What's new

Bourbon + Root Beer

I have a friend who swears by it. I always drink bourbon neat but the flavor combination does make sense. Next time I have both root beer and some cheap Evan Williams in the house I will give it a try.

"Root" is a brand of liqueur made by Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction, a Philadelphia-based artist collective, that tastes like a truly wonderful, highly concentrated, but not too sweet, root beer. As I recall, their web page has some mixed drink ideas, including drinks based on bourbon or rye, that looked pretty good. So, sort of along the same lines, and gives some cred to root beer and bourbon. I had a bottle of Root at one point, and intended to play around with it in mixed drinks, but liked it so much I pretty much finished it off without every having mixed it with anything. Seemed pretty much an amaro to me. I am seeing a lot of amaro in mixed drinks these days. I cannot say that I have loved it as a mixer, but, again, lends credence to root beer as a mixer.

Tequila and Mountain Dew is the modern classic "redneck margarita." I would say absolutely as legit a mixed drink as Jack and Coke. If a true Mexican paloma is tequila and Squirt brand grapefruit soda, I do not see why Mountain Dew--especially, say, the kind made with real cane sugar, is not a good mixer. When I was growing up, decades before MD started marketing itself as a hip, younger man's soft drink, middle-aged guys in my neighborhood who used to work on cars in one of their front yards, used to drink MD and gin all night every night. I do not think they would have liked the name Gin-Dew.

This weekend some neighbors all got together. We all brought our own liquor and mixers. Here's a list of some of the drinks they had:
  • Vodka and Dr. Pepper. She added a tsp of lemon juice and one cherry.
  • Bourbon and Diet Coke with a lemon twist.
  • Tequila with lemon juice and ginger ale.
  • Rye and Ginger ale.
  • Old Fashion.
  • Crown Royal on the rocks.
  • Glenlivet straight.
  • Assorted wines and beer.
What surprised me was that only one person of the 15 had a vodka drink.
Can I come over?

Top Bottom