What's new

BlueJean Strop

has anyone made a strop out of bluejean (denim) material?

if so please share pics, dimensions, hardware, and build experiences.

call me crazy but I believe this would be a good finishing material.

I used search feature and found nothing.

thanks

camo

Many have and some of the Chinese strops seem to even use old used jeans LOL

Not great or you would hear more about it. Do a search and you will find plenty of threads and discussions. Give it a shot and let everyone know how it works for you.

Many have and some of the Chinese strops seem to even use old used jeans LOL

Not great or you would hear more about it. Do a search and you will find plenty of threads and discussions. Give it a shot and let everyone know how it works for you.

maybe its just me.

out of curiosity I've stropped on my thigh while wearing bluejeans. result was extremely good.

camo

I have stropped on blue jeans in a pinch, I folded them in half and rolled the bottom on the pants up a bit. Held the rolled up bottoms for tension and hung over a hotel hanger. That proved pretty effective!

I collect folding knives and have found denim to be an excellent stropping material. It’s not uncommon at all for knife stropping. (It makes great grips too)

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I've been using one over the past few months, about 6 to 8 very light laps only after each shave to just clean and dry the edge. I haven't felt like using it more as I think that it could be a bit too rough on the edge. I think they might be good used as a pasted strip, but I haven't yet found a need to use one as such.

I'll post a pic tomorrow morning. It's getting late in my little bit of paradise.

blue jean as a final finish lap.

can't blame a man for trying.

had a phenomenal shave this morn and am trying to analyze what all was done and what has changed.

blue jean strop is one of the variables. around 5 or 6 laps I believe.

camo

You're right... Denim makes an excellent stropping material!

While I never made a dedicated strop, I nearly always do 20 laps or so on the jeans I'm wearing with a freshened blade... And I have never cut my leg yet! :lemo:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
This is made from denim, folded to double thickness with the seam running down the middle on the underside. The double layer is glued together using rubber glue. Hardware came from an "old" (cut-up) Chinese strop.

Demin.jpg

maybe its just me.

out of curiosity I've stropped on my thigh while wearing bluejeans. result was extremely good.

camo
I've had good results from both linen and denim. I combined them on balsa taking care that the seams met diagonally using spray adhesive. Worked like a charm.

Image1.jpg

maybe its just me.

camo

Years back, at a Coupe-Chou Club reunion, I watched a guy strop his razors on the jeans he was wearing, claiming that's how he normally stropped. He was sitting down, stropping on his thigh, above the knee. In some ways, this is reminiscent of a felt-lined paddle strop, although with a much larger stropping area. I've used it to good effect many times with knives, but I have never tried a razor that way. Pretty sure it would work though, once you've got the knack of things.

has anyone made a strop out of bluejean (denim) material?
Yes Sir, I certainly have!
Just this morning after getting out of bed.

if so please share pics, dimensions, hardware, and build experiences.
You’re just begging for it, aren’t you?

call me crazy but I believe this would be a good finishing material.

I used search feature and found nothing.

thanks

camo

First I started with 30 by 32 inch Wrangler jeans, and then filled them with a meaty thigh like material.
I started by putting my right leg in first.
I then advanced on to putting my left leg in, and pulling the top part of the jeans up around my hips.
After I had them up snug, I button the top together, and then zipped up the zipper.
Wa-Lah, a denim strop!
It was quite a simple build actually, almost intuitive.
I would highly recommend it if you’re out in the bush.

2C770AEE-F853-40C9-8DAE-B5E01ECECBE1.jpeg

I stole some nice foam cushion rubber (3/4" maybe) from a deerstand seat cushion. cut to fit to board. pulled tight and stapled onto board.

twenty laps is my final step before shave ready now.

smooths out and refines sharpness further is my opinion.

@Dave Sl8r id support your technique......but at 5:15 AM I'm usually not wearing jeans!!!! lol.

camo

Top Bottom