What's new

Bill Ellis Ramapo

While I own a couple of customs... I REALLY love old, interesting razors. The more interesting... the better! It is with this preface I submit - this expertly restored vintage Ramapo by Bill Ellis is my favorite straight razor in my collection.

full

full

The incredibly gorgeous, flowing lines, the clean/crisp yellow heart scales with an incredibly cool wood "finish line" inlaid flawlessly into the yellow heart, then CA coated 9 times to bring it to an almost 3-D luster. It's also one of the most comfortable razors - if not THE most comfortable razors I have ever held!

To allow this blade shape while keeping the correct sharpening angle (this is the original blade shape/profile) the thickness of the razor tapers in both directions, and this bad boy is nearly 1/4 inch thick at the spine :eek: yet it tapers down in both directions perfectly natural.... really, really odd, yet really, really cool - no? Take a look at the tapering spine....
full

Neat 3rd pin....
full

In all 'er glory...
full

full

full

full

full

Wave the checkerboard folks, we're done :wink:
full

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. Absolutely stunning scales. Don't think I've ever seen a better set of simple yet refined scales.

Can't say I'm too wow'd by the cylindrical-shape of the blade, but the scales are mouth-droppingly amazing.

Like I said in the other thread, it's "inspirational material!"

The inlay reminds me of something Tintin would own for some reason, anyone else feel a connection? I think if the rest of the scale was more orange it would match his motorcycle?

The scales are obviously very nice, but I don't like how the razor gets smaller towards the toe. It reminds me of a blade that has been honed improperly.

Like I said in the other thread, it's "inspirational material!"

The inlay reminds me of something Tintin would own for some reason, anyone else feel a connection? I think if the rest of the scale was more orange it would match his motorcycle?

Please elaborate. Didn't that red rocket have a similar pattern.

Please elaborate. Didn't that red rocket have a similar pattern.

The rocket did, but from looking at the books, it looks like I was thinking of his motorcycle costume as a whole, orange-red motorcycle, tan jacket, and red helmet (with the checkers). Hehe, Tintin themed scales would be awesome, I'm currently sketching out a Snowy head sticker to put on my car that I can make little balloons with phrases for. But black scales with a Snowy silhouette would be classy!

Joel

Would you please stop posting all these pics you are killing me over here . That thing is so damn sexy .:drool::drool::drool::drool:

Actually now that I am looking at the pictures for a while I see a few scratches.

Joel I tell you what dont even bother looking for the scratches just send her on my way . Damn I am such a good friend talk about taking one for the team :lol::lol::lol:

Actually now that I am looking at the pictures for a while I see a few scratches.

Joel I tell you what dont even bother looking for the scratches just send her on my way . Damn I am such a good friend talk about taking one for the team :lol::lol::lol:

Doggonit you beat me to it. Let me know if it works :w00t:

Very interesting blade.....Understated is a good way to go. However, I think my first custom is gonna be alil over the top. Prolly a RW....

Top Bottom