What's new

Blind test #7 - Med Prep vs Iridium Super

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I have a Med vs Lab lined up for a test soon. The next test is going to be Gillette 7 O'Clock black vs blue, but it may well be the one after that.

Here's one I can't wait to see! A group of us wrung them out pretty well a few months back and any pollster would tell you that the results were "well within the polls margin of error". Just to whet peoples' appetite for the Black vs Blue coming up ...

I sent several blue and black blades to 10 people to test and their results were posted here. I can't wait for your test, Oscroft! These threads are terrific! I appreciate you doing them.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...Gillette-blue-vs-black-Super-Plats?highlight=

I don't know if I'm more excited for the Med/Lab to begin, or to see just how long these two blades are going to go!

Great stuff, thanks for the effort.

I'm still learning all the blades so this question may be off a bit; will you be testing the 'winners' of each test against each other to get to the one-blade-to-rule-them-all one?

Great stuff, thanks for the effort.

I'm still learning all the blades so this question may be off a bit; will you be testing the 'winners' of each test against each other to get to the one-blade-to-rule-them-all one?

Not in any kind of formalized "knock out" sort of way, but I'm hoping to eventually cover as many combinations of the top blades as I can.

It's partly because I want to uncover qualitative differences more than just identifying "the best" - what's best for me won't be the best for someone else.

I think that would be more helpful, as different characteristics are important to different people. For example, I don't have the sensitive skin that many people have, and my beard is not tough - so I would favour different blades to other people, and I wouldn't want to rule out the "losers" from further comparisons.

Another thing I'm going to do is test using different razors. I chose EJ DE89s because that will probably be of more use to more people, but Open Comb razors are very popular, so I've acquired two Fatip Grande razors (in different colours) and will do tests with those too - blades do perform differently in different razors.

I hope that all makes sense.

Not in any kind of formalized "knock out" sort of way, but I'm hoping to eventually cover as many combinations of the top blades as I can.

It's partly because I want to uncover qualitative differences more than just identifying "the best" - what's best for me won't be the best for someone else.

I think that would be more helpful, as different characteristics are important to different people. For example, I don't have the sensitive skin that many people have, and my beard is not tough - so I would favour different blades to other people, and I wouldn't want to rule out the "losers" from further comparisons.

Another thing I'm going to do is test using different razors. I chose EJ DE89s because that will probably be of more use to more people, but Open Comb razors are very popular, so I've acquired two Fatip Grande razors (in different colours) and will do tests with those too - blades do perform differently in different razors.

I hope that all makes sense.

Your efforts are greatly appreciated. This is one of the best (if not the best) series of threads I have ever seen on B&B. Outstanding!

Alan your blade reviews are great benefits to all of us!! Than you so much for another fine review.....can't wait to see the final winner, but IMO they both seem to be winners right now!

Alan your blade reviews are great benefits to all of us!! Than you so much for another fine review.....can't wait to see the final winner, but IMO they both seem to be winners right now!

Thanks - and yes, I'm really impressed by how well both these blades are going, and I can't resist pushing them further.

Shave #16

Test set up as described in this thread here. This test compares a Personna Med Prep blade and an Iridium Super. I'm using two EJ razors, one black handle and one white, and I don't know which blade is in which.

White = right side of face
Black = left side of face

Brush = New Forest 2-band
Soap = Tabac
AS = Tabac

Pass 1, WTG: Pass 2, XTG: Pass 3, ATG: Definite drop off in sharpness now, to the extent that I think I've reached the end of the test. Black cut better on the WTG pass, both felt about the same XTG, and White managed the ATG pass better. But after the three passes, I did need a bit of buffing under my chin and along the jaw line, which I did.

Closeness: After 3 passes, closeness wasn't quite there, but after buffing I ended up with a very close shave.

Comfort: With the extra buffing needed, I wasn't as comfortable under my chin as I usually am, and it felt just a little raw - really not much, but it was there.

AS: Bit of sting from the Tabac, which is quite high in alcohol, but it felt good immediately afterwards. But after 10 minutes or so, I started to feel a bit of irritation around the chin, and I used some RSC balm to soothe it.

That's the equivalent of 8 shaves apiece, which is the most I've ever managed from a blade, and it's quite a remarkable performance. But that has to be the end of the test now - I could push another shave, but it's going to start giving me irritation now, so it's over.

Next post I'll sum up my thoughts for the whole test, and then the revelation - though which is which doesn't really seem to be all that important at this point.

Overall, there really wasn't much between these blades.

In the early shaves, they felt different without either being obviously better - but purely subjectively, I think I liked the feel and feedback of the White blade a little better.

But as the test progressed, I think the Black came back and in some shaves I marginally preferred the way that felt.

All I can really say for sure is that they are both excellent blades, and I'm glad I have a sizable stash of both of them :001_smile

Right, I'm off to open the razors, and we have...

White = Iridium Super
Black = Med Prep

After that mammoth test, I'm going to have a rest for a week or two, and catch up with Injectors, SE's, and other favourites. And then we'll be on for Gillette black vs blue in open comb Fatip razors.

In quantities of 100 I think the Med can be purchased for $25 - $30. For SI more like $50. The Personna Lab, which many insist is the same blade as the Med (I tend to agree), is available for $13.

I've been using both the Med and the SI pretty regularly recently, and while I pull them after 3 shaves,I characterize them both as reasonably sharp and forgiving blades, which I think is consistent with Oscroft's results. My most recent experience with the Lab was the same. The Lab can reasonably be considered a value priced blade that truly competes with some of the most premium priced that are the favorites of many B&B'rs.

Thanks for the reviews. I'll write this one off as a tie. Both of these are on my "favorites" list so I'm glad to see they held up so well.

Top Bottom