What's new

Boar - Drippy to Lather Black Hole

Sorry, not Boar I meant Badger!!!

I know that personal preferences are subjective. That being said I'm looking for that sweet spot. I already own about 15 shaving brushes (a mere drop in the bucket I know).

I'm looking for that sweet spot between drippy synthetics and lather hog naturals.

I need you input on these three brushes
*** Cost aside, my three choices are the RazoRock HMW, RazoRock Chubby Silvertip, and the Zenith 27.5 Manchurian ***

Synthetics have great softness. They usually give back great lather. However, being synthetic they can get wet and drippy at times. Badgers hold warmth and are usually good at holding water. However they can sometimes be lather hogs.

The 3 boars (including Semogue 1520) I have have wonderfully soft tips, but the backbone makes me feel like I am lathering with a stiff paint brush. They hardly ever get used since I discovered synthetics.

I like my 7 synthetics (Plisson, Plissoft, Tuxedo). I can live with the flop from my Plisson). I just want to avoid having to shave with a bib or bare chested from the drips. (yes, I have learned to make them behave, but can still occasionally get drenched when I splay too much).

My 5 badgers include a PixelFixed custom with TGN HMW, New York Shaving Company (Pure Badger) x2, a New York Shaving Company (Black Badger), and a Simpson Special 1 Pure Badger. I can splay these brushes all day, but (exception for the TGN HMW) my delicate royal skin starts to feel raw long before I ever start dragging a razor over my face.

My preferences (from what I currently own):
Tip Softness -The Softest brush I own is the RazoRock Silvertip Plissoft (synthetic I know but soft).
Scritch - Not a fan of scritch, scratch or scrub. I exfoliate fine when I wash my face normally. I prefer gel like tips.
Backbone - Don't need a lot of backbone. I enjoy some splay. The RazoRock Silvertip Plissoft or NYSC brushes have fine enough backbone for me.
Lather loss - My biggest concern is lather loss. My TGN HMW goes beyond "Lather Hog" and into the realm of "Lather Black Hole"

... and discuss!

Last edited:
I prefer boar. From Omega cheapies, to a Semogue 830, to a couple TGN knots. I like stiff, yet individual bristles. Synths, as you noted, are drippy, the bristles clump together and is more akin to using a sponge. Likewise badger also clumps together in one solid mass for me. "Best" badger I have is a TGN A+ Silvertip, I also have a Shavemac Finest. While they are soft, the solid clump of brush makes lather slower than my splaying and flaying boars.

I picked up a Omega 10049 yesterday from a Black Friday online sale, interested to get it broken in and useable. I use a AOS Genuine Badger now, I love it - soft, lathers well, paints well, picks up scent mazingly.

I have boar, badger, mixed, and synthetic. The recently acquired Maggard Tuxedo in 22mm does not require a bib. I would prefer it if it were 20 or 21mm, tho. The trick is to start with a damp tip only brush. It is my cheapest brush, but darn impressive.

Before you buy a new brush, give your Tuxedo another shot. :)

Top Bottom