What's new

Blade gap + exposure on open combs

Ok, seriously dumb question here but I couldn't find info when I searched.

I thought open comb razors have minimal gap and due to the rounded head design typically have minimal exposure as well. I do own the paa bocs and that is a different breed and falls out of my stated generalization. I had a RR old type awhile ago that I only used once and I honestly can't remember what the blade gap and exposure looked like (anyone have side/profile pics with a blade loaded?). I bought the WCS open comb expecting the blade to rest on the teeth leaving basically no gap besides the spaces in between the teeth. I got the razor in today and loaded a blade to find it actually sticking out decently far, similar to my paa bocs just not twisted of course. I feel like the RR old type wasn't like this and the blade basically sat flat on the teeth/bottom plate. Am I right or wrong? Anyone have pics by any chance?

I shaved once with the wcs open comb and while it was insanely efficient, more so then my slants, it also caused alot of nics and decent aftershave burn. I did everything else as usual, good prep and good brush lather plus I didn't rush and used little to no pressure.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I happen to have a RR Old Type set up for tomorrow so here are a couple quick pictures that might help. There is a blade gap but not much of one.

proxy.php

proxy.php

The blade is installed in both pictures.

I happen to have a RR Old Type set up for tomorrow so here are a couple quick pictures that might help. There is a blade gap but not much of one.

proxy.php

proxy.php

The blade is installed in both pictures.

Perfect! Exactly what I needed to see. Yup, that's what I was looking for. Not to say the wcs open comb is a bad head, it's actually a decent razor for the $5 it costs though the fit and finish is pretty bad (again, $5). But it's not the "style" of open comb I was trying to get.

This is an example here, it's not much gap but it is noticeably more then the rest old type:
IMG_20171016_212031463.jpg
IMG_20171016_212037332.jpg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
For a comparison. Heres my NEW SC on the left and my Fatip Grande on the right.

IMG_2114.jpg IMG_2111.jpg

The Fatip is a fantastic razor. If you like highly efficient razors and minimal gap, you'll love it.

I can attest that OC most certainly do have a blade gap, and some more than others. As Esox posted above, the New SC has a decent amount of gap, as the blade sort of sits on a molded in rise/pad on the base. (Not quite sure what to call it). The curve of my Schone has the blade edge ever so slightly raised at the edge, just like the Fatip, there's a gap, but not much of one.

At one point I HATED every OC I tried, just didn't get alone well with me. I can be stubborn, and insisted on working on the problem until I fixed it. What I found was just forget about applying ANY pressure at all! - Basically just make and hold contact with your skin. You just want the razor edge to just barely touch your skin, the OC is more prone to bite if there's any pressure at all. - Once you get that down, along with the reasonable angle for the razor being used, it becomes very easy to shave with them.

Second thing is different blades work wonders. I've found the Gillette Nacets and GSBs to be awesome in the New SC/LC, and my Schone. - Smooth, Smooth, Smooth. Astra/Feathers not so much.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I can attest that OC most certainly do have a blade gap, and some more than others. As Esox posted above, the New SC has a decent amount of gap, as the blade sort of sits on a molded in rise/pad on the base. (Not quite sure what to call it). The curve of my Schone has the blade edge ever so slightly raised at the edge, just like the Fatip, there's a gap, but not much of one.

At one point I HATED every OC I tried, just didn't get alone well with me. I can be stubborn, and insisted on working on the problem until I fixed it. What I found was just forget about applying ANY pressure at all! - Basically just make and hold contact with your skin. You just want the razor edge to just barely touch your skin, the OC is more prone to bite if there's any pressure at all. - Once you get that down, along with the reasonable angle for the razor being used, it becomes very easy to shave with them.

Second thing is different blades work wonders. I've found the Gillette Nacets and GSBs to be awesome in the New SC/LC, and my Schone. - Smooth, Smooth, Smooth. Astra/Feathers not so much.

I'm not really sure what to call that either lol. I think of it as a "riser", but whatever works.

One thing about the NEW SC base plates, that "riser" has been measured across several samples and they all measured the exact same .023", where NEW LC base plates the gap varied across several samples by as much as .017" as measured by rabidus.

For me in either my NEW SC or Fatip Grande, Polsilver is #1. Gillette Yellow is a very nice blade in my Grande, but a bit too sharp for the NEW SC because of that gap. I'm with you regarding Feather blades...

Wow, very informative and helpful!

Thanks everyone!

@Esox do you happen to know of you have the v1 fatip or the new 2017 v2?

I took a few more pics of my wcs open comb to show you what I'm talking about. The pics of the RR old type and the fatip open comb that are shown above are more what I was looking for.

IMG_20171017_075244074.jpg
IMG_20171017_075236852.jpg
IMG_20171017_075202857.jpg
IMG_20171017_075138208.jpg

Last edited:
Is it me, or does that blade look distorted, noticeable in the last pic. - I'll swear I see a rise towards the center (from the left/back) and then a dip, and then it comes back up a little. (Comb looks strait, it's just the blade).

I take that back, I see it in all the photos. - Did you get a bad tuck of blades, some of the vendors just stick them in an envelope, and sometimes they get a little bent in shipping.

Is it me, or does that blade look distorted, noticeable in the last pic. - I'll swear I see a rise towards the center (from the left/back) and then a dip, and then it comes back up a little. (Comb looks strait, it's just the blade).

I take that back, I see it in all the photos. - Did you get a bad tuck of blades, some of the vendors just stick them in an envelope, and sometimes they get a little bent in shipping.

No, you are correct. So far I've loaded 3-4 Astra SP and 2 nacets, all of them rise and dip in those same exact spots. I sent an email with 6 pics to WCS at 9am est today and still have not gotten a response.

Mines a V2.
My Grande Journey

With the RR old Type, I'd be inclined to put a shim, or maybe even two, between the blade and the cap. That should smooth it out quite a lot.

Great, Thanks!

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
No, you are correct. So far I've loaded 3-4 Astra SP and 2 nacets, all of them rise and dip in those same exact spots. I sent an email with 6 pics to WCS at 9am est today and still have not gotten a response.

Great, Thanks!
That bend would make me put the sucker aside. I can handle variations in blade gape between razors but NOT warped blades. They do no play nice.

Yea I haven't put razor to skin since my first shave with it. I sent a second email to WCS and still no response. It's a shame, I've bought from them before and haven't had an issue but I'm now almost 2 days in with no answer. I guess that's what I get for not shopping maggard lol... That's ok though, just got my shipping notice from maggard today on my Fatip piccolo thanks to @Esox pics and info :)

Well WCS replied and they are sending me a new head that they personally checked with a blade and it's fine. They were apologetic and I appreciate their handling. Regardless, I'm still very excited to get the fatip

Sure is a pretty addition to the arsenal

IMG_20171021_174404687.jpg

Also, I got my replacement from WCS on the wonky open comb head from earlier in this thread. They told me they personally sent me one that they checked. The replacement that I got was slightly less "wavy" in the blade but still wasn't great, had poor chrome like the first one, and the underside of the bottom plate was in rough shape. Overall it was a $5 head and they made a fast and polite attempt to fix the issue so I won't complain too much but it is a bummer. Good thing I got the new piccolo to take my mind off it.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
After purchasing a Fatip with a warped top cap, then receiving another similarly defective replacement, I swore off the brand. Mine was an older version that now nicely shaves with a Merkur short stud cap -- of course with another handle as the threads are Fatip only. QC problems.

I know what you're going through, it's a really harsh shave. Glad it's resolved.

After purchasing a Fatip with a warped top cap, then receiving another similarly defective replacement, I swore off the brand. Mine was an older version that now nicely shaves with a Merkur short stud cap -- of course with another handle as the threads are Fatip only. QC problems.

I know what you're going through, it's a really harsh shave. Glad it's resolved.

Yeah, 2 "warped" heads in a row is a bummer. Fortunately they were the cheap heads and the fatip is spot on. My only complaint with the fatip is the minimal welding on the two outer posts however it's been mentioned many times and noone seems to have any issue on the v2.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Yeah, 2 "warped" heads in a row is a bummer. Fortunately they were the cheap heads and the fatip is spot on. My only complaint with the fatip is the minimal welding on the two outer posts however it's been mentioned many times and noone seems to have any issue on the v2.

I believe the blade aligning pins are soldered on, but if you look closely, the bases of those pins are at a lower plane than where the cap pinches the blade against the base plate so its really only a cosmetic issue.

Just make sure the handle is tightened down fairly well. No need to over tighten, but you want the handle tight enough that the blade cant move once its together.

Top Bottom