What's new

Best way to use a Moka Pot.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Hi Gents, in trying to up my game from an instant coffee user, I have dug out of the cupboard what I call a stove top coffee percolator or what you may call a moka pot. I was wondering what the temperature of the water needs to be in the bottom of the device before you place it on the stove top. Do you use cold, warm or hot water? I bought the percolator/moka pot from a store that was closing down and it came without a box. I liked that look of it but as usual with most kitchen things that we buy here it finished up in the cupboard. It is very small and it would only make a very small cup of coffee. Any insight into the use of this coffee device is greatly appreciated.

Very limited experience here, but I always used cold tap water. It was too much hassle for someone who drinks s few cups before heading to work.

Depends on your pot and stove.

What pot do you have (aluminum? plated brass? Stainless?)

What type of stove/burner? Gas? Electric? Induction?

Moka pots are very easy to use, but there is a short learning curve. My procedure: 1) simply mound the grounds in the basket; no need to smooth or tamp. 2) fill the base with water up to the base of the pressure valve. 3) place over burner being mindful of the handle if over an open flame. 4) remove from burner once sputtering is heard.

One theory of using hot water is that because the water needs to spend less time over the flame to heat, the grounds cook less = better coffee. I've tried it, couldn't notice a difference, except trying to assemble the contraption when it's next to boiling is NOT easy.

oh, avoid the dishwasher if your Moka pot is aluminum - otherwise is will tarnish something awful.

Just to add, never leave the pot on the hot stove or flame once the water has pressured up and the bottom chamber is dry- the seal will damage...
You add hot water to the coffee depending on the basket size like making americano...

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Depends on your pot and stove.

What pot do you have (aluminum? plated brass? Stainless?)

What type of stove/burner? Gas? Electric? Induction?

The pot is aluminium and the stove is gas.

Moka pots are very easy to use, but there is a short learning curve. My procedure: 1) simply mound the grounds in the basket; no need to smooth or tamp. 2) fill the base with water up to the base of the pressure valve. 3) place over burner being mindful of the handle if over an open flame. 4) remove from burner once sputtering is heard.

I've been using Moka pots for more than 20 years, and this is exactly my practice too.

But the Moka comes in different sizes. The standard size is the "6 cups" version, meaning it will theoretically produce 6 cups of espresso of 2 oz. each. If using that size, I measure 15 grams of ground coffee into the basket for about 11 oz. of finished coffee, which is similar in strength to a mug of Americano. You can add more or less coffee to suit your taste.

If you want to produce espresso (e.g. for multiple small cups), fill the basket more heavily and tamp it down lightly. Don't over-tamp/over-fill or you'll find out what that pressure valve is for. You'll only get 5 portions of 2 oz. each, because the coffee grounds absorb some water, and some will be left in the Moka.

Some people wait to pull the Moka off the flame until the gurgling stops. That results in slightly more coffee when you pour it, but you risk burning the coffee in the pot. Better to do as danek says and pull the pot off the heat when gurgling starts. Your yield is a bit less, but your coffee isn't burnt.

With a gas stove you may want to get a steel or cast iron plate to use between the flame and pot.

This is the one I use on our gas range.

Kisag Heat diffuser plate

Start with cold or hot water. When you start to see brew coming through, then the flame down to slow the brew.

It's easier to brew with the lid open so that you can see what is happening

I had an Italian roommate for a year, and at least where she is from, many families still use the moka as their default coffee maker. She said tamping or not was a very hotly contested issue. I usually don't.

To answer your original question, I always use cold water, just because I use filtered water from a one of those Brita pitchers.

Have fun with it! In Italy, you can even get ones with an electric base so you don't even need a stove.

One time, I tamped down the coffee grounds in my moka pot. It caused blockage and steam shot out the pressure valve. This is way you ALWAYS place the pot on the stove with the pressure valve facing away. I just use the weight of the spoon to smooth out the grounds but, I never use pressure to tamp.

Why would anyone want to heat water before putting it into a Moka pot? After all, heating water is the job that the Moka Pot performs.
Hot tap water should never be used because, before coming out the tap, it runs through heating coils in your furnace, potentially picking up rust and additional smegma along the way.

Last edited:

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
The Moka is my favorite coffee pot. I believe I got my first one in 1973. I use the 6 cup to make a nearly full mug of beautiful strong coffee. In the morning I use half decaf and half regular and decaf the rest of the day. There are several good videos on YouTube you can watch and listen to why you should use cold water or hot water etc. I can't tell the difference. I usually use hot because the electric tea pot makes the process a bit faster. It has been around since 1933 and is still very popular so don't give up on it too quickly.

I use room temperature filtered water. The trick to good moka pot coffee is to get the grind right, which falls between medium and fine, like between drip and espresso. Then just place on the stove and watch it so it for when it's done and the coffee comes up the top. That bottom part builds up steam and pressure forcing it into the top so make sure to watch it and don't walk away from the stove. Also use the small burner on low or medium, don't let flames go up the side of the pot.

The resulting coffee will be very strong, similar to espresso. So only drink like a shot glass or two of it and not a whole mug.

Stumptown has a great tutorial with pictures. They heat the water and add some more complicated steps because they're snobby like that.
How to Brew in a Moka Pot | Stumptown Coffee Roasters Blog

I have 2 moka pots. One of them has a pressure cooker weight on top to raise the pressure. It produces 4 shots of excellent strong coffee that I put in a 6.8oz vacuum sealed travel mug and take to work. So much more sophisticated and efficient on some days than taking a large thermos filled with hot regular coffee.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Thanks for the tips Gents. I have some fun using the Moka Pot. I have boiled it dry a couple of times but no damage yet. I have even started to drink the coffee black with a small amount of sugar. That is very new to me. I have made it very strong and very week depending on the amount of coffee that I put in it. Thanks again, its an interesting journey away from being an instant coffee user.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
The Moka seems to be my favorite. We have had various coffee makers over the years but I keep coming back to the Moka. I like the rich European style. I do drink it by the mug but I’ll use less than half espresso roast and twice that amount of decaf French roast. I drank hot tea for a few years and can’t handle a lot of caffeine. Later in the day I’ll simply use less coffee for a thinner more American style but I want my morning brew thick.

I used my 6 cup Moka Pot this morning after not using it for a while and was pleasantly surprised. I set the flame on my smallest burner on medium, filled the bottom with cold filtered water from the frig and left the top open so I could watch it. As soon as I notice coffee slowly start to come up into the top chamber I turned the flame down to a very low setting. This kept the flow of coffee very slow with no large bubbles being made yet a nice crema forming on top. Once it is nearing empty and at the first sign of real bubbles I turn off the flame, close the lid and put it on a trivet. I always froth some milk to go with it and drink it out of a mug. Half warm steamed milk and froth and half coffee. This time the coffee did not taste burnt at all like it has in the past. So I have come to the conclusion that the key is not to over heat the water, which can cause the coffee to take on a burnt taste. I always fill the coffee chamber up to the top and end up with enough for two mugs plus a little bit more with frothed milk. I like alternating between the Moka Pot and French Press. I still prefer the taste of French Press, but then I like variety. After all, I have 37 shaving soaps and creams. Variety is the spice of life.

I love my moka pot. I am a coffee ignoramus (I have enough other obsessions) so I just use Bustelo caffe from the supermarket. Espresso-ground, makes a fine cup of joe.

I love my moka pot. I am a coffee ignoramus (I have enough other obsessions) so I just use Bustelo caffe from the supermarket. Espresso-ground, makes a fine cup of joe.

I'm the same. I've been using cans of Medaglia D'Oro. I like mixing it up between the french press and moka pot.

I’m really liking the Illy espresso blend in the Moka pot. Spendy, but when it comes out right it’s exceptionally good. Tried LaVazza espresso blend, but not impressed.

Definitely want to find a 10-12 cup pot so I can get my morning dose in 1 batch, rather than 2.

I’m really liking the Illy espresso blend in the Moka pot. Spendy, but when it comes out right it’s exceptionally good. Tried LaVazza espresso blend, but not impressed.

Definitely want to find a 10-12 cup pot so I can get my morning dose in 1 batch, rather than 2.

I tried the LaVazza as well and feel the same way. I've been doing Peet's Major Dickason's Blend. I keep saying I'm going to go to one of the many local places that roast beans but I never seem to follow through. 10 to 12 cups? For just you? I use a 6 cup and it makes 2 and a half mugs filled halfway that I mix with frothed milk. Kind of like a cafe au lait. And after those two mugs I'm bouncing a bit. And that's it for the day for me.

I tried the LaVazza as well and feel the same way. I've been doing Peet's Major Dickason's Blend. I keep saying I'm going to go to one of the many local places that roast beans but I never seem to follow through. 10 to 12 cups? For just you? I use a 6 cup and it makes 2 and a half mugs filled halfway that I mix with frothed milk. Kind of like a cafe au lait. And after those two mugs I'm bouncing a bit. And that's it for the day for me.
When I do the Moka pot, it takes 2 batches with the 6 cup to get me in the mood for this whole living thing. :cornut:
The Peet’s Major Dickason’s is alright. Intelligencia Black Cat espresso is not bad if you grind it fine. Still need to try some of the Mexican blends. A good batch of the Illy just seems to hit all the right notes for me. But it’s like 12.00 for an 8oz can locally.

I’m actually trying to use up some of the less impressive stuff so I can justify ordering a couple bags from a local roaster. Might have to try making a couple batches of cold brew just to use it up faster!

Top Bottom