What's new

Bevel angle of blades?

What angles are used for the bevel of disposable blades for safety razors? Do blades differ? Does a database of angles exist?

I'm having trouble finding info on this due to results being about the angle of shaving or about straight razors.

One interesting way of getting the angle right is to hear it. With an Ever-Ready 1912 and PTFE blade, which is the loudest combination I've come across in all shaving, you can hear quite clearly what the razor is doing.

I'm talking about the angle to which the blades are sharpened. Like a kitchen knife might be sharpened to a 40° angle (creating a double bevel).

Ah, OK. May be different for DE blades and Artist Club or GEM blades since the thickness of the blade is different. Or could be the same. No idea, but good question.

The most obvious explanation for blades differing in sharpness and edge retention would be different bevel angles.

Sure, the metal also plays a role for edge retention, but a 5 degree bevel won't stay sharp for long either way. Given the same bevel angle, edge retention mostly comes down to a trade-off between less dulling (harder metal) and less breaking (softer metal).

Thanks, much appreciated!

• Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus: 15,6° – 17°
  • Feather New Hi Stainless: 13.8° – 15°
  • Astra Superior Platinum: 16,3° – 16,8°
  • Gillette Silver Blue Angle: 14,9° – 15.5°

Last edited:
Interestingly, the niku - blade angle - of a traditional Japanese nihonto (katana) can be 15 degrees or less. They are not sharpened in the customary sense, but polished - with stones as small as a grain of rice - until the edge essentially no longer exists. I imagine shaving with one would be rather a chore, but it would certainly work if you had enough styptic pencils and an ER close by... :001_smile

Top Bottom