What's new

Blade suggestions Feather AS-D2

Hi all, I just received this razor over the Christmas holiday and really like it. As a razor that seems to be hotly debated around here I’m realizing I need to get my technique down a bit. Recently was mostly using my Rockwell 6c with gillette platinum blades primarily as a great irritation free shave on plate 3. I’ve gravitated back over from SE after years finding that I like mild/smooth shaves decidedly not aggressive. My first shave in the Feather with the gillette plat made me realize it’s not really suited for that razor...and while I resisted not using a feather as recommended in this razor (previous bad experiences) I decided to give it a go. It’s been a lot better, but I’m just wondering what might be recommended as far as an alternate very smooth efficient blade for this razor? Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Although I am not a huge fan of the Feather AS-D2, Feather blades gave me the best shaves with it.
Alternatively, you could try Gillette yellows (7 O'Clock SharpEdge).

I get my best shaves with a Feather blade in this razor. I get up to 10 shaves with a Feather blade in that razor and all are smooth. In fact, this is the only razor in which I use a Feather blade. I also get decent shaves with a Personna Lab in that razor.

I've tried all the blades above and got good results so I'll second all those and throw in Gillette Silver Blue as another one that's worked well for me. Astra SPs were not great in the AS-D2 for me. It seems to like sharper blades.

Congratulations! Despite all the criticism out there, it’s an amazing razor! Yes, it requires a slightly different routine that might seem odd at the beginning, but once settled, it’s an absolute marvel!
Feather blades didn’t work for me as I do have sensitive skin. I paired the razor with Astra SP blades and never had an issue.

Happy shaves! [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I used either Lord Platinum or Personna Israeli Red blades in both my Feather AS-D2 and Timeless razors. The Lord Platinums are currently my favorite blade, but I do like the Personna Reds, too.

Although I am not a huge fan of the Feather AS-D2, Feather blades gave me the best shaves with it.
Alternatively, you could try Gillette yellows (7 O'Clock SharpEdge).

Thanks! I have a few Gillette yellows I forgot about. Will try one next.

FWIW maintaining angle is critical to getting the closest shave the razor/blade combination will give you. Some razors have a realtively wide angle where they perform well, my experience with the AS D2 is that the optimal angle is narrow, so when you find what it is for you, try to maintain it thru each shave stroke.

KAIs.

But the key to the ASD2 is to master the angle. Do that and you can get great shaves with a Derby Extra or Voskhod.

Yeah. Super excited about getting that angle perfect. Already pleased with my shaves and lack of irritation (the reason I previously quit DE) but really can’t wait to get that angle perfect. I’m intrigued by Kai blades. I’ve used their SE to good results on my Occam’s, but never DE as of yet.

Yeah. Super excited about getting that angle perfect. Already pleased with my shaves and lack of irritation (the reason I previously quit DE) but really can’t wait to get that angle perfect. I’m intrigued by Kai blades. I’ve used their SE to good results on my Occam’s, but never DE as of yet.

Kai blades are worth trying since they do work really well with the AS-D2. While not my favorite, they are a great blade.

Top Bottom