What's new

Blade performance

Not sure what you're asking here, but if you're curious about how different blades work for you, lots of vendors offer a sample pack of blades to try out.

i'm very glad for platinum coated blades, specially Gillette 7 o'clock. I have an offer on some Crystal Super + Platinum blades. Can anybody tell something about the performance of Crystals vs. Gillettes ?

My advice would be not to commit to a large quantity of any blade until you have tried at least a few. How a blade performs for another person does not necessarily indicate how it will perform for you.
I agree with the platinum coated blades, they seem to give me a smoother shave than non platinum coated blades.
But, I have not had any experience with either of these blades.
Good luck with the blades!

Last edited:
i'm very glad for platinum coated blades, specially Gillette 7 o'clock. I have an offer on some Crystal Super + Platinum blades. Can anybody tell something about the performance of Crystals vs. Gillettes ?

no-one can answer that question for you, because the differences are qualitative, not quantitative. My experience with them will be completely different from yours, trial and error is the only solution.

Trial and error is the only solution. Blade performance depends on many factors: the blade itself, the razor you use, the particulars of your beard, your technique, etc.

Personally, I am working my way through a blade sampler from WCS that includes 7 o'clock yellows and Crystals. For me, the 7 o'clock yellows work better than the Crystals. But YMMV.

I was thinking, that somebody, after using 7 o'clocks, "discovered" the Crystals or maybe said "never again".

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Trial and error is the only solution. Blade performance depends on many factors: the blade itself, the razor you use, the particulars of your beard, your technique, etc.

Personally, I am working my way through a blade sampler...
proxy.php
...and to see what blade (I use Shark Super Chrome), would be a good fit (mild, moderate & aggressive, ect...), for your face and razor, it's wise and sage advice to get a Razor Blade Sampler (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/277972-How-to-attack-my-sample-pack?highlight=). :thumbsup:

proxy.php
“A razor [blade] can’t be sharpened on a piece of velvet”. Author Unknown

Last edited:
Yes, a Razor Blade Sampler - this must be the solution. I just found one with 11 different including Astra SP's (never tried), which I suspect for being a good blade (may be for me too) :001_smile

hmmm ... there must be a reason why not all wet shavers use Platinum coated blades, so, I'll find out what blades without does too. There are some non platinum coated in the sample too. Right now, I use a Gillette Tech (fat handeled) razor, which I think is the mildest for me and probably will be the most competent tester.

$Gillette_Tech_1938-1945.jpg

Let's say, that I'm allready started trying to find out how different blades perform on me and my razors. Until now, I know, that Feathers are the best I've tried, but most expensive, right after comes Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum. Red Personnas don't suit me, it's like, they don't bite on my skin and it's confusing, that there is no numbers on each side of the blade. What I'm looking for is "the best" (probably most expensive) and the cheapest "next best" for every day use.

Last edited:
$imgres.jpg
That was 4 great shaves with this blade. The first was so smooth, that it will belong to my best BBS shaves. In my zeal, I didn't wait anough time for the second shave and the result was some slight burns on my neck. The last 2 was perfect. The blade is still alive, but I just can't wait with the next test :). This blade goes into my Mühle R41 head and will wait until I get to it ;-)
The next test will be a Super-Max Platinum (India).

I'm a little confused here (happened once before), you were asking how blades perform AND you're using a R41 2011?

From the many 41 threads seems most had a favorite or two blade in mind before using a r41. you're a brave man but 7 o'clock blues are a good place to start.

I'm a little confused here (happened once before), you were asking how blades perform AND you're using a R41 2011?

From the many 41 threads seems most had a favorite or two blade in mind before using a r41. you're a brave man but 7 o'clock blues are a good place to start.
Well, I don't remember the trigger for my interest in wet shaving, but here I am - shaving old style for some time. I remember my father shaving every day with his Gillette adjustable, his brush, his Palmolive classic shaving cream and his Wilkinson blades. I watched him often during his morning ritual as a little boy and I remember, that I was impressed. I am careful. I have big respect to razors, razor blades and knives, so even that I have a lot of different razors, I never cut my self in my short wet shaving history. It is fun and I like the collection that I have. I started with a Tech bought on eBay and after short time my purchases escalated. Now, after trying a lot of different gear, I'd like a more stable shaving life :001_smile. So, I decided finally to find out 1-2, maybe 3 blades, that will please me in 1-2, maybe 3 of my razors. I'd like to share my experiences with others and gladly receive comments. Not necessarily only about the blades :001_smile

$Super-Max.jpg

4 shaves. The first three were actually very like the previous blade.
The Super-Max Platinum is very good. All 4 BBS, but the last shave was a push.
The blade was getting dull. The last shave gave me some irritations. Never mind - 3 well and smooth BBS shaves is great for a low cost blade !
I can hardly wait for the next blade :)

Last edited:

4 shaves. I missed my Gillette New LC (late english), so I couldn't wait trying this popular blade in that razor at the first shave. What a blade ! Usualy in OC raozrs, I've no doubt about whether I have a blade in the razor or not, but here I've got the most quite OC shave ever, I think. BBS and no irritation at all. I went back to my Tech.
All 4 shaves were smooth BBS without any irritation and the blade can still be used, but I'm excited to go on all the other blades, so - out.
I have no doubt, I'll have a 100 of them, that's for sure :001_smile

Last edited:

Personally, I am working my way through a blade sampler from WCS that includes 7 o'clock yellows and Crystals. For me, the 7 o'clock yellows work better than the Crystals. But YMMV.

and that's how it goes. I gave away my 7'OC yellows and stuck with crystals on my merkur classic.
exact opposite opinion. everyone is different

Top Bottom