What's new

Bevel angle >18 Problem?

I calculated the angles for both of my razors after measuring them. They both came out around 18.5 degrees. I have a tough beard and would like them to be maximum sharp, even if they need a little more maintenance.
I'm working on 2 new acquisitions, which are 5/8s instead of the 6/8 Gold Dollar I'm used to.

Short of reducing the thickness of the spine, can/should I do anything to change the angle?

Happy shaves.

Legion

Staff member
Not really. The angle of the bevel is set with the edge and spine flat on the hone. The thickness of the spine in relation to the width of the blade is what creates the bevel. Changing one of those two things is the only way to change the bevel. And it is not recommended unless you really know what you are doing.

I calculated the angles for both of my razors after measuring them. They both came out around 18.5 degrees. I have a tough beard and would like them to be maximum sharp, even if they need a little more maintenance.
I'm working on 2 new acquisitions, which are 5/8s instead of the 6/8 Gold Dollar I'm used to.

Short of reducing the thickness of the spine, can/should I do anything to change the angle?

Happy shaves.

Grinding the spine thinner is the only practical way to get a finer angle on the bevel.

I've read in some of those old texts floating around that a gent with a "tougher" beard may benefit by using a razor with a greater angle. Makes the edge a little more durable for hacking through tough whiskers.
Don't know if its true or not but there seems to be some logic to it. I'd imagine it still needs to fall within acceptable ranges.

I have no basis for my opinion, but I really doubt a degree or 2 difference is anything you could notice.

The quality of the honing probably makes much more of a difference in performance than bevel angle.

Happy shaves.

I am no genius but the only way I can see for you to get a better angle would be for you to grind off exactly the same amount from each side of the spine ..... without touching the edge but then you would need to re-bevel the edge due to the new spine width which will shorten the overall width of the blade bringing you back almost to where you were when you started. :blink:

Gives me a headache just thinking about it :tongue_sm

:laugh: Sounds like more trouble than it would be worth when the issue is probably something else.

Hone, Hone again. This is why I bought the cheaper razors off ebay. They're interesting so far... and more than a little challenging :p

Top Bottom