What's new

Blue Star, Treet and PAL Blades

Are GEM Blue Stars, Treets and PAL Blues all the same blade but just rebranded and (for the PALs) blued as ASR took over other well established brands?

After all, you never see them in the same place at the same time do you?

I don't think Pakistani Treets have anything to do with ASR ,although the original Treet blades were made in the USA...I think the name Treet was just borrowed from the long defunct American Treets.

I don't think Pakistani Treets have anything to do with ASR ,although the original Treet blades were made in the USA...I think the name Treet was just borrowed from the long defunct American Treets.
We're talking the widely available US made Treet SE blades here NOT those awesome Pakistani Black Beauty DEs.

This true of the DE blades, but the SE blades are still made by ASR, I think. As to whether or not the carbon blades are all the same, I don't know. The PALs seem sharper to me than the other two so it's possible they are distinct from each other.

So...All of these blades are made by ASR or Personna ?...I know Dorco makes one ,I didn't like it,and Feather makes 2 varieties.I have some black Feathers,but even with the addition of a cannibalized spine,they did not fit well in my 1912 or bullet tip razors.

Attachments

• $asr.jpg
    $asr.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 94
Another "I don't know for sure" answer, but (to me) the GEM Blue Star and the Treet feel exactly the same. I don't get any of that one is sharper than the other; just that they're the same. They look the same, too. It's been a while since I used a PAL blue, so not sure on that one ...

I haven't tried the Treet blades, but in my experience the Gem Blue Star, PAL blue and CVS house brand all shave pretty much the same. I should mention that any controlled comparisons I have done (meaning w/same razor, soap, #/shaves, etc) have been comparing these blades with the stainless blades rather than against each other.

--Bob

I never could figure out why Feather cranks out 2 SE blades,but has no razor that fits them.The cheap ,but excellent Feather Popular DE razor would be nice in a SE edition...

I never could figure out why Feather cranks out 2 SE blades,but has no razor that fits them.The cheap ,but excellent Feather Popular DE razor would be nice in a SE edition...
Going way OT here, but Feather was founded in Japan by German ex-POWs after WW1.
They made a clone of the Valet razor (Japan was cloning a lot of Western stuff including battleships even prior to WW1).
The Feather SE blades were designed to fit those Valet clones and, luckily for us, they still make them :)

Doesn't seem logical that Feather would continue production of not one,but 2 SE blades for such a miniscule segment of the market...Is it possible Japan has an SE razor we don't know about in current production ?

Japan has quite a culture of hair shapers, which take long slim single edge blades with a spine as well as the Feather type folding and straight razors which have an even thinner and narrower blade like a long injector. I have yet to find anything that takes these Feather FHS & FAS blades other than vintage Valets.

It is a curious one and something I've pondered ... and searched for to no avail.

I'm surprised the PRC factories have not come up with a decent $10 SE razor that would fit the Feathers,the Feathers must be sharper than the Gems...I sure would buy one,or two !

I'm surprised the PRC factories have not come up with a decent $10 SE razor that would fit the Feathers,the Feathers must be sharper than the Gems...I sure would buy one,or two !
That razor, my friend, is the Valet.
They are surprisingly cheap on the bay.
And if you think Feathers are sharp you should try the NOS Blued Valets!

I'm sure I happened upon a picture of a Japanese Valet copy once ... I just can't place it, though.

EDIT: A-ha!

proxy.php

proxy.php

It could just be a simple re-brand or even a wishful owner who made it up. Who knows?

Last edited:
...The "auto-strop" model or another model ???..........
Any Valet you like - you'll pay a bit more for the VC4 "runner guard" model cos a lot of people think it's the smoothest but I like the VB2 best!

Anyway if it says Valet then the Feather blades should fit.

The Valet Auto Strops are plentiful and and often available for $10 (sometimes less!).

Here is a VC1 Valet Auto Strop with the Feather blade installed:

$autostrop21.JPG

These are good shavers, not to mention being some of the coolest looking razors out there.

To be honest, I'm not that impressed with the Feather blades. Sure they're sharp, but no more so than the Gem Stainless PTFE. They're also pricey, and I only get about 3 shaves out of a blade (compared to 12 or more from the Gems).

A Gem blade with the spine removed can also be used in the VC1.

--Bob

Top Bottom