What's new

Blade performance

However, have you experienced any difference in the amount of shaves a blade can last in different razors? More/Less aggressive razors needing different amounts of passes for the same result and being worn differently? Maybe any differences could just be to small to notice, but really... shouldn't there be a difference?
I think, that I achieve the best results (the most shaves out of one blade) with the adjustibles.

So ymmv. I like crystals alot, but for me they work better with some of my shavers than others.I like Feathers a lot but they do nil for me in one of my techs but in my oc's, wowee!Than the Bolzano go so well with the Aristocrat and now I've been trying Voskhods. Experimentation is what it's about to me. I buy a single pack and give it a go for at least a week +.7 o'clocks were too much like the blades I used 50 years ago before Wilkinson stainless swords.I didn't like 'em then, I don't like 'em now. So what? They might be great for you and that is what matters in a very ymmv hobby/passion that is based on ones personal experience. Enjoy!:badger:

As a historical note, the first sampler packs were created by John at West Coast Shaving, by request from B&B members.

Last edited:
This will be the end of this wonderful Wilkinson Sword adventure.
I had 10 wonderful shaves. It can have something to do with, that most of the shaves I did in a Futur and this is a perfect pair.
Never the less, this blade is my absolute favorite blade and I'm glad, that I still have over 100 of them left :biggrin1:

proxy.php
8 shaves.

1. Gillette Fat Handled Tech
  2. Gillette Tech on an iKon Bulldog hande
  3. iKon OSS
  4. Gillette Slim
  5. Gillette Fat Handled Tech
  6. Gillette Aristocrat
  7. Merkur 46C
  8. Gillette Super Adjustable (Black Beauty)
No daubt, this is a high quality blade, but I have to shave very carefully with it. If I don't, I get burns at my neck very easily.
Actually, after 8 shaves, the blade is not dead yet.

Last edited:
proxy.php

1. Gillette Tech X1 bakelite handle (1952)
  2. Gillette Super-Speed
  3. EJ DE89
  4. Gillette ball ended Tech
  5. iKon OSS
  6. Gillette Super-Speed
  7. Gillette Super-speed, last shave
Very comfortable and mild blade

Last edited:
After being trying a number of blades, I discovered, that they more or less are the same. It's only matter of practice, technique and the right choice of the blade and the razor.

After being trying a number of blades, I discovered, that they more or less are the same. It's only matter of practice, technique and the right choice of the blade and the razor.

For sure, technique is crucial. But if all blades were the same, "the right choice of the blade and the razor" could be reduced to "the right choice of the razor."

What I infer, though, is that the same blade works differently in different razors, and different blades can perform almost identically if used in different razors. For instance, an aggressive blade in a mild razor (small gap) can produce an effect very similar to a mild blade in an aggressive razor (large gap).

Both the blade and the razor are variables. For the time being, I'm sticking with just one razor, the Merkur 34C, and trying out different blades. My own experience so far is that different blades do in fact behave differently, feel different, in the same razor. Once I have a good feel for perhaps a dozen different blades, I'm planning on experimenting with a Mergress (waiting to get it back from Mer), trying different blades at different settings, a milder blade in a more aggressive setting, a more aggressive blade in a milder setting. Eventually, too, I'd like to get a Merkur slant, anticipating using milder blades in it, but on occasion also using a very sharp blade, just to check it out.

Joe

proxy.php

1. Gillette Super-Speed
  2. Gillette Super-Speed
  3. Gillette Slim adjustable
  4. Fatip Grande Chrome
  5. Mühle R41
I was very disappointed with my meeting with this PERMA-SHARP Super stainless blade.
My 3 first shaves was far from satisfying for me.
The two first was in a Gillette Super-Speed, which resulted with unpleasant shaves with a lot of burns and nicks.
The third shave was with a Gillette Slim adjustible (I am very familiar with this razor). No matter what I did - changed the settings (I usually only use one), changed the angle, I've got the same result - burns an nicks.

Then I gave the blade the last chance today and loaded it into my Fatip Grande Chrome with the original handle, which I gave some "anabolic steroids" in form of lead and tungsten for a long time ago.

The result - oh man, the shave was great. One of the best I ever had !

This blade really needs the right razor to show the right performance.
I kept it, it's still alive. I'll give it a chance again, I just have to decide which razor I'll use next time :)

Same story as with the Fatip happened with my Mühle R41.
Smooth and clean BBS. Not to mention, that it was No.5 run on the same blade.
This is the first time I try a blade, that performs SO differently on mild and aggressive razors.

proxy.php

proxy.php

This blade reminds me very much about the Gillette black.
5 very pleasant BBS

• Gillette Tech
  • Gillette Sheraton
  • Fatip Piccolo
  • Gillette New SC
  • Gillette New LC
proxy.php

proxy.php

1. Gillette Tech
  2. iKon OSS
  3. Merkur Futur
  4. Lord L6 razor
  5. Gillette NEW LC
  6. Gillette Tech
  7. Gillette NEW SC
Top quality Gillette blade.

proxy.php

proxy.php

1. Gillette Tech
  2. Mühle R41
  3. Gillette Aristocrat
  4. Gillette Tech
  5. Gillette Fatboy
  6. Gillette Tech
  7. Gillette Tech

A very durable and pleasant blade. Was still shave ready after 7 shaves (full face). Remarkable for a low cost blade.

proxy.php

Just returned to DE shaving about two weeks ago.
Bought the Merkur 34c + a sample pack of 10 different blades.
After using a Mach III for about 20 years I spent last week working on my grip and trying to remember to not press down to hard.
Decided to use the Merkur Platinum Coated Stainless from the sample pack. Only went three shaves and began to worry whether my handiwork was about to attract vampires and sharks.
Bought a brush and shaving soap and am still using my second Merkur blade with absolutely wonderful shaves happening.
Now, I'm a real stickler when it comes to prep:
Wash face with regular soap and warm water/Rinse off soap/apply a small amount of "Kiss My Face" hand lotion + olive oil I've added/Hold hot wash cloth on my face for about three minutes/Lather up and shave both down and back up.
BBS shaves all week. I know I'm getting better with my technique but I also know my face prep procedure is a major factor.
Just had shave #7 with the same Merkur blade. I'm so pleased with my progress that I almost want to put off trying the rest of the following from the sample pack:
Crystal Stainless
Derby Extra Super Stainless
Personna Platinum
Feather Hi-Stainless Platinum
Dorco Stainless
Astra Platinum
Gillette 7 O'Clock
Bic Chrome Platinum

Sorry about the length of this but I can't believe how much I look forward to using this combination each morning.
All of your comments are informative and fun and "Winblows" - a great service you provided.

Thank You Nick :thumbup:

I didn't have time to participate on B&B lately, because I came back from a trip to Nepal 10 days ago and still have a lot to do at work.
Never the less, when I arrived to Kathmandu, I bought a pack of Gillette Super Thin's and used them in my Merkur 985CL (travel set) customized with Fatip Chrome base plate.
Every shave was just a pleasure. Enjoyable and smooth.
This razor/blade combination is just perfect for me.

proxy.php

1. Gillette New LC
  2. Gillete Tech
  3. Gillette Super Speed
  4. Gillete Tech
Wonderful blade. Real Solingen quality.
The blade was far from finished after 4 shaves. I just had to leave the country for holiday.

proxy.php

proxy.php

• Gillette Tech
  • Mühle R41
  • iKon OSS
  • LERESCHE
I do not know why this is a one of the most hated blades.
I think it's wonderful.
4 perfect BBS shaves with different razors. A great blade and still working ...

Here with LERESCHE:

proxy.php

Top Bottom