What's new

Bourbon

There is a small distillery called Henry McKenna. I prefer it to the other brands mentioned here. It is far less expensive than Maker's Mark so buy yourself a puck of Tabac with the savings.

+1

Henry McKenna, which calls itself “Kentucky’s Finest Table Whiskey,” is one of many good, inexpensive bourbons from the Heaven Hill distillery.

Here is HH's site showing McKenna and some of its brethren; Evan Williams, Elijah Craig, Old Fitzgerald (the wheater) and my favorite "bad boy" Fightin' ****. Almost all of these shown cost less than Maker's. The **** isn't exactly great whiskey, but it's got the funnest image going.

A nice range of whiskies from one of America's great bourbon makers. Heaven Hill makes hundreds of brands - perhaps even in a supermarket label near you.

Roger

Last edited:
It is always interesting reading what other folks love and I don't. Bulleit was not very good for me and I thought Henry McKenna Bond Strength was the biggest disappointment ever for the price.

In approximate order of my favorites available for $40 or less, Four Roses Single Barrel, Woodford Reserve, Evan Williams Single Barrel, 1792 Reserve, Basil Hayden, Eagle Rare, and Knob Creek.

Above the $40 range, Vintage Bourbon, Blantons, Bookers, Bakers.

Costco had a 1.5 liter of 1792 Reserve for $39 that had to be the best bang for your buck ever.

Day to day - Jim Beam Black.

Hammer time - Wild Tukey 101. Thats my special "Gobbler juice" GO HOKIES!

Sippin - Maker's Mark

Old Fitzgerald 1849 & Old Forester are excellent bourbons. It seems difficult to find a truly "bad" Kentucky Straight Bourbon; not so for blends.

Day to day - Jim Beam Black.

Hammer time - Wild Tukey 101. Thats my special "Gobbler juice" GO HOKIES!

Sippin - Maker's Mark

Sooo a Hokie is a Turkey? Always wondered what they were.

Has anyone tried Russells reserve? The grocery store I shop at has a little sign displaying a high rating from some whiskey magazine. The bourbon is pretty cheap. Thinking about giving it a try.

also if I see this: http://www.uncrate.com/men/culture/drinks/makers-46/
im gonna buy it!

Last edited:
Maker's Mark 46.

Just came out last week (I was in Kentucky at the Maker's Mark restaurant). More complex than regular Maker's. If you can find it, try it. I think it's in stores in 2 weeks.

I drank Woodford Reserve and Old Forester Special Reserve(I think) when I could drink. I enjoy bourbon in general, but those two were my favorites in the fair to middle price range of commonly stocked items where I live. I have some Evan Williams and Wild Turkey kicking around, but didn't like them as much as the other two.

I found the Woodford to be crisp and smooth, with intensely flavorful notes and a touch of copper in the flavor. The Forester is a dark, smoky, velvety drink that really warms up past the first sip with a rounder, robust flavor.

Maker's Mark 46.

Just came out last week (I was in Kentucky at the Maker's Mark restaurant). More complex than regular Maker's. If you can find it, try it. I think it's in stores in 2 weeks.

Wait, they've made an improvement to Maker's Mark? That's awesome! too bad the LCBO will probably not stock this too. Along with just about everything Wild Turkey puts out. I really don't like my government sometimes.

I, being originally from Kentucky, have quite the taste for bourbon. I gave this thread a fairly cursory glance, and found that noone had mentioned my personal favorite, Booker's.

Now, I'll grant, yes its a little over $40 a fifth, (usually around $55), but it has a good taste and considering that it is somewhere in the range of 123-128 proof, it packs quite a wallop, lol.

All the others mentioned are pretty good, too. Though, after Booker's, my next favorite would have to be Maker's Mark. I love that stuff....

Here's some pics of the Booker's.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I linked the last pic to an info page about it. Non-obfuscated link here: http://www.internetwines.com/mb311504.html

S'good stuff. A tad pricey, but well worth it, IMO.

Last edited:
For bourbon (within your price range), it's tough to beat Ol' Grandad 114.
Evan Williams, Weller's, and Bulleit are very good.

I don't care for Buffalo Trace--the quality seems to vary from batch to batch.

For rye, which is all I really drink, one of the best ever, is Templeton Rye out of Iowa. It's a little hard to find (in fact, REAL hard to find if you don't live in Iowa or Illinois), but I bought 4 cases the last time I was in Iowa, so I have enough to last me a couple of decades (ok, a couple of years).

The best kept secret in kentucky bourbons has to be Corner's Creek. Snap up a case if you can get it under $25.

Baker's is the best neat bourbon ever--with 1 tbls of ice water per ounce. I know that's not quite "neat" but that's what makes it better.

wild turkey rare breed and elijah. these 2 bourbons are great without being sickly sweet like cough medicine, buffalo trace being one of em.

rare breed packs a good punch.

I am a Scotch drinker who was recently introduced to Jack Daniels out of necessity (there was no scotch where I was for a week). I don' know if I am correct but I thought JD was a type of Bourbon.
Also, if some one would not mind comparing the taste of the bourbons mentioned in the thread and JD and Scotch I would appreciate it. I'll give it a try but I don't know which to buy.

Okole Maluna!!

JD and GD are Tennessee Whiskys close to bourbon but due to the sugar maple charcoal filtering process are not classified as such.

JD is no more Bourbon than Cutty Sark is wine, lol.
To a Bourbon drinker (especially one from KY ;) ), JD just tastes...off. Well, for me at lest. Not bad, just...wrong.

'Course I'll still drink Old Crow and get a smile from it, so, YMMV, lol. Ancient Age on the other hand... ewww.... Drank it; didn't like it, but I drank it. :lol:

Makers and Woodford for me (tonight it's the former). I am very excited to try some of the others listed in this thread, though.

Top Bottom