What's new

Böker's Gold Plating QC?

Böker's Gold Plating and Your Vendor's Actions

• You are too picky. It is normal for gold plating. Just enjoy the razor.

• It would bother me too. It's Böker's fault. I would return it.

• My vendor would take it back for a refund or an another Graf Evenhard.

• My vendor wouldn't take it back since the seal's are broken, box is open.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Hello all!

I need your opinions on my recent purchase please, both on the straight razor's gold plating and the vendor's attitude.

20230514_164516-01.jpeg

I bought the Böker Graf Evenhardt last Thursday and it arrived to my door yesterday. Excited as kid with a 3 day old stubble I opened the box, and started to enjoy the looks. But it was short-lived, it didn't took long to realize the missing gold-plating on top the spine:

20230514_164510-01.jpeg

I might be to picky, but is this acceptable? I mean the gold plating on my Dovo Bismarck 2 (which is almost half the price) is perfect. This is my third SR and second gold plated one, so I am asking for your expert opinions please. How frequent a spot like this is missed during the gold plating?

I had planned to use this straight razor almost weekly for long a time, it wouldn't be a shelf queen. I wouldn't mind a missing spot on the edge of the spine, since with time and whet stones it would be missing anyways. However the missing spot is on top of the spine, which is always be there. In addition, I am aware these are hand-made pieces and they wont be perfect. For example the "extra" gold near the shoulder does not bother me:

20230514_164528-01.jpeg

Please vote on the poll to use it as is or return it.

Which brings it to me the second problem/poll. The shop that I ordered the razor from is 300km away from my home, so shipping it was the logical decision. When I called the shop about the issue, they said "We will ask Böker about it, and reply to you in a week. We can't accept it back since it is used." I replied "I did not use it, the original oil is still on the blade. And how could I be aware of this defect without opening the box." The box is transparent but their stickers were on the paper sleeve, and to be honest I would still open the box with excitement even if the sticker was on the box's flap.

How would your local vendor would help you in a similar situation. Please vote on the same poll as well.

20230514_164612-01.jpeg

20230514_164644-01.jpeg

Cheers,
Sinan

Last edited:
Think the plating job was not as good as the company can do, or should have done. Knowing nothing about straights, assume this was not cheap?

Looking at companies web-site this is pricy item, your High Dollar Straight should Reflect Quality Plating IMHO for that price.

Everyone has different feelings about aesthetic issues. I take very good care of my razors, and I would be unhappy if a razor had aesthetic issues. I would return it to the vendor.

I have been in manufacturing all my life. And I have found that many QC managers will waive aesthetic defects if function is good. That's just one of the problems we have today as a result of mass production. I recently purchased a new and quite pricey Wacker that would not center because of a faulty wedge. My vendor replaced the wedge and the razor is nor picture perfect. I expected more from Wacker, especially at that price point. I purchased a beautiful Thiers Issard with plastic flash streaming from the scales and a very loose pivot. I was able to deal with those problems myself; but I was not happy.

You are not happy, and for a good reason. The work is sloppy. Send it back.

Do what feels right to you. It's your razor, no one else's.
What another vendor would do has no bearing on your situation.

Going forward, always know what the fine print details of your vendor's return policy are.

Me, I'd probably contact Boker directly, with pix, etc.

Very good, and well done to Böker.

Many manufacturers will say things like this are not defects and they are within their tolerances, and as long as the product functions you can’t really do anything about it. In cases of cosmetic issues I think the manufacturer responses should be posted here (as this one was) so that we all know what standard each manufacturer feels is representative of their business. I’m glad Böker sets a high standard for their products.

Yea, I would have returned it also. But I would never buy a new Gold-plated razor. Gold is very fragile, and gold will be removed with just normal handling.

I have completely removed all the Gold on customer razors, once scratched it begins to look ratty. Gold is easily removed with a Scotch Brite buffer and then re-buffed to a bright finish.

That is a pricy razor that I would be afraid to use. All my razors are honed and in shaving rotation.

I have the three razors in that set and the plating was fine on mine when they arrived. I am sure they will wear over time.
The 5/8s one is my favourite it shaves very nicely indeed.

The day after Böker accepted the return of subpar gold coating, I was able to replace the razor with a new one. It's gold coating was almost perfect, although the horn scales were less dramatic. Although the look of the scales grew on me, I wish the "wedge" between the scales was also horn not carbon fiber (too modern and the black of carbon fiber shows through the white horn).

Apart from the looks, the factory edge was almost unusable. If I remember the feel correctly, Böker was even worse than my DOVO Bismarck 2's factory edge.

During honing upon close inspection with a loope, I realized two small defects. On the branded side, near the tip polished face was scratched beyond the bevel. And on the other side there was a very small depression on the bevel towards the heel. I had tried to take it off with my 1000 stone but I suppose I will let the time and the repeated honing remove it.

Overall I was unlucky twice with Böker, but after the first shave I forgotten all. The feel of the blade on my face and the feel of the razor in my hand was pleasing.

Here is a small video I have made to put the factory edge of the Graf Everhardt into perspective:
(I thought "shaving" dry would shove the difference between the SR's better, I don't shave dry ofc 😀)

Last edited:
Reactions: JPO
Although the look of the scales grew on me, I wish the "wedge" between the scales was also horn not carbon fiber (too modern and the black of carbon fiber shows through the white horn)
I don't know why they do that because the cost difference will be minimal, but they use carbon fiber wedges or spaces on most (maybe even all) of their razors.

Apart from the looks, the factory edge was almost unusable. If I remember the feel correctly, Böker was even worse than my DOVO Bismarck 2's factory edge.
I still hope one day manufacturers will either put a stellar edge on or just ship without even honing them.

During honing upon close inspection with a loope, I realized two small defects. On the branded side, near the tip polished face was scratched beyond the bevel. And on the other side there was a very small depression on the bevel towards the heel
Most new razors from the common manufacturers I got have different sorts of defects:
- Boker: misaligned gold wash, not shave ready, slightly loose pin;
- Dovo: warped blade, some minor scratches on blade or scales, not shave ready, minor chips in the edge;
- TI: warped blades, loose pins;
- Koraat: not properly polished, it looked like some progression steps were skipped, rough grinding and polishing of the spacer and the scales area around the spacer;
- Ralf Aust: I recieved a razor which was not heat treated.

Now, some of them are minor and can be easily ignored or fixed by us, so I don't mind them that much anymore (they used to bother me in the beginning), but some of them can be major and the razor needs to be reworked, replaced or thrown away. I also think most manufacturers and enthusiasts/collectors (people buying more razors than they need) have different standards of quality.

So far, the only two flawless razors I got were Riga.

Top Bottom