What's new

Best Trail Cam that is not cellular.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
So what's your pick for best trail cam that is not cellular. By best, I mean best features, best picture quality, etc., not cheapest. But I don't want to pay extra for cellular nonsense and a monthly charge for cell service.

Last couple years i've taken many thousands of pictures with an ipod touch 6 using the Procamera plus and Snapseed apps. Tiny, battery life sucks but it's been a blast to play with. Grew up playing in my dad's basement darkroom and i have to say this toy has been even more fun, totally reinvigorated my photo life.
dave

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I'll be checking this thread. I've been thinking about putting one out by the pond to see what comes up at night that I don't see when I walk out of a night.

I see deer all the time, both day and night, have seen signs of wild hogs during the last drought, a nutra rat was in the front yard one time when my husky was outside and started raising cain, and I see raccoon road kill all the time on the road in front of the house but have yet to see one, except one that tried to raid the trashcan. Coyotes are around on a regular basis.

They have been trying to re-stock black bears the next county over and I saw a pic. of a baby one that a friend of mine got on his trail cam on his deer lease.

I don't want to mess with that cellular crap either and also don't want to spend over $100 on a trail cam.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I've been having troubles with something (or someone) harvesting my chickens unbidden. A buddy has loaned me two of his Browning trail cams, it will be interesting to see what's prowling around my property at night.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I've been having troubles with something (or someone) harvesting my chickens unbidden. A buddy has loaned me two of his Browning trail cams, it will be interesting to see what's prowling around my property at night.

Coyotes, foxes, maybe raccoons? It will be interesting to see what you find using a trail cam. Step-daughter had asked what I wanted for Christmas and after seeing this thread I said a trail cam. Let me know how those Browning cams. work and what model they are.

Oh, one time the old mamma cat I used to have brought home a chicken wing. Feathers all over the yard. I'd hate to know how she got it. She used to bring up rabbit quarters and other small game parts from time to time.

Here's the little masked bandit I caught trying to raid the trash can a few months ago. I just happened to have my camera handy and got a pic. of him before he growled at me and waddled off. Fat little thing.

dsc_0005-2-jpg.896861

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
@simon1 , I have all the afore mentioned critters in abundance and regularly catch and dispatch coons and possums. I haven't seen a fox in years, but I know they are in the area. Coyotes have become an increasing problem in the area and made quite a ruckus last night. I have yet to check the cams this morning, but will report back later.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Wow, I didn’t expect what showed up on camera last night, a huge freaking Bobcat!!! I’ll post a picture from the game cam later when I get home.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Wow, I didn’t expect what showed up on camera last night, a huge freaking Bobcat!!! I’ll post a picture from the game cam later when I get home.

Wow. They are around here also...I've seen road kill and one walked out on the Loop in town when I was on patrol one time...during the middle of the day. Haven't seen any around the house but I know they are here.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Yup, pretty good size. Not sure what to do about it. If I live trap it, then what? Choot 'em? Not sure if they are protected, I'll have to look into it.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Yup, pretty good size. Not sure what to do about it. If I live trap it, then what? Choot 'em? Not sure if they are protected, I'll have to look into it.

They are classified as furbearers. Check your state regs, but I bet they have a trapping season on them. Here, if you don't have a trapping license, if they are destroying livestock or property you can shoot them, you just can't sell the pelt. Again, check your state regs. and you might also call the Game Warden in your area. He may come out and trap it and relocate it.

I saw this today, and it's just a kitten. The video is hilarious:

Utah bobcat named ‘Mr. Murderbritches’ goes viral after he swats, hisses during release into wild

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I showed SWMBO your trail cam. pic. and she said she saw a bobcat about three miles from the house crossing the road when she was on her way to town, but that has been several years ago.

That is a big bobcat...are you sure it's not a mountain lion? But I don't see a tail and it does look like it has spots on it. There are supposedly a few cougars (the animal kind, not the local bar kind) around here, especially around the lake. I haven't talked to a game warden in years though. I've never seen a mountain lion or even heard one.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Between the two trail cams, there were 8 pics, none of them of great quality, but none showed even the hint of a tail. A poorer quality pic with the cat closer to the coop gives a better judge of the animals size, definitely not a mountain lion, or "Florida Panther" as they are referred to locally. I have never seen a panther but they do exist in SE Louisiana. Years ago on a hunting lease, maybe 10 miles from the house, I heard one "scream" and saw what I thought were panther tracks in the soft mud. The fence in the foreground is only 4 ft. tall and the box looking structure behind and to the front of the cat is 3 ft. tall. Still a big cat, but not a panther/cougar/mt. lion.

The Campark 14mp trail cam on Amazon is easy to use and set up, and takes good photos for 70 dollars. Not a name brand, but they are all made in some Chinese factory anyway.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Saw the tail end of the bobcat heading into the woods as I drove in last night. Caught him several times on the trail cam. Also saw a pair of foxes in the chicken yard on the cam. It's a wonder I have any chickens left at all!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Saw the tail end of the bobcat heading into the woods as I drove in last night. Caught him several times on the trail cam. Also saw a pair of foxes in the chicken yard on the cam. It's a wonder I have any chickens left at all!

Time to break out the 12 gauge.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I have the WildGame Innovations Cloak 12 Lightsout Game Trail Camera up on the hill. Good pix. Good battery life. Just swap out the SD card every week or two. Rechargeable batteries last months. It may eat them up more if I was taking video, never tried the video so I can't tell how long they would last.

Here's a couple. I have some better night shots but they are on the other SD card.

Attachments

• WGI_0490.JPG
    WGI_0490.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 13
  • WGI_0448.JPG
    WGI_0448.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 12

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Step-daughter got me this...Tec.Bean 12M/1080P still/video cam. I set it up in the living room to check it out and it seems to work well. Now I can see what's prowling around behind the house of a night. It's trigger speed is not as fast as Richard's WingHome, mine is 0.65 seconds, but it has a 75 ft. range and should do just fine.

It's supposed to come a monsoon tonight so I think I'll wait until tomorrow to put it out.

DSC_0003 (2).JPG

I'll probably get a lot of deer, but they are easy to get pics. of...they're out there all the time. It would be neat if I got a pic. of a little black bear or something that wandered over from the next county or Oklahoma.

The deer can be pests, but they usually leave my vegetable garden alone during the summer...usually.

dsc_0038-2-jpg.930029

Last edited:
Top Bottom