What's new

Blade poll: feather vs kai

So I bought a 20 pack of kai and did a side by side of feather vs kai with my favorite razor, the rex ambassador. I used the same setting on all 3 passes (setting 3). Same soap, brush, pre shave, etc. I had 3 days of growth. Both new blades.

Result:

Pass one wtg- the feather was significantly smoother. The kai wasn't bad but not as smooth as the feather. Felt like the feather went through my coarse hair with zero effort.

Pass two xtg- they were fairly even. I couldn't feel any significant difference in feel.

Pass three atg- this is where I felt the biggest difference. The feather was so much smoother than the kai. The kai had more drag than the feather where the feather just felt smooth as ever.

Alum block test: very minimal to no stinging on either side. If I had to say which side had more, it would be the feather. Probably meaning a slightly closer shave. Zero cuts, nics, or irritation on either side.

Overall: I achieved a comfortable BBS shave and both blades did well and I had an excellent shave. The advantage goes to the feather for me, on their first shave, in the rex ambassador. The kai is a nice blade but won't be replacing my favorite blade, the feather.
proxy.php

- Fayiz D.

With Feather I get3-4 decent, sometimes very good shaves but then I will start getting weepers at which point I toss it.
Kai: the advantage is it lasts longer 10-15 good shaves, it gives me close shaves BUT the price is moderate irritation.

For the price: Bic is better as is any of the made in Israel Personna

I use both regularly in a RR .84 SB, more potential shaves with Kai, Feather (2), Kai up to (6) but usually dispose at (3) or (4). Not a lot of difference in shave quality, both better than anything else I've tried. Occasionally use GSB, Red, Nacet, all good blades but not as close of a shave, can really tell a difference in 12 hours.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I've only used a Feather a handful of times. They are excellent. My first outing with one...I learned to respect how sharp it is. After that, it got much better. I use Kai SS blades quite a bit in some of my milder razors. I find them to be sufficiently sharp and smooth and I like them very much. Will be tossing one in my new Lupo SS .72 razor soon!

With Feather I get3-4 decent, sometimes very good shaves but then I will start getting weepers at which point I toss it.
Kai: the advantage is it lasts longer 10-15 good shaves, it gives me close shaves BUT the price is moderate irritation.

For the price: Bic is better as is any of the made in Israel Personna
I use a blade 3 times max then toss regardless of what kind or if they're still smooth. I have bic blades and they're nice too!
I use both regularly in a RR .84 SB, more potential shaves with Kai, Feather (2), Kai up to (6) but usually dispose at (3) or (4). Not a lot of difference in shave quality, both better than anything else I've tried. Occasionally use GSB, Red, Nacet, all good blades but not as close of a shave, can really tell a difference in 12 hours.
I only use a blade 3 times max. Usually 2-3 uses and I toss them to rotate for a new blade. Usually between my wizamet, nacet, feather, lord Platinum.

- Fayiz D.

I really enjoy Kai blades and they are absolutely perfect for Merkur razors (except for the Futur) as they give these mild razors a bit more aggression and efficiency.

Feather's on the other hand have never clicked for me. I'd rather opt for a Nacet.

I mostly use Nacet and Feather blades and tried 3 kai blades that came in a sample pack. Not impressed. Decently sharp but not at all smooth... Especially wtg pass 1 and atg pass3

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have used both Feather and Kai blades and I like the Kai blades a little more because they last longer and I can make my mild or mid range razors get bumped up a notch for efficentcy because the DE Kai SS blades are wider by .009 or 9/1000 of a inch than a standard Gillette Astra blade. I find the Kai blades Sharp and smooth with excellent longevity. I will show you the difference between a stand Gillette blade VS a Kai SS DE blade. Feather blades are little sharper than the Kai SS but Kai blades makes it up in smoothness with my razors IMO. Feathers 4-5 shaves VS Kai 8-10 shaves for longevity. Good to have a tuck or two of Kai blades for your razors that need a little boost. Kai blades are more money but they last a little longer.
The razor I'm showing is the new Razorock Lupo.72 with the 2 different blades and is just for illustration because the Lupo.72 is a excellent mid range razor just using standard blades.
Still002 Lupo.72 with a Kai SS blade+blade exposure.jpg
Still001 Razorock Lupo,72 + Gillette 7oClock SS blade.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Top Bottom