What's new

BEVEL razor?

I think it's interesting that when questions like "is MdC worth it?" or "is the ATT razor too expensive?" come up, it quite often winds up with "Is it worth is to YOU?" or YMMV. But that doesn't seem to be the case here.

I think there are a few reasons for your observation.
1. The ATT and MdC priced are clearly marked, not masked under a monthly subscription plan with quarterly shipments. I don't buy cars for $299/mo either, I negotiate the price of the car and dealerships like Ford drove me away with their antics. (sorry for the pun).
2. I have yet to see a single person actually take the time to write a product review so it can't be that noteworthy.
3. In this day, we have so many options we can choose our vendors by customer service. I never see folks talk about Ikon anymore, and PAA (formerly HTGAM) threads get locked regularly, because we don't have to stand for being treated poorly. And see #1 for considering Bevel's business model as treating us poorly.

If you think we are ragging too much on Bevel, go read some AoS threads. They're full of vitriol as well.

I've posted on this before. They do a great job of hiding the fact that you're going to be paying close to $400 a year for their "shaving system." I feel like the target market for this is people who have too much disposable income and who don't know they have other DE shaving options.

There's a fine line between skillful marketing and willful deception. Bevel is treading it, and I'm not entirely convinced they're on the right side of it.
I consider them the Apple of shaving JMO lol.

I think it's interesting that when questions like "is MdC worth it?" or "is the ATT razor too expensive?" come up, it quite often winds up with "Is it worth is to YOU?" or YMMV. But that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Mr. Walker is targeting a very specific audience: the man of African descent with disposable income. Historically, black men have been pretty much ignored by the wet shaving industry: when was the last time a black guy was in an ad for Merkur razors, Muhle brushes, Proraso soap, or any other of the major players in the business? The common experience for African American men and shaving is bump-crazy cartridge, to sub-par "for black men" electrics, to foul-smelling, skin damaging products like Magic Shave. Now in comes Mr. Walker, offering them a much better experience.

Is $30 a month too high? Hell, yes! But I also think that what Amazon charges for Amazon Fresh! is also ridiculous, yet it's a thriving business. People like to be catered to. They like things showing up at their door without them having to think about it every time they need something. And they're willing to pay more for it. People also like to feel like they identify with what a business is trying to sell them. A black entrepreneur reaching out to a black audience, talking about a challenge that has been plaguing them since the advent of the cartridge razor? Capitalism at its finest.

Now, I am black, but I didn't buy into this Bevel system nonsense. I like to research a product before I buy it. It's almost a hobby. Most people don't. Think about all those canned-goo cartridge shavers out there who can't be bothered to take a minute to try a method of shaving that would rock their world, so to speak. They don't want to do research, they just want it to work. Walker is tapping into the same mindset, only with a different group.

And just for the record: my Progress, Futur, and Weber kick butt, MdC is totally worth it (although B&M is my favorite), and TGN finest brushes rule. Oh, and I don't think I can ever justify to myself the price of an ATT.

Very well said. Ultimately, I think what they are really offering to black and other men who struggle with a serious razor bump problem is a "classier" option than what has traditionally been offered. If anyone wants to understand what I mean, next time you're in the drugstore take a look at the "ethnic" shelf (or half or third of a shelf) and ask yourself if you would be happy to "shave" by rubbing chemical powder from a Comet can on your face. That's the kind of option that drove me from wet shaving to electrics years ago.

I really don't get why people keep saying their pricing is unclear. The $30/month charge is pretty obvious on their site. Personally, I balked at that because I was used to paying like $4 or $3 every several months for a bottle of Lectric Shave or the generic equivalent. Of course, the real cost to me of electric shaving probably averaged at least a couple hundred dollars per year considering the cost of replacement heads and expensive razors that broke way too soon. And so I find the monthly cost of electric shaving to be more masked than a stated $30/month charge.

I quickly decided the Bevel pricing and system/subscription model weren't for me. But I can see the appeal to men who struggle with razor bumps and don't mind spending that much of their disposable income on a pre-packaged solution they don't have to think about and that's just much more upscale than other options available.

Honestly, since Bevel's ads led me to DE shaving 6 weeks ago I have spent way more than the $360 of a 1 year subscription gearing up, LOL. BUT I expect my ongoing costs for life to be much, much less than $30/month since I'm satisfied with cheap soap and have dialed in on what should be my last razor. (My razor now is an ATT--so worth it IMO!) I credit Bevel for leading me here and all you great, knowledgeable B&B gents for steering me in the right direction from there!

when was the last time a black guy was in an ad for Merkur razors, Muhle brushes, Proraso soap, or any other of the major players in the business?
I have never seen any adverts from Merkur, Mühle or any other manufacturer that produces DE razors and badger brushes. They are not major players. Gillette is, and I have seen Thierry Henry advertising that Gillette is the ultimate shaving experience.

I have never seen any adverts from Merkur, Mühle or any other manufacturer that produces DE razors and badger brushes. They are not major players. Gillette is, and I have seen Thierry Henry advertising that Gillette is the ultimate shaving experience.

There are print ads for Merkur and Muhle, as well as the other players. As for Gillette, Henry is in an ad pushing a product that people with bump issues have already shunned.

I submit he's not offering a better experience. I believe he is delivering the message better.

A better experience than what they've already had. I appreciate you pointing that out. I should have been clearer.

Just to be clear: it is NOT my intention to defend Walker. 45 minutes of google-fu, and one could get what he's hawking at half the price. But he IS addressing a segment that has been ignored, by and large. Smaller groups notice when they are addressed, and when they are not. Walker is talking to them. They're listening. He's going to dip into that well until it runs dry.

Interesting that it took this turn.

I don't begrudge anyone for trying to make a buck. Bevel isn't forcing anyone to sign up for their service. I'm sure you can save money vs subscription services, especially luxury ones. I get why he's using that particular model, because it can result in more revenue. Heck, Amazon and Target push subscriptions as well.

Goes back to Art of Shaving. They offer unique products at a high price. There are cheaper alternatives. You aren't forced to buy them. No problem with them.

I have received the kit. I will be posting a review elsewhere though as this thread has derailed far enough that it would get lost.

On the derailed topic, I'm not a fan of subscription services but it is a solid business model and many companies have thrived using it. I would say if he wants to get street cred for Bevel with the hardcore shaving enthusiasts he should offer some other options, but I think his target market is already much, much, much larger than we.

Not a fan of the subscription service, but the razor itself does look pretty slick.

As I said upthread, mate ......... The razor itself is actualy quite a nice piece with a well thought out modern design. If there's any issue at all with the design, it's that the top cap thread is a splined rod press fit, into the top cap. If you overtighten the handle too much, it will eventually pull the threaded rod out.

You do, however, have to go out of your way to overtighten it :thumbup1:

From a product design perspective, this razor caught my eye. Just received my razor-only from Target last week (very fast delivery from Target). Attractive packaging and clearly a lot of thought and time was involved with design. Of my 30+ DE/SE razors, it is one of my favorites. Shaves like a champ and very efficient. Price was approx. $47.00 + reasonable shipping. Been burned on subscription models and do not like them. Sweet business and great cash flow model if you can pull it off. Just count me out. Would personally recommend this razor from Target. Just my 2 cents, thx. . . George

From a product design perspective, this razor caught my eye. Just received my razor-only from Target last week (very fast delivery from Target). Attractive packaging and clearly a lot of thought and time was involved with design. Of my 30+ DE/SE razors, it is one of my favorites. Shaves like a champ and very efficient. Price was approx. $47.00 + reasonable shipping. Been burned on subscription models and do not like them. Sweet business and great cash flow model if you can pull it off. Just count me out. Would personally recommend this razor from Target. Just my 2 cents, thx. . . George

Something tells me we're going to see more Bevels around here soon.

I have plenty of DE razors, but your glowing recommendation makes the Bevel more attractive to me. $47 is certainly a reasonable price. And it would make a good recommendation as a starter razor for a newbie or a gift item.

I'm more interested in their software, though ... has anybody tried that?

Last edited:
I fail to see how this razor is any better for African American skin than the other DE razors. Maybe if Bevel could answer that for us without slick marketing speak that essentially means nothing, then there would be less detractors. As it stands now, the main difference between the Bevel shaving system and something like a Maggard shaving kit is that the former is directly targeting African Americans with its advertising while the latter is considerably cheaper and more than likely offering just as good, if not a better experience. Either way, I don't really care.

Last edited:
Top Bottom