What's new

Best way to use a Moka Pot.

I was always told to use cold water as hot water will have more particulates because of the hot water heater. I have no idea of the veracity of that but why argue.

I was always told to use cold water as hot water will have more particulates because of the hot water heater. I have no idea of the veracity of that but why argue.

That is true. You will get more deposits from hot water. This is not an issue with me as we have a tankless heater (water passes through and is heated on its way to the faucet)

A lot depends on your stove's heat source. With gas, I would burn the handle off a Moka pot before I made 1 pot with it.

I do use an iron plate over the gas burner for moka (and vacuum) but the time involved in heating the iron which in turn heats the coffee pot is immense (30 minutes is not unusual). Then I am stuck with a screaming hot iron plate for hours.

Electric is another story and works just fine with cold water.

I've moved past that by going to a stainless Moka and an induction plate. Now 3 minutes from start to finish with cold water is the norm.

That is true. You will get more deposits from hot water. This is not an issue with me as we have a tankless heater (water passes through and is heated on its way to the faucet)

A lot depends on your stove's heat source. With gas, I would burn the handle off a Moka pot before I made 1 pot with it.

I do use an iron plate over the gas burner for moka (and vacuum) but the time involved in heating the iron which in turn heats the coffee pot is immense (30 minutes is not unusual). Then I am stuck with a screaming hot iron plate for hours.

Electric is another story and works just fine with cold water.

I've moved past that by going to a stainless Moka and an induction plate. Now 3 minutes from start to finish with cold water is the norm.

I have a hot water tank in my house so I only use filtered water that happens to come from my refrigerator so it is cold. I don't mind waiting a little longer for it to heat up knowing I'm using filtered water which I figure makes for a better cup of coffee. I also use a gas range for my moka pot. I have the 6 cup version in aluminum and I place the pot over the smallest of the four burners. I put the burner on medium so that no flame comes up around the bottom of the pot. I keep watching it and once I see coffee start to come up into the upper chamber I lower the flame until it is almost at its lowest until most of the water in the lower chamber has come up. At that point the coffee will start to gurgle and I turn off the flame altogether. Interestingly enough, doing this on the smallest burner allows me to pick up the moka pot off the stove using the plastic handle without using a glove or mitt. I'll transfer the moka pot to a trivet on the breakfast nook table and sit and enjoy my coffee with some frothed and warmed steamed milk.

I have a hot water tank in my house so I only use filtered water that happens to come from my refrigerator so it is cold. I don't mind waiting a little longer for it to heat up knowing I'm using filtered water which I figure makes for a better cup of coffee. I also use a gas range for my moka pot. I have the 6 cup version in aluminum and I place the pot over the smallest of the four burners. I put the burner on medium so that no flame comes up around the bottom of the pot. I keep watching it and once I see coffee start to come up into the upper chamber I lower the flame until it is almost at its lowest until most of the water in the lower chamber has come up. At that point the coffee will start to gurgle and I turn off the flame altogether. Interestingly enough, doing this on the smallest burner allows me to pick up the moka pot off the stove using the plastic handle without using a glove or mitt. I'll transfer the moka pot to a trivet on the breakfast nook table and sit and enjoy my coffee with some frothed and warmed steamed milk.

Unfortunately my old DCS does not have a "small" burner :(

proxy.php

Even my smallest gas burner is larger than my 2 cup Moka pot. However, turned down slightly, and setting the pot off-center is enough to spare my handle from incineration.

Top Bottom