What's new

Big Name, Scant Lather. Knockoff?

While I was in Alabama for work my son texted me about a find he made at some home store in Utah . . .

IMG_0412.jpeg

1600177336524.png

"Want one?" he asks. I have enough shave soaps and creams and have been (surprisingly) slowly using some up so I can feel better about not having so many; I know, I know, a good part of our 'thing' is about the experience, which I value . . . but somehow having so many seems to me to be an embarrassment of shaving riches. And yet, who among us wouldn’t at least be curious?

1600177505538.png

I add this here because all the typos drive me crazy: "Nah. If it was like $4 I'd go for it, but I could spend $15 on something else." He can't give me a scent profile, only offering "It smells really good." Well, that's helpful, even enabling for someone with SAD.
I get the impression he senses a weakness in the armor.

1600177771428.png

Despite my protestations to the contrary, who am I to turn down a birthday gift of shave goods. Just to mollify my retentive side I rationalize about creams being used faster. A truism, to be sure--in the last four months I've polished off two tubs of cream, Cremo Reserve Blend and Col. Conk Rio Grande Lavender, and am about 2 shaves away from finishing my TOBS Cedarwood. Ignoring the fact that I have many other soaps to use I lean back and bask in the simple math before me: 3 creams down--surely replacing one of them with another cream is a lesser evil. He asks if I want cream or the soap in a tin. "Yeah, the cream" I tell him.

Now, I figured the cream was simply a softer soap packaged in a tub or tin. Never having used shave cream from a tube it never occurred to me that might be the case. Which is exactly what I got yesterday when I picked it up from him.

IMG_3139.jpeg

I was excited to try Pre de Provence, having seen the name used here in (typically) glowing terms. So this morning I eagerly uncapped the tube and squeezed about a two inch snurdle into my scuttle. I thought I might have put too much in, but didn't sweat it. I added just a few drops of water and started swirling with my PAA Starcraft synthetic brush. It smeared but not much more than that. I kept at it for a solid 3-4 minutes with precious little improvement.

Maybe it's better to face lather I considered. So I began doing that. All I got was a very thin layer of paintable cream--I couldn't get this stuff to lather much at all. So I added another roughly 1.5" bit of product to the scuttle and whipped it about for a couple minutes. Between my face and the scuttle I got a little . . . and I do mean a little . . . lather.

The scent was indeed nice, not heavy or strong, but very pleasant. I couldn't come close to yogurt consistency, much less whipped cream. I will say, however, that at least it didn't evaporate off my face.

Performance was fine I guess. I wasn't bowled over but I've used lesser soaps to be sure. I asked my son yesterday how he liked it and he said he, too, couldn't get it to lather, and he got the soap in a tin.

So I'm a little baffled. I've never read anything bad about PdP, accordingly I was expecting a terrific experience. Based on this morning's performance I'm not inclined to use the cream much at all, although the scent is nice.

Bad batch, perhaps? An outside chance of a knockoff? I can't really imagine the latter, the former seems more likely.

Your thoughts?

I thought of that too. I had soaked the brush (although unnecessary for a synthetic), then very gently squeezed it to release excess water. When I face lathered it still dripped a little, runny soap dripping into the sink. The 'lather' wasn't dry, of that I'm certain. But it also wasn't too wet--after a fashion--because it had a nice consistency when painting on, but it just never built into a nice, satisfactory lather.

PdP cream is not meant to be used with a brush IIRC. The soap is excellent, but I haven't used the cream in ages, because it is not a traditional lathering cream.

PdP cream is not meant to be used with a brush IIRC. The soap is excellent, but I haven't used the cream in ages, because it is not a traditional lathering cream.
Ahhhh . . . this I did not know. That could certainly explain it. Although it wouldn't explain why my son is having issues with the soap in the tin. I'll have to get with him and test it out.

Top Bottom