What's new

Best way to dilute strong aftershave?

Sometimes I have aftershaves that are too strong in some way-too much menthol, scent too strong, etc.,I am considering experimenting with diluting these aftershaves to see if I can adjust to my preferences. Any ideas for the best liquids to use-distilled water, witch hazel, alcohol,or some combination of these?

Do you like an alcohol burn? Try Vodka or a combo of Everclear and water to get the desired alcohol percentage. You can also buy Perfumer's alcohol, which is denatured ethanol but fairly safe for the skin. DON'T use denatured alcohol from the hardware store, that is no good on the skin. DON'T use methanol, only ethanol.

For less alcohol burn and some skin soothing, try adding a small amount of plain witch hazel, such as Dickenson's.

You can add a few drops of vegetable glycerin for a bit of moisturizing effect. Don't go overboard, though, since you probably don't want a sticky feeling on the skin.

Last edited:
Why not simply keep your face wet after rinsing off the soap? When you apply the aftershave it'll be naturally diluted.

With all due respect Marco, the water on the face will quickly evaporate, leaving behind whatever amount of aftershave was applied.

If the shaver wants to apply less of the fragrance but maintain the effect of the aftershave, he has to identify what ingredients he wants.

I would say the important ingredient is alcohol, the great disinfectant and astringent. Moisturizers and fragrance can be applied separately after.

So the answer is rubbing alcohol 🤓.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
With all due respect Marco, the water on the face will quickly evaporate, leaving behind whatever amount of aftershave was applied.

If the shaver wants to apply less of the fragrance but maintain the effect of the aftershave, he has to identify what ingredients he wants.

I would say the important ingredient is alcohol, the great disinfectant and astringent. Moisturizers and fragrance can be applied separately after.

So the answer is rubbing alcohol 🤓.
Thank you for posting your opinion, Sir. :001_smile

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Sometimes I have aftershaves that are too strong in some way-too much menthol, scent too strong, etc.,I am considering experimenting with diluting these aftershaves to see if I can adjust to my preferences. Any ideas for the best liquids to use-distilled water, witch hazel, alcohol,or some combination of these?
I haven't experimented with aftershaves yet.. I do see that some gents mix their own and put in in little bottles, might be a good idea, just a little at a time till you get the fragrance you like. :aureola:

~doug~

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
For strong scented aftershaves, what I do is use witch hazel with 16 % alcohol and use 50mm mister glass bottles and dilute usually 1 part Aftershave : 2-4 parts witch hazel by just tinkering. You get a diluted scent that you hopefully want so it does not last as long but it does not always work 100%. The witch hazel should not be directly put in the bottle that the Aftershave came in because it will turn every thing milky color more than likely and that way the base is not altered until needed for another small batch.

Top Bottom