What's new

Bic sensitive alternative

I was shaving with a Bic sensitive and really enjoyed how much I enjoyed it. I was curious, what SE razor might be the best alternative for this with a DE blade? The ac blades I’m not a massive fan of.

I was shaving with a Bic sensitive and really enjoyed how much I enjoyed it.
I really like these as well, which I use when I traveled (pre-pandemic).
I was curious, what SE razor might be the best alternative for this with a DE blade?
I don't know of one that's going to feel similar with the half DE blades.

Disclaimer: I don't own any of these, so I cannot speak from experience. I just happen to know of their existence.

In no particular order, as I think of them:

The RazoRock Eco (Their aluminum AC equivalent, the Hawk V2 is quite good. I have used the Hawk V2, which is great, but of course AC blades different.)

I get targeted ads for the Leaf Twig and Thorn, but part of the great thing about the Bic Sensitives is their light weight and maneuverability; so I don't think these would be be a similar experience (don't own them though).

Global Shave Club has something called the Challenger, which might be similar down to the fact that it's made of plastic.

Rocnel has the SE-P, but I don't think that's very light or small.

Two have pivoting heads, which may or may not be desirable:

There is the Focus R48 (in aluminum) that takes "snapped in half" DE blades. There is also a stainless steel version with a different model number (the R50, if I recall). These models are made in Italy and seem to have very mixed reviews from what I read a few months ago.

There is the Broman Mark 2.

Nothing else is coming to mind at the moment, even though I know I have come across other models in addition to these. I'll circle back if anything else comes to mind (or perhaps someone else will chime in with other options).

The ac blades I’m not a massive fan of.
I'm not sure exactly the reason is here. Perhaps it is the extra width, extra thickness, that your skin doesn't seem to like these blades, you already have a lifetime supply of DE blades and prefer to use those, another reason, a combination of reasons, et cetera.

If it's anything besides the size of the AC blades, then hopefully you can find something to your liking with half DE blades. If it's just the width, feel free to take a look at the end of this post.

(There are also narrower injector blades, but that's yet another potential discussion.)

Anyway, I hope you find something out there which works perfectly for you.

Please disregard the following if the issue is not restricted to only the extra width:
Just in case it's just the extra width, in spite of the extra width of the blade, the Blackland Vector is still quite small by its design (I notice the width much less with it). That said, I didn't feel like it shaves very close to the Sensitive in feel until I found this really shallow angle with a guarded AC blade, then there might be some comparison in both maneuverability and the mildness of the shave. Here are a couple side by side photos (Vector in Titanium) for a size comparison:
IMG_20230725_215324051.jpg

IMG_20230725_215348055.jpg

I really appreciate your detailed reply @kingfisher ! I just haven’t had luck enjoying the ac blades that I have tried historically. The twig I do have and it is similar , but I find that razor very aggressive for my face.

I can’t seem to locate the challenger razor anywhere 🤷🏻‍♂️.
The Blackland is a good looking razor but there is something simplistic about the Bic sensitive.

You could try a Bic Metal for a more efficient shave and excellent longevity even though it is a disposable as the Sensitive.

I use the RR Eco regularly but it has a completely different angle than regular DE razors so I don’t think it’s a good solution for what you are looking for.

You could try a Bic Metal for a more efficient shave and excellent longevity even though it is a disposable as the Sensitive.

I use the RR Eco regularly but it has a completely different angle than regular DE razors so I don’t think it’s a good solution for what you are looking for.
My logic is just to not use a disposable razor and see if there is something heavy duty out there.

I can’t seem to locate the challenger razor anywhere 🤷🏻‍♂️.
It seems to be out of stock at the moment. Link here.
Then I would look for a (Schick) Injector which is the closest geometry to a disposable.
Based on the additional information, I would be inclined to agree with this suggestion to consider what an injector has to offer.

Here is everything in my collection of SE safety razors, sans the Hawk V2 on loan to the wife at the moment. If any of these are of interest, I can summarize my experience. Others have much more diverse collections than I do and can probably offer better comparison and contrasts between models.
IMG_20230723_173231551_HDR.jpg

Best of luck as your search continues!

I tried the supply razor with the fins at one point. I found it acceptable but nothing special.is there one out of the gate I should look at?

For vintage Schick injectors, this identification guide can give you an idea of all of the vintage models out there. For vintage, my experience is limited to the type E and type G.

I find the type G really mild, maybe too mild, and I enjoy mild razors. The type E is a little less so, but does not have the reputation for being as smooth as the type G.

I have a modern Parker Adjustable Injector, which looks a bit like a 1960s vintage PAL adjustable razor, but I still need to try it out. (I have been stuck in a "Groundhog Day Loop" with the Vector Ti and still need to try out some newer purchases.)

Hopefully some of the injector fanatics around here will chime in with suggestions and information.

For vintage Schick injectors, this identification guide can give you an idea of all of the vintage models out there. For vintage, my experience is limited to the type E and type G.

I find the type G really mild, maybe too mild, and I enjoy mild razors. The type E is a little less so, but does not have the reputation for being as smooth as the type G.

I have a modern Parker Adjustable Injector, which looks a bit like a 1960s vintage PAL adjustable razor, but I still need to try it out. (I have been stuck in a "Groundhog Day Loop" with the Vector Ti and still need to try out some newer purchases.)

Hopefully some of the injector fanatics around here will chime in with suggestions and information.
Is the vector ti the daily driver?

Is the vector ti the daily driver?
It has become the daily driver for me after getting it during Blackland's sale in June. I did not find it intuitive at all at first, but now that I have learned it, it just keeps getting better for me. The (1) light weight and (2) relatively small head gives me the two characteristics I like from the Bic Metal and Sensitive disposables. (For AC format, I find the RR Hawk V3 to be much more intuitive, especially for those who normally like DE razors.)

For awhile before I got the Vector, the daily driver was the Tatara Muramasa, which I also really love, but the AC blades really seem to be gentler on my face than DE. Definitely one of those YMMV things.

I've stayed out of this because I have never used a Bic razor and my only SHaDE razor is a Razorock Eco. The Schick Adjustable is a good recommendation, since you can dial it up or down as needed. The Schick L is a nice mild razor as well. If you want something new, the the Parker Adjustable is a good choice for a mild razor. The Supply Pro can be dialed up beyond the Parker, if looking for a more agressive razor. The Razorock Eco is inexpensive and mild, by the way.

I've stayed out of this because I have never used a Bic razor and my only SHaDE razor is a Razorock Eco. The Schick Adjustable is a good recommendation, since you can dial it up or down as needed. The Schick L is a nice mild razor as well. If you want something new, the the Parker Adjustable is a good choice for a mild razor. The Supply Pro can be dialed up beyond the Parker, if looking for a more agressive razor. The Razorock Eco is inexpensive and mild, by the way.
The eco just looks like it’s going to be a pain in the *** under the nose but I could be wrong.

Top Bottom