What's new

Blinker? What's a blinker?

I've seen research where red light cameras are proving to be effective in some municipalities, people are being more cautious at stop lights in general. And no, rear end collisions are not on the increase because of people jamming on the brakes.

If you want real mayhem with a lack of turn signals, try Chicago freeways. People routinely perform "Hail Mary" lane changes across three to six lanes, amongst other things such as extreme tailgating at freeway speeds. no turn signals involved. :ohmy:

_JP_ said:
If you want real mayhem with a lack of turn signals, try Chicago freeways. People routinely perform "Hail Mary" lane changes across three to six lanes, amongst other things such as extreme tailgating at freeway speeds. no turn signals involved. :ohmy:
Also, their idea of merging onto the freeway is to charge straight ahead as fast as possible without ever looking to see if the lane is clear. I got one of them a couple of years ago that way. I had traffic beside me and couldn't move over although I saw what he was about to do. He plowed right under my trailer wheels and they crushed his car. Lucky for him (but not the gene pool) the idiot survived it.

Then there was the time we passed through Chicago on the freeway at about 3:00 A.M. and there was the dead body on the roadway. That was the last time that we went through there on out annual trip to the Boundary Waters, we found another route.

_JP_ said:
Then there was the time we passed through Chicago on the freeway at about 3:00 A.M. and there was the dead body on the roadway. That was the last time that we went through there on out annual trip to the Boundary Waters, we found another route.

:eek:

Boundary Waters is just breathtaking... *sigh*

I'd love to go back sometime

MasonM said:
Also, their idea of merging onto the freeway is to charge straight ahead as fast as possible without ever looking to see if the lane is clear.
I really dislike this. But I admit doing it a couple times, sometimes the conditions are such that if you don't do it, you'll never get on. What is one to do? The on ramp is very short, and leads right into the fast lane. Big time rush though.

Glad to say I don't do it much anymore. I find alternate routes.

mlebarron said:
, it doesn't seem to be as big a problem (parts of florida, utah, colorado come to mind, not counting tourist places).

Florida???

Florida has the all time worst drivers* in the world. 2 major points come to mind.

1. Everyone in FL is from somewhere else and so you take all the bad driving and concentrate it in one area. I have a theory that since FL especially S. FL is such a diverse place that there are no rules to the road... that everyone drives like they're from S. America, Haiti, Asia, Canada, Quebec & the NE. Oh yeah don't forget that everyone here is on a cell phone (b/c whatever they do is that important that it can't wait)

2. There are a ton of what I call the "Headless Drivers" down here too. You know the ones where all you see is steering wheel and hands. The blue hairs!!! Talk about not being able to use blinkers... these folks seemed to be ready for a turn 20-30 minutes before they get there. The thing just blinks and you're left wondering well are you going to change lanes make the turn what are you doing...?

And please let me know what roads are able to handle the congestion? Because S. FL has been growing at such an alarming rate the roads are just parking lots from Miami to West Palm for a good 3-4 hours a day. It's miserable...

You think the US is bad? Try Argentina. I went on a trip there once and people call the traffic the "flow" because there really little true organization. If you are on a multilane highway and need to change lanes you just start to creep into the next lane and the car next to you slides over in his lane a little until one of the two of you end up in front of the other. Thus, you can easily (and frequently) have four cars shoulder to shoulder on a divided highway with three lanes going each way.

Stop signs/lights only are important at major intersections all because a common way of pseudo-bribing the government consists of giving the government money for street signs. The money is then used to buy stop signs that are placed at any intersection that doesn't already have one, even if it is not needed. Thus everyone, including cops ignores it.

Then, my favorite. If there is a lane for left turns... It is not the leftmost lane like here, nope, it is the rightmost lane. Thus when the light is green for the turn lane, you are required to cross ALL lanes of traffic to make the turn. Proper procedure is demostrated on the below traffic sign.

proxy.php

fuerein said:
Then, my favorite. If there is a lane for left turns... It is not the leftmost lane like here, nope, it is the rightmost lane. Thus when the light is green for the turn lane, you are required to cross ALL lanes of traffic to make the turn. Proper procedure is demostrated on the below traffic sign.

proxy.php

That's called a jug handle. I think they have them in Jersey.

-Mo

Tito said:
Florida???

Florida has the all time worst drivers* in the world. 2 major points come to mind.

1. Everyone in FL is from somewhere else and so you take all the bad driving and concentrate it in one area. I have a theory that since FL especially S. FL is such a diverse place that there are no rules to the road... that everyone drives like they're from S. America, Haiti, Asia, Canada, Quebec & the NE. Oh yeah don't forget that everyone here is on a cell phone (b/c whatever they do is that important that it can't wait)

2. There are a ton of what I call the "Headless Drivers" down here too. You know the ones where all you see is steering wheel and hands. The blue hairs!!! Talk about not being able to use blinkers... these folks seemed to be ready for a turn 20-30 minutes before they get there. The thing just blinks and you're left wondering well are you going to change lanes make the turn what are you doing...?

And please let me know what roads are able to handle the congestion? Because S. FL has been growing at such an alarming rate the roads are just parking lots from Miami to West Palm for a good 3-4 hours a day. It's miserable...

I guess I should have mentioned that yes, I agree that most of Florida is horrible. When I was in Palm Coast it was nice though... everything flowed great and everyone seemed to actually understand what was going on. Once I left Palm Coast it was horrible, as were most of the major highways going there.

One other place in florida was nice too... although I forget the name of the city/town...

MasonM said:
Also, their idea of merging onto the freeway is to charge straight ahead as fast as possible without ever looking to see if the lane is clear.

Lane's don't have to be clear, do they? I thought that no matter what, I always had the right of way. Everyone else will move to accomodate whatever it is I want to do, whenever I want to do it.

mlebarron said:
Lane's don't have to be clear, do they? I thought that no matter what, I always had the right of way. Everyone else will move to accomodate whatever it is I want to do, whenever I want to do it.
:biggrin1: :biggrin1:
Lane markers, traffic signs (ESPECIALLY that one that reads "Slower traffic keep right) are really just "suggestions" anyway, right? More like guidelines?:blink:

I find by far that BMW drivers the worst offenders for not signaling. It is so bad sometimes that I begin to think turn signals are an option on some models.

Top Bottom