What's new

BIC Chrome Platinum batch variance - yellow vs orange wrapper?

Using my iPhone camera I could clearly see that the orange tuck and orange paper BCP that I ordered from splitseven on ebay from Turkey last year have the triple ground. The yellow tuck yellow paper I got from SafetyRazorPlace on Amazon this year may have only been double ground. The magnification on the iPhone is not great, so I am not sure. Tomorrow will be a shave test.

It seems there is also another variant with mismatching orange and yellow paper and tuck. I do not have those.

Both blades shaved very similarly in two shaves with the Superclicks. So for the third shave, I split them and did a half face shave in a Twig, evne going against the grain. Again very similar, but it seems the Yellow-Yellow has more feel and sound feedback. I'll see how they do on the fourth shave. Could the card ones be from an older manufacturing process? Or non-genuine?

This thread has some interesting information. It seems that Bic may have had a printing and production upgrade over the years. As there is yellow cardboard yellow paper, then orange cardboard (with recycling logo) and yellow paper (perhaps to run out the yellow paper stock), then orange cardboard (with recycling logo) orange paper. The fold pattern of the paper on my my YY and OO is exactly the same, but the direction of the logo is different. The logo printing of my Yellow Paper matches the Orange cardboard Yellow Paper as in the earlier photo.

One notable difference is that the printing on the blade of the Yellow Yellow is poorer than on the the Orange Orange. The shave seems similar so far, but the Yellow Yellow *may* be falling behind.

I did a half face shave off with the yellow yellow Bic CP (4) and a German Personna Chrome Platinum (1). The yellow yellow Bic CP was loads smoother with much less feedback. Until I get a jewelers loup or microscope I won't be able to tell if there is a grind difference between the two Bics, but it sure shaved better than a German blade.

Maybe I need to stop worrying and just enjoy the nice shaves.

I wonder if yellows are old and orange is new. My memory from when I used these many years ago is that they were yellow. But my recent purchases have been orange. I was actually surprised by the orangeness of the wrappers. It was good to see this thread. :)

I got 5 from an ebay seller (no tuck), orange wrapper. They seem to be quite sharp, but rough.
Definitely left me with some irritation. Don't really want to use them again.

I bought 100 pack of BIC Chrome Platinum last year and found them to be pretty terrible with poorly finished edges (jagged bits of metal on the edges that could be seen under magnification).

I recently received a tuck from a forum member included with a purchase from the B-S-T. Had a shave with one of those blades yesterday and it was every bit as wonderful as all the rave reviews I've read about BIC Chrome Platinum blades. I noticed that the wrapper is yellow compared to the bad batch I bought last year which is orange. The cardboard tuck seems to be the same color -- only the wrapper is different.

I looked all over for any kind of lot number or any indication of year made etc. but I couldn't find any markings on the tuck or blade or wrapper etc. Does anyone know if there is any markings on BIC and where I would look to identify date of mfg or batch?

Anyone else have experience with the two different colors (yellow vs orange) on the wrappers and if so was there a difference in edge quality?

View attachment 1675980

My finding has been similar.
The yellow tuck BCP is my #1 blade! Feather sharp, super smooth, long lasting.
They shave closer than polsilver/Wizamet for me.

The Orange tuck felt very rough, harsh on the skin and just a fail overall.

I wonder if yellows are old and orange is new. My memory from when I used these many years ago is that they were yellow. But my recent purchases have been orange. I was actually surprised by the orangeness of the wrappers. It was good to see this thread. :)

My fairly large stash is all yellow tuck.
I believe orange tuck is newer production.
My yellow tuck stash was manufactured pre-2017, as per the seller.

I have three different versions of the Bic CP blades. Yellow/Yellow (from a USA vendor on Amazon) and Orange/Orange (from Amazon UK directly) and Orange/Orange (from Vietnam). There are printing differences on all three but the Y/Y and O/O (Amazon UK) shave pretty similarly. Meanwhile of 2 of 200 O/O VN blades, the shaves have been terrible. Of note, the blade paper of the VN version is different than the other two. It is not quite as shiny and feels waxy rather than plastic smooth.

The blade printing on the O/O Amazon UK is also much better, it is quite precise. The other two have bold, smudged printing. It may be that the Y/Y version is older stock with different printing equipment. But if you see O/O tucks with bad printing, be wary!

Another difference between the Vietnam purchased O/O is that the cardboard tuck has a different feel. The uncoated inside feels much smoother than the legitimate tucks. So the cardboard feels smoother, the paper feels rougher and the blades shave like crap.

100% confirmed there are fake Bic CPs in the market. Buyer beware. Only buy them from trusted sources. Pay extra if you must, the fake ones are dangerously bad.

Top Bottom