What's new

Blind test #7 - Med Prep vs Iridium Super

Shave #8

I'm back, after a couple of days away with my travel kit.

Test set up as described in this thread here. This test compares a Personna Med Prep blade and an Iridium Super. I'm using two EJ razors, one black handle and one white, and I don't know which blade is in which.

White = right side of face
Black = left side of face

Brush = Vie-Long Horse
Soap = Body Shop Maca Root cream
AS = DR Harris Windsor

Pass 1, WTG: Both still good, but I think they're both just starting to lose their sharpness a bit now. White felt a little better, and close inspection after this pass showed that White had shaved me closer and there was definitely a little more stubble on the Black (left) side.

Pass 2, XTG
: They felt about equally good going XTG, but White gave me a small weeper on my upper lip. Closeness after two passes was about equal.

Pass 3, ATG: I thought Black was losing its sharpness on this pass. It wasn't really noticeable over most of my face, but ATG on my upper lip was getting a bit tuggy - and that's where I usually first notice a blade losing its edge.

Closeness: Finally closeness was pretty good. Both sides would have needed a bit of buffing under the chin to get BBS, but I'm not after that - but easily a DFS.

Comfort: After drying, the left (Black) side of my face felt like it had been shaved the hardest. Not uncomfortable, but not as comfortable as the right (White) side.

AS: The new DR Harris Windsor, which has a fantastic fragrance, gave me a nice tingly glow, but a bit more towards stingy on the left (Black) side of my face. I think it's fairly clear that Black gave me a slightly rougher time of it this shave. But that's after the equivalent of 4 full face shaves each, which is already a decent life for a blade.

I absolutely love these reviews. I get totally sucked in trying to guess which is which.

I have not used an Iridium, so can't really guess too accurately here, but I have a suspect for the Med based on my experience w/ it as well as your previous reviews of it.

I absolutely love these reviews. I get totally sucked in trying to guess which is which.

I have not used an Iridium, so can't really guess too accurately here, but I have a suspect for the Med based on my experience w/ it as well as your previous reviews of it.

Glad you're enjoying it :001_smile

I've used both blades in a few different razors now, and I have to confess I'm having trouble guessing at this one myself!

Nice review:)I have been thinking about getting the Windsor AS. How is the staying power, scent wise?

Last edited:
Nice review:)I have been thinking about getting the Windsor AS. How is the staying power, scent wise?

Thanks :) I've only used the AS the once so far, but I'd say somewhere between Arlington and Marlborough. It's more complex than either of those, though, and it develops very nicely. Initial lighter citrus deepens to sweet spicy orange, and then patchouli and vetiver come through with a touch of peppery leather - but still with the touch of the orange. That's how it seems to work on me, anyway.

Shave #9

I didn't really need a shave today, and usually only shave every other day, but I wanted some more Windsor AS :001_smile

Test set up as described in this thread here. This test compares a Personna Med Prep blade and an Iridium Super. I'm using two EJ razors, one black handle and one white, and I don't know which blade is in which.

Black = right side of face
White = left side of face

Brush = Omega 10005
Soap = Proraso white tub
AS = DR Harris Windsor

Pass 1, WTG, Pass 2, XTG, Pass 3, ATG: I'm going to combine these, because today was the same as the last shave but less so. By that I mean the White blade seemed to be lasting better and the Black blade was falling behind a bit - but it was less pronounced than the last shave, and the two blades seemed closer together again. No weepers from either blade.

Closeness: Good DFS+, but I had less stubble than usual.

Comfort: Not really any noticeable difference between the two this time, and feeling just fine.

AS: Nice glow from the Windsor, with a bit of mild stinginess on both sides.

So, who'd have thought - the two blades pulling closer together again!

Interesting. Sounds like these two are a tie. Maybe one will outlast the other, but you've already gotten enough good shaves out of both to suit me.

Shave #10

Brush = New Forest 24mm 2-band
Soap = Arlington
AS = Floïd Genuine (Amber)

Pass 1, WTG, Pass 2, XTG, Pass 3, ATG: Well, I was expecting Black to fall further behind this time, but it didn't - I thought White was holding up a bit better and felt a little bit smoother, but there really wasn't much in it - and on the ATG pass I wasn't getting the tugging I had a couple of shaves ago. At the start, I discovered I had a small zit at the left end of my mouth and expected to take the top off it, and that happened on the third pass - but not a fault of the blade.

Closeness: Decent DFS again on both sides.

Comfort: I didn't have the same comfort as I got for the first couple of shaves - the "Wow, new blade!" kind of feel. But it's still not bad at all, and no irritation or burn. After the equivalent of 5 full face shaves each, both these blades are still as good as some others on their first shave.

AS: Floïd amber gave a bit more sting than I was getting in early shaves, but it was the same on both sides - and the result was nice cool comfort.

Any blade that will give me 5 shaves and still feel like it can go further is a great blade in my book, and I think it would be reasonable to finish this one now and judge it a very close thing. If I stopped now, I think I'd give the White blade the edge more because of subjective feel than anything else - I've just liked the feel of it a bit better, in a way I can't really describe. But I can't stop now - I'll try another shave and see how it goes.

Last edited:
Shave #11

Black = right side of face
White = left side of face

Brush = Rooney 3/1 Best
Soap = MWF
AS = Brut

Pass 1, WTG, Pass 2, XTG, Pass 3, ATG: What can I say? Still going strong and three good passes from both blades. The White continues to feel marginally better, but both are still shaving fine. They have both lost a bit from the early shaves and aren't as super-sharp as they started, but this is great performance.

Closeness: Very good DFS again on both sides.

Comfort: Comfortable with no problems - even after this many shaves, I still feel better than after my first shave with a Derby :001_smile

AS: Brut, splash it all over, lovely - mild glow, but not really a sting.

Looks like I'll be getting at least one more shave out of these blades... keep watching.

Great head to head test as usual. Been silently watching. I've never shaved with the Super Iridiums' but the Med preps are my favorite blades. Eager to see the final outcome.

Btw, is this Super Iridium blade the older discontinued one or one of the newer re issued ones?

Btw, is this Super Iridium blade the older discontinued one or one of the newer re issued ones?

It's the older one. There are still some available at Gifts & Care in Spain, where I got mine - shipping is fast and fairly priced.

Shave #12

Brush = Rooney 3/1 Pure
Soap = Cella
AS = Brut

Pass 1, WTG, Pass 2, ATG: I was a bit rushed today, cos I'd had a long day at work and the light was fading when I finally got the time for a shave - and my eyes really need daylight these days. So instead of my usual careful 3-pass shave, I had a quick 2-pass one, WTG and ATG, plus a quick buffing under my chin on both sides. And it was great! No nicks or weepers, and both blades still doing fine - they're definitely losing a bit of it now, but they're degrading very smoothly and still shaving well. I got a little bit of tug from the Black going ATG on my upper lip, but other than that I couldn't tell any real difference between them.

Closeness: Mostly DFS, but I can feel a bit of stubble left along the jawline.

Comfort: Feels just fine on both sides.

AS: About the same amount of tingle from the Brut on both sides, with skin feeling good afterwards.

That's the equivalent of 6 full face shaves from each blade, and that's probably as far as I've ever taken a blade before. I usually toss a blade after 4 or 5 shaves, though admittedly that's often because I'm keen to try a different razor and blade combination.

But this is firmly into uncharted territory as far as these tests go, and I can't possibly stop now before I reach the limit on one of these blades!

Top Bottom