What's new

Big Red Robe Oolong

AKA Dahongpao - great stuff, if bought with caution! Often listed among the "Ten Famous Teas" of China.

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Do you recommend any sources for this tea? I know that current supplies are from tea bushes cloned from the original tea bush, well so says the description of this tea at Yunnan Tea Source.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Buying any tea (or wine, etc.) without first sampling it requires having a great deal of faith in the seller. Scott of YSLLC is almost universally acclaimed as the preeminent purveyor of pu'er, but his stock (and possibly knowledge) of oolong and other teas may not meet the highest standards. Dragon Tea House, for example, may not stock as much shengpu, but they have a much larger selection of green and oolong from which to choose. If you're already placing an order from either of those sites, adding some DHP would be a no brainer.

Above all, Scott (or anyone else) is in business, which means that his prime concern is to move his products. I don't mean this as a pejorative, as it applies to everyone. He certainly doesn't strike me as an "Everything is great!!!" type of guy, but tastes and opinions vary. The only way to know for sure is to try several examples.

Tastes also change. How many times have you tried something and thought it to be great, only to lower your evaluation later?

Buying any tea (or wine, etc.) without first sampling it requires having a great deal of faith in the seller. Scott of YSLLC is almost universally acclaimed as the preeminent purveyor of pu'er, but his stock (and possibly knowledge) of oolong and other teas may not meet the highest standards. Dragon Tea House, for example, may not stock as much shengpu, but they have a much larger selection of green and oolong from which to choose. If you're already placing an order from either of those sites, adding some DHP would be a no brainer.

Above all, Scott (or anyone else) is in business, which means that his prime concern is to move his products. I don't mean this as a pejorative, as it applies to everyone. He certainly doesn't strike me as an "Everything is great!!!" type of guy, but tastes and opinions vary. The only way to know for sure is to try several examples.

Tastes also change. How many times have you tried something and thought it to be great, only to lower your evaluation later?

Well spoken. As I always say, take other people's opinions with a grain of salt unless you know you share similar preferences. Many times I have tried something because of Hobbesoxon's blog or a recommendation from Scott at YSLLC only to find I didn't like it. Similarly I like things they may not. The trick is to find someone whose taste matches yours.

Top Bottom