What's new

BEVEL razor?

I have a set on the way and will be happy to review the entire product line after using it for a week. I have seen some quick reviews on the razor itself in the double edge forum so a quick search there might provide more immediate satisfaction

That's the one where they bill $30/month, but only ship every THREE months. I dislike that sort of scheme (just bill $90 for each refill instead of trying to mask the cost) so I will not try them no matter the quality Blzrfn reports.

I wouldn't go buying into a subscription for one, but I've got one of their razors. It certainly is a well made razor and care and attention has gone into it's modern design. It's brass handled with a chromed zinc head and is a fairly hefty razor.

It's a fairly mild razor, but effective for all of that. They aren't throwaways ........ They really are well built and finished razors ....... It's just the subscription model that stops them being used more widespread, I should imagine ......

I've posted on this before. They do a great job of hiding the fact that you're going to be paying close to $400 a year for their "shaving system." I feel like the target market for this is people who have too much disposable income and who don't know they have other DE shaving options.

I have not tried any of their products, but I give them full credit for turning me on to DE shaving. They are the reason I am here. For years, I shaved with electrics because it was the only way I had found for me to avoid razor bumps/ingrown hairs. I would have preferred to stick with blade/wet shaving, but it wasn't working for me. A few weeks ago I spotted an ad for Bevel and got really intrigued and checked out their site, which informed me that a DE razor could be the answer. Their website is really pretty informative about DE/wet shaving in general

I considered ordering their $90 gift set to try it out without committing to a subscription, but thought maybe I could first try out DE shaving more cheaply by just picking up some different gear on my own. Plus I was excited and didn't want to wait for an order to arrive so I'd rather just run out and buy some stuff locally. (The cheaper part didn't pan out since I wound up at Art Of Shaving, but that's another story.)

After a month into DE shaving, I really like it, and I also like being able to mix and match products to my preferences rather than just buying into someone's "system." And their $30/month price tag is too rich for my blood, but I'm sure there are many men who spend in that price range for high-end grooming products anyway. If their products are comparable to others at that price point, it could be a reasonable option for men who spend that much on grooming anyway and want the convenience of a one-stop, automatic subscription solution. I would try Bevel if I were in that category.

I know nothing about their products, but you can get a very good starter set from a vendor like Maggard for less than $90. if you want to budget $360/year, you can acquire a great variety of soaps, creams, brushes and after shaves and not be wed to their product line. Perhaps someone can make a good argument for their club, but I frankly can't think of any reason to do it.

I know nothing about their products, but you can get a very good starter set from a vendor like Maggard for less than $90. if you want to budget $360/year, you can acquire a great variety of soaps, creams, brushes and after shaves and not be wed to their product line. Perhaps someone can make a good argument for their club, but I frankly can't think of any reason to do it.

I'm sure if you ask Bevel they'd say "Art of Shaving charges more than $90 for their kit, so why not ours?"
To which I'd reply "They have a retail presence and gave me samples to prove the quality of the products, and I buy the kit when I need it, not when you think I need it."

Oh and before people think I'm ragging on Bevel or being unfair, I have the same animosity towards Microsoft and Adobe with their new "subscription model" pricing and have not upgraded to them.

I'm sure if you ask Bevel they'd say "Art of Shaving charges more than $90 for their kit, so why not ours?"

Well, I have to say that one thing my trip to the Art of Shaving store taught me is that getting the $90 Bevel gift set as a starter kit to try out probably would have been reasonable, assuming the Bevel razor and brush are of reasonably decent quality. Spending about the same $90 at AOS I got a nice Muhle razor ($55), 10 blades (Gillette Platinum), and a starter kit consisting of a trial/travel size brush and products vs. the full-size brush and products in the Bevel kit. The AOS brush was sufficient for getting started, but obviously I was going to want to quickly replace it with a real brush. The trial-size product would run out quickly too. I guess what I'm trying to say is that for the same $90 I spent at AOS, I could have gotten a Bevel kit that I would not have outgrown so quickly.

I think it makes sense for men who are willing to spend on pricey grooming products and just wants to put things on autopilot and finds that this specific system works for them. Not really my style, but I could see some guys being drawn to it.

Well, I have to say that one thing my trip to the Art of Shaving store taught me is that getting the $90 Bevel gift set as a starter kit to try out probably would have been reasonable, assuming the Bevel razor and brush are of reasonably decent quality. Spending about the same $90 at AOS I got a nice Muhle razor ($55), 10 blades (Gillette Platinum), and a starter kit consisting of a trial/travel size brush and products vs. the full-size brush and products in the Bevel kit. The AOS brush was sufficient for getting started, but obviously I was going to want to quickly replace it with a real brush. The trial-size product would run out quickly too. I guess what I'm trying to say is that for the same $90 I spent at AOS, I could have gotten a Bevel kit that I would not have outgrown so quickly.

I think it makes sense for men who are willing to spend on pricey grooming products and just wants to put things on autopilot and finds that this specific system works for them. Not really my style, but I could see some guys being drawn to it.
Do we know for certain that the first Bevel kit (with the hardware) includes full size?

Bevel is an inexcusable rip-off. Tristan Walker, the founder of the company, applies racial identity marketing to promote the Bevel solution as THE way to get clean-shaven and avoid shaving bumps. All of that is honorable enough, but the company charges for the start-up kit and then imposes a $30 per month subscription fee for average-quality goods that are shipped once a quarter. His practices are even sleazier than the sleaziest of buy-here-pay-here, rent-to-own, payday lenders, and other urban businesses that operate on transaction fees and monthly payments and have drawn the scorn of political do-gooders who accuse them of exploiting the poor.

Update. This deal is exactly what it smells like. Go to Google and search "bevel shaving review". The second non-advertisement link is to an article in Gentlemen's Standard. It is appended by a lot of testimonials from Bevel users. They have a common theme. The Bevel web page is thorough and inviting as far as sign-up is concerned, but evasive about the on-going costs, and worse yet you cannot cancel through the web page. You have to call their toll-free number to cancel, and no one answers at that number. You are free to leave a voicemail and get either no callback, or a callback a few days later when it is least convenient and you have to endure a long interrogation about your shaving method, WTG etc., and every pitch to stay in the program. Even if you do get past all that and get an agreement to cancel, the bills may still arrive. There was at least one contributor who said he had been trying to cancel since January. It was June and he still was not out of it.
With any entity that does business in such a way, do not walk away. Run, run away fast, and run immediately.

Last edited:
Do we know for certain that the first Bevel kit (with the hardware) includes full size?

They used to be trial size in the initial bundle, not full size, but then, the kit also used to cost $60. The price only became $90 if you canceled the subscription after receiving the initial bundle, prior to receiving the next shipment. It looks like he did away with that particular form of skulduggery and now charges a straight-up $90. I suppose if the goods are full size, then basically he's throwing in the razor and brush for free, since on the subscription plan, $90 only gets you the consumables. However, there's nothing indicating whether they are full or trial size, so we're all left to guess. (Unless it is further detailed somewhere else on the website. At this point, I can't be bothered to go digging, and nobody should have to.)

Bevel is an inexcusable rip-off. Tristan Walker, the founder of the company, applies racial identity marketing to promote the Bevel solution as THE way to get clean-shaven and avoid shaving bumps. All of that is honorable enough...

I'm not so sure it is. I don't have a problem with a company that seeks to address the particular shaving needs of African American men. The problem is, while Walker claims his products are the answer to African American shavers' woes, he fails to explain why his products are any better for those men than any number of other products on the market. Why is Bevel better for African Americans than, say, The Gentlemens Refinery or Art of Shaving, when those products are used in tandem with a DE? The answer is simple: it's not. Walker relies on dubious claims and a shill doctor citing unsubstantiated studies without disclosure of methodology to "back up" said claims. It's pure snake-oil scammery, and that's not even taking into account the all-or-nothing subscription model.

In essence, Walker is banking that his clientele aren't insightful enough to be able to cut through his BS, and will buy into his claims without so much as a thought. The fact that his efforts are aimed primarily at African Americans means a solid argument can be made that Walker is actually looking to take advantage of that demographic, not serve it. His practices should be an insult to any of his customers, however, irrespective of their race.

The first time I heard about Bevel I checked out their website and my BS-meter immediately went off. They're very opaque about their pricing structure and that you're subscribing when you order the starter kit. They have received a lot of money in venture capital (over $9 million from one article I read about Tristan Walker, the founder of Walker & Company Brands which owns Bevel). I had an exchange on Twitter with him about Bevel and whether the positive results people were getting from using Bevel were not just the same results they would be getting from using another DE razor and other creams. His response was just keep repeating how great the creams and lotions were and telling me I should try them, which is laughable since two months of Bevel costs more than I spend on an entire year's worth of shaving supplies.

I do not know. But I wasn't really talking about the first kit you get with a subscription. They have an option to order a gift set for $90 without a subscription. I thought about ordering the gift set for myself (or asking my wife to order it as an early birthday gift) because I didn't want to subscribe to anything, especially without even trying it first. Since I didn't get the gift set I can't confirm it's full size, but the pictures appear to show full size products.

I agree that as others have said they do market their whole system including lotions, etc. as a solution, and I guess I would too if I were trying to sell such products. But on the front page of their website they do point out that DE shaving is the key and DE razors have been around for 100 years. And if you poke around on the site it includes shaving tips that are mostly generic to DE shaving and good wet shaving techniques. So a careful consumer willing to do a little research before signing up can figure out that there may be other options to get similar results. I give them credit for leading me to DE shaving and providing enough information to figure out that there were other ways to go about it.

Top Bottom