What's new

Boomerang

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
It is hilarious how the attempt to cancel Jason Aldean for his patriotic song has turned out. It hit number 1. Even the Governor of South Dakota invited him to play anywhere in the state...even on the front lawn of the Governor's mansion. :lol::lol::lol:

Will these people, like Bud Light, Target, Disney, etc. ever learn not to insult their customers or the country they are doing business in? They are the ones getting cancelled. I love it!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
This might stray too far into the political waters, but I will respond. I really appreciate his music and his 'Small Town' song resonates with me, even though I don't like in a small town ... yet.

You need to move to the southern part of the country when you retire...or before. :)

This thread wasn't intended to be political...just a slam on cancel culture. It needs to be canceled like Jason said.

How come no one complains about Spain invading Mexico in 1519? Hmmmm.

You need to move to the southern part of the country when you retire...or before. :)

This thread wasn't intended to be political...just a slam on cancel culture. It needs to be canceled like Jason said.

How come no one complains about Spain invading Mexico in 1519? Hmmmm.
It is in the plan. My folks and many reletives are down south, as in just a bit north of Kennesaw Georgia. It is truly God's country and all I dream about as I get closer to an actual retirement date.

It is hilarious how the attempt to cancel Jason Aldean for his patriotic song has turned out. It hit number 1. Even the Governor of South Dakota invited him to play anywhere in the state...even on the front lawn of the Governor's mansion. :lol::lol::lol:

Will these people, like Bud Light, Target, Disney, etc. ever learn not to insult their customers or the country they are doing business in? They are the ones getting cancelled. I love it!
I tried, but couldn't let this one go. I'm not sure that Aldean's song hitting number 1 is evidence of the "cancel" back firing. The people the song speaks to are likely encouraged to seek the song out MORE since they know there is a large portion of the population that finds it offensive. There's also the portion of the population who has never heard of Jason Aldean who seek the song out to understand what all the fuss is about. If anything, Mr. Aldean should probably be thankful this song caused such controversy, as it's doubtful the song would be so popular without it.

Regarding Bud Light, Target, etc... they have not done anything to "insult" their "customers". They attempted to reach a group of customers who are underserved currently. The fact that the previous "customers" are insulted by bringing others in says less about the companies and more about the nature of the previous customers you mentioned.

People are welcome to do business with and consume whatever products/stores they want. I'm not going to debate why one should or should not shop at Target. But I personally find it ridiculous that offering a shirt with a rainbow on it gets people who claim to be tough so riled up that they abuse store clients who have nothing to do with what product goes on the shelves.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Speaking of singers...I saw this minor celebrity at the Cain's Ballroom in Tulsa in the late '70s or early '80s. He was drunk on his...donkey, but still did a good show. Especially in that smaller, more personal venue. His Daddy played there, as did Bob Wills and others of that earlier era.

Junior is still alive...I think.

I'm sure the indigenous people were complaining a bunch at the time.

I read The Conquest Of New Spain by Bernal Diaz, one of Cortez' conquistadors.

It's really fascinating.

The Aztecs were hated by everybody that they ruled over
and it was easy for Cortez with only a couple of hundred soldiers
to form alliances with most of them.

The second wave of soldiers was much larger than the first
and they were sent to arrest Cortez,
because that was the way of Spanish politics in those days;
Columbus had previously had similar problems.
But there was so much gold all over the place that Cortez
was able to persuade the second wave to see things his way.

Mel Gibson's Apacalypto was about Mayans, but the culture was very similar to the Aztecs
regarding the human sacrifices on the pyramids
and the general oppression that goes with that.

In those days, the Aztecs made a meat stew using the arms and legs of captives,
with chile peppers and tomatoes.

And so in conclusion,
welcoming invaders who *weren't* going to tear out their beating hearts
as a form of public entertainment and who also weren't cannibals,
was an acceptable alternative to the status quo
for a majority of those subjected to Aztec rule.

Top Bottom