain if they are appropriate, either singly or in combination, for after 6PM. Would someone please enlighten me?

Thanks in advance, Ron I

Last edited:
My rule of thumb (as is others') is one standout piece. At a very formal occasion like a wedding, a bout and a square would be fine. But for general after 6 - I'd go square all the way.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

Mind you, in this day and age just wearing a jacket and tie is odd and 'really dressy' so ... with two "sizzle pieces" hanging on your jacket, I'd have the rest of my outfit being more on the unobtrusive side.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^^Really, it's all about the context of the rest of society. Might have been normal before, but just using a pocket square nowadays is enough to wow some people, ha.

It's really a fine line to tread to have it look good, and not have yourself looking "festooned" rather than just dressed up. It's sort of a cliche to say this, but if you have to ask an internet forum if it's OK, you should probably not attempt it until you're comfortable deciding if it looks good on your own.

My general opinion on pairings that might work:

1) Colorful boutonniere with a simple white square-fold linen or cotton pocket square.
2) Colorful pocket square with a small, white or other subdued color boutonniere. Even better a subtle lapel pin.
3) Substitute a nice shiny tie bar for either the boutonniere or pocket square.
Tie bar + square = more somber/serious.
Tie bar + boutonniere = more festive.

Of course, this all goes out the window if you're a groom, are in a wedding party, or are otherwise some kind of guest of honor. In these cases it's OK to go ahead and stand out a little bit. Otherwise you risk looking like you're just peacocking.

Last edited:
Hm, I don't think at this point I'd ever consider a boutonniere on any occasion unless I was in a wedding party, or at a very fancy black tie event that required a tuxedo. The fanciest events I tend to go to are weddings, and a flower on the lapel at a wedding usually denotes being a part of the wedding party. IMO, wearing one to a wedding would be a little out of place (but thats just my opinion).

Pocket squares are fair game though. Probably a little out of place in a business setting, but otherwise go all out. I don't have to ever wear suits to work, so I'm not concerned about that. For me, if I'm wearing a suit, it will be a nicer occasion, so a pocket square would never be out of the question.

Top Bottom