What's new

Blade gap + exposure on open combs

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I can attest that OC most certainly do have a blade gap, and some more than others. As Esox posted above, the New SC has a decent amount of gap, as the blade sort of sits on a molded in rise/pad on the base. (Not quite sure what to call it). The curve of my Schone has the blade edge ever so slightly raised at the edge, just like the Fatip, there's a gap, but not much of one.

At one point I HATED every OC I tried, just didn't get alone well with me. I can be stubborn, and insisted on working on the problem until I fixed it. What I found was just forget about applying ANY pressure at all! - Basically just make and hold contact with your skin. You just want the razor edge to just barely touch your skin, the OC is more prone to bite if there's any pressure at all. - Once you get that down, along with the reasonable angle for the razor being used, it becomes very easy to shave with them.

Second thing is different blades work wonders. I've found the Gillette Nacets and GSBs to be awesome in the New SC/LC, and my Schone. - Smooth, Smooth, Smooth. Astra/Feathers not so much.

I've not tried a Feather in my Schöne, and am not likely to, but I sure do like the razor with a Nacet. I suspect it will be a great blade in my NEW SC, too.

As I examine the various razors I like or find problematic for me, one of the parameters I am seeing as very useful to look at is Guard Span. Grant @ShavingByTheNumbers has made the point that one of the factors in determining if a razor is smooth (mild as opposed to aggressive) is a small Guard Span.

upload_2017-11-5_18-1-14.png

As I examine the razors I find smooth I find this to be accurate.

Conversely, some of the OC razors I hear are aggressive in the sense of not being smooth look to have large Guard Span. I don't own those razors, so I'm only looking at pictures of them.

I have other OC razors in my collection, but the ones I've shaved with are the P-BOCS, the Schöne, and the NEW SC.

BOSC Special Branch.jpg

This is entirely my opinion, and a preliminary opinion at that, but I think maybe a Blade Gap up to about 0.68 mm coupled with a very small Guard Span - example, NEW SC - tends to be a fairly smooth razor. With a large Guard Span that much gap can cause the razor to bite.

I just as soon have a small Guard Span and a tiny gap coupled with the various factors with make the razor a very efficient shaver.

It might be interesting to examine the OC razors you hated in terms of Guard Span.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom