What's new

Better option to fix / glue a vintage Gillette razor ?

What do you think is the best option to fix this old Gillette razor that keeps disassembling in the middle of the shaving?

My first option would be a cyanoacrylate glue like Super Glue / Super Bonder.

Pros? Cons?

20220507_150727.jpg

For a user I would get an aftermarket handle and keep the other one just for completeness.

As you can see the pieces are press fitted so period handles will have the same issues to a higher or lesser degree as well. Split barrels are very common.

It looks like the barrel is split. Either get a new or vintage handle, or glue with metal-reinforced epoxy (might work), or braze or solder the joints.

For epoxy, the mating surfaces must be really clean.

Reactions: edw
It looks like the barrel is split. Either get a new or vintage handle, or glue with metal-reinforced epoxy (might work), or braze or solder the joints.

For epoxy, the mating surfaces must be really clean.

I would go with this. ^^^

You could try some two-part epoxy putty like JB Weld or just look for a replacement handle, though many of the original handles are cracked due to the nature of manufacture.

The other option, also stated previously, is an aftermarket replica handle that will look almost exactly like the original. I think Razor Emporium sells a brass replica for just north of 20 bucks.

Personally, if it were mine, I'd try the epoxy putty and if that failed I would get a replica.

Reactions: edw

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Several years ago I fixed a couple of the Gillette Ball end handles by inserting a 3/8 inch copper water line coated with 2 part epoxy then clamped it to close up the crack. The cracks never grew and the ends stayed secure. I actually had one replated in rhodium after that
and the crack is almost invisible.
Worked for me .
PXL_20220511_102352140.PORTRAIT.jpg

Top Bottom