What's new

Best way to dilute strong aftershave?

My friend, thank you wholeheartedly for the beautiful words! And it's the participation of Gentlemen like you the reason that makes Badger & Blade a so very special place. My hat is off in your honour, Sir.
There is a huge Italian community here in Montreal. My in-laws come from Molise. Their lives and habits (especially eating and drinking, they almost cut my throat for looking at their pretty daughter in 1983) are very much rooted in the past. Oddly, none that I know of is a traditional shaver, Proraso is unknown to them. Maybe because they emigrated in their teens during the last wave of Italian migration in the 1950s.

And why not my friend? They are very similar, almost identical for topical application purposes, and rubbing alcohol is readily available and inexpensive.
You'll notice most cosmetic products for use on the face that use alcohol usually have SD alcohol, which is denatured ethyl alcohol that is intended for this use. Isopropyl alcohol is used in hand sanitizers, cleaners, disinfectants, etc. Isopropyl alcohol has a sharper, more unpleasant odor and the fumes seem more irritating to the eyes.

Rubbing alcohol that is ethanol-based is available at some drugstores. I personally prefer using Everclear which is grain alcohol, diluted with distilled water for use in aftershaves. There are no additives or denaturing agents. The amount used is fairly small. Not that either ethanol or isopropanol is really good for the skin, they do work as astringents and disinfectants.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I thank you dear friend @Marco for bringing this thread to my attention!

Friend @pierrelortie44 : I have the problem of wishing most of my aftershaves were STRONGER to my nose.

My one exception is "Grey Flannel" by Geoffrey Beene.... I leave my face a little extra damp when I apply it.

I do think that I will try mixing some up in a small spray container, with regular witch hazel. In my experience though, in making air fresheners (because I heat with firewood in the cold months, and sometimes smoke escapes when I refill the wood furnace!) I have found that the ingredients separate, so they MUST be shaken before use. I use Essential oils, rubbing alcohol, and witch hazel, and the ingredients DO separate.

I hope I have lived up to my mentor in Gentlemanly Conduct, Sir @Marco ! If he compliments me, I grow 4 inches in height, and I have a hard time fitting my head through the door!

I thank you dear friend @Marco for bringing this thread to my attention!

Friend @pierrelortie44 : I have the problem of wishing most of my aftershaves were STRONGER to my nose.

My one exception is "Grey Flannel" by Geoffrey Beene.... I leave my face a little extra damp when I apply it.

I do think that I will try mixing some up in a small spray container, with regular witch hazel. In my experience though, in making air fresheners (because I heat with firewood in the cold months, and sometimes smoke escapes when I refill the wood furnace!) I have found that the ingredients separate, so they MUST be shaken before use. I use Essential oils, rubbing alcohol, and witch hazel, and the ingredients DO separate.

I hope I have lived up to my mentor in Gentlemanly Conduct, Sir @Marco ! If he compliments me, I grow 4 inches in height, and I have a hard time fitting my head through the door!
Aha, Signore Marco warned us about you 😄.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
There is no difference between adding water to a bottle of aftershave and applying it, adding water to a handful of aftershave and applying it, or applying aftershave to a soaking wet face.
The only difference is going to be quantities.

Many aftershaves do have a very bold smell on application, but few have the staying power to last much longer than your exit from the bathroom.
It might seem strong, but remember, it has been applied to a large surface area surrounding your nose.
Others are not, we presume, going to be standing with their nose as close to your face as your nose does, with the exception of your significant other of course.

If it's the alcohol that is of concern to you, try a balm.

Everclear is a very nice mixer for homemade aftershaves, and I imagine that it would suitably dilute an aftershave, but of course won't do anything at all about the burn, which I love by the way!

If I was forced into diluting my aftershave, and alcohol was not a concern, then I would probably, in very very small increments, add distilled water and Everclear.

Be advised that dilution, depending upon the product, may cause cloudiness in your aftershave.

Thanks! Glad I found this thread and appreciate all of the information.
I recently picked up Southern Witchcraft Gravefruit aftershave, and it is one of the more potent scents I've come across for an aftershave. So I was contemplating adding witch hazel but wasn't sure. I'll use small bottles to test the amounts/ratio, but this will work.

Sometimes I cut mine in my hands with some Lucky Tiger Tonic.

A dab of LT in the palm of my hand, a dab or two of Floid's, rub hands together to mix, apply and wait to dry. This is my go to method when using any alcohol splash.

I've also applied AS to hands, then apply to my sightly wet face.

Both methods have worked well for me.

Thanks! Glad I found this thread and appreciate all of the information.
I recently picked up Southern Witchcraft Gravefruit aftershave, and it is one of the more potent scents I've come across for an aftershave. So I was contemplating adding witch hazel but wasn't sure. I'll use small bottles to test the amounts/ratio, but this will work.
The great thing about perfumer's alcohol is that it adds no scent to your original product,and does not lower the proof .

Don't use rubbing alcohol use vodka which I use in my homemade Snakebite. Witch Hazel works fine AND will aid in any razor burn.

Most alcohol-based AS contain between 50 and 70 % (v/v) ethyl alcohol. So, if you want to dilute them for some reason, you should use something like 50-60 % ethanol/water mixture. Mind that you need pure ethanol, preferably diluted with distilled or demineralized water. Do not use any denatured alcohol (unless it is denatured for perfumery use) or rubbing alcohol. If the solution gets cloudy upon dilution, you should add some pure (95 %) ethanol.
Diluting balms is trickier, since they are more complex O/W emulsions.

Last edited:
I use unscented aftershave to dilute the ones that are too intense (or last way too long) for me. I keep a bottle of Stirling unscented or Chiseled Face unscented (which has a little menthol added) For these purposes. I like those bases and they’re moderately priced.

Great thread folks, thanks! I now have lots of little glass tinctures mixed with various AS’s, colognes and witchhazels. Im like a 5 year old mixing food coloring, nothing is labeled and they all smell excellent…..so far. Clubman VIBR with a little MiTA and a bunch more Thayers unscented seems to be the winner.

Top Bottom