What's new

Black Handle Super Speed

Gents, I need help. I would like to acquire my first vintage DE... either a black handle or a regular Flair tip would be great... what do I need to look out for?? and also... what would be an acceptable price??

Thanks for the help gentlemen!! Wish me luck

FYI.

From the TOU:
7. B&B is not an appraisal site. As such, asking values here isn't acceptable behavior. All B&B members, asking and answering, new or old, should be aware that B&B is a community of users, and not an appraisal or identification service.

You want to look for doors that open and close easily and securely. Much of the gunk should be able to be cleaned off, but the mechanism should be sound.

FYI.

From the TOU:
7. B&B is not an appraisal site. As such, asking values here isn't acceptable behavior. All B&B members, asking and answering, new or old, should be aware that B&B is a community of users, and not an appraisal or identification service.

That isnt my intent... sorry if it came across like that. I just wanted to know what I need to look for... Sorry. Wont happen again.

That isnt my intent... sorry if it came across like that. I just wanted to know what I need to look for... Sorry. Wont happen again.

Don't worry about it. It is an honest mistake. We just can't discuss prices. If you want to learn about prices check completed auctions on eBay.

Don't worry about it. It is an honest mistake. We just can't discuss prices. If you want to learn about prices check completed auctions on eBay.

Unfortunately they are all over the place... thats why I wanted to get an idea here... sorry.

Too late, your going to Internet jail

$Australian govt to force software internet users.jpg

Gents, I need help. I would like to acquire my first vintage DE... either a black handle or a regular Flair tip would be great... what do I need to look out for?? and also... what would be an acceptable price??

Thanks for the help gentlemen!! Wish me luck
Make sure the doors open properly, and the blades sit even and are not uneven.

$DSC04804-150x87.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Alex... that picture looks horrible!!!! I'll try to check for good mechanics... I did find some that had plating issues.. does that effect anything? or just looks ugly??
If it's inexpensive with bad platting it won't affect the shave, it just won't look shiny...but the shave sure will be nice.

Personally I would pay more attention to plating issues and obvious signs of misalignment or damage. Captain Murphy can fix anything and his rates are very reasonable. Replating one of these is certainly not cost effective so I would try to find one that doesn't need it.

These razors can be had all over for extremely reasonable prices.

Personally I would pay more attention to plating issues and obvious signs of misalignment or damage. Captain Murphy can fix anything and his rates are very reasonable. Replating one of these is certainly not cost effective so I would try to find one that doesn't need it.

These razors can be had all over for extremely reasonable prices.
I agree too.

There is no reason to spend very much on one, most will clean up fine, and a little brassing (or a lot of it) won't affect the shave. Even if you want to get a real nice one most are still very reasonable, considering the age and quality. To me the best of the super speeds is the Red Tip. For the Flare Tips the older the better The 50s is my favorite, there was a slight change in the head in the early to mid 60's. The early Black handles had the same head as the 60's then changed in 79 (I think). At any rate you can't go wrong with any Super Speed, you could get a few different user grade ones and see for yourself.

Top Bottom