What's new

Good Ol' Wild Turkey 101: It took me a while

So I very rarely buy the same bottle of whisky(ey) 2 times in a given month (except for Bulleit Rye) as I enjoy trying all that is out there and there is a whole lot out there. Many times I have sat there staring at WT 101 and just never seem to pull the trigger.

A few things are always running through my head while standing there:

1) the line from Christmas vacation that references it. Cousin Eddie: "Yeah, I got the daughter in the clinic, getting cured off the Wild Turkey[FONT=arial, sans-serif]."[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]2) A fraternity from my wife's college who have it as their signature drink (their nickname is/was the gobblers) and the few times we have been there for big events it gets consumed out of the big handle jug with little to no respect for themselves or anyone around them. Just a few months ago this fraternity was disbanded by the college after multiple infractions over the recent years.

So I finally brought home a bottle yesterday putting all my reserves behind me in order to give it a fair chance. I was pleasantly surprised when I cracked it open last night. My tastes/preferances really sway from bourbon to irish to scotch to peated scotch throughout the year (although rye is always appealing for some reason). Right now I am kind of swinging the bourbon way as I am going over the rocks more with a little warmth showing in the weather.

Had it neat first to get the true essence and was incredibly happy with my purchase right off the bat. Not as much heat as I was expecting although you could tell it was 101. Smoother than expected with a distinct path of the flavors. For me the spice was more up front and the finish was sweet. The thing I liked about the finish was it leveled off before it got too sweet. Very happy with its character as a sipping whiskey.

Savored the little I had poured neat for a bit then mixed it up in a Manhattan and was happy how it stood up in the cocktail. I like Rye Manhattans, especially when ordering at a bar, because the rye holds up to the other ingredients even if the bartend gets the ratio's off a bit. The WT held up well and provided a nice backbone with the 101 proof.

I am a bit of a value conscious drinker but I never sacrifice taste/satisfaction so when I can get the price/enjoyment ratio right I am thrilled. I gravitate to whisky(ey) that tastes much better than it costs (EC 12, Tullamore Dew, Bulleit Rye, Four Roses Small Batch, OGD BIB, etc). I feel like WT 101 Ranks up with the best in that category.

If you have hesitated because of some of the reputation that it has then I urge you to push past that and pick a bottle up. It is truly fine stuff when respected.
[/FONT]

Couldn't agree more. WT has become my go to every day bourbon. A couple weeks ago, the big bottle was on sale for $36 so I picked up two and decanted into three WT bottles I had saved. Now I'm set for a while. It's a fantastic bourbon for the price. I'm staying away from the WT 80 as I'm sure it doesn't hold up. But why would you get the 80 since they're selling it for the same price as the 101?

I went to a whiskey tasting event a few weeks ago, and among all the small "boutique" distillers (some of which were really excellent) there was Wild Turkey. Never having thought much about it due to it's cheap reputation, I was pleasantly surprised. After trying samples of a few of their varieties, I found WT 101 to be the star of their lineup. It (and Four Roses Small Batch) was my surprise find at that event and has taken a place in my cabinet as my new favorite every-day bourbon.

Another interesting fact -- WT 101 is essentially the "original" Wild Turkey. They were always known for having an oddball ABV of 101. In the 1940s(?) American tastes wanted a lower ABV so the 80 (now 81) proof variety was introduced.

PS: The "best" whiskey at the tasting was, in my humble opinion, Clyde Mays "Alabama" Whiskey

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I have discovered that the higher proofs are much smoother.

I like JD Single Barrel but their same that is bottled for international sale (Silver Select) is 100 proof and is very smooth.

WT 101 and Rare Breed are special.

Good review. I had some WT101 recently after not having had it for a long time. I think WT 101 is underrated, or at least underappreciated, too. And overall bourbon is a bargain. There is great quality at fairly low price points. I do not think there is good scotch or cognac at lower price points. I think Irish whisky is more arguable, although the same firm puts most of it out, so I am sure they have a good idea of what quality they want to sell at what price.

I have discovered that the higher proofs are much smoother.

I like JD Single Barrel but their same that is bottled for international sale (Silver Select) is 100 proof and is very smooth.

WT 101 and Rare Breed are special.

101 & Rare Breed are my favorites. I just found bottle of Russell's Reserved Single Barrel for the same price as Rare Breed. Also excellent.

I post this as I watch the Ken Burns special on the prohibition on PBS. How coincidental. I've travelled with the Turk on many outdoor trips, most memorable are trip to the Boundary Water Canoe Area of Northern Minnesota, Isle Royale just offshore on Lake Superior and backpacking in remote areas of Colorado (the Flat Tops and San Juan Mountains). The way I figured, take as much proof in a bottle as possible, and after a day in the mountains lakes, there was nothing better than nipping off the Turk bottle to set my mind just right for a nice sunset. Or, to get through a rainy day.

I love Wild Turkey 101. It is my go to bourbon. I like you try and mix it up month to month, but always end up back at the turkey. It has a high rye content which I like, but combines with a real richness that reminds me of Elijah Craig. A lot of High proof bourbons are light feeling, but this is a dark, deep bourbon. I went to the distillery this past fall and got to meet the Master Distiller Jimmy Russel (I think it was jimmy....not sure after the tasting ;) I'm a bit of a fan boy though as I enjoy their full line with Rare Breed being my absolute favorite. If you like bullet rye try Russel's Reserve Rye. Its a smoother and fuller rye in my opinion.

As I wrote that i was tasting OGD 100 BIB for the first time, and I have to agree, a great bottle! for $15 here in Columbus, this is certainly moving up the ranks!

Good review. I had some WT101 recently after not having had it for a long time. I think WT 101 is underrated, or at least underappreciated, too. And overall bourbon is a bargain. There is great quality at fairly low price points. I do not think there is good scotch or cognac at lower price points. I think Irish whisky is more arguable, although the same firm puts most of it out, so I am sure they have a good idea of what quality they want to sell at what price.

+1. Terrific value.

Top Bottom