What's new

Best SuperSpeed

Rudy T; I have also noticed that, but failed to bring it up in my rememberer when I posted. I attributed it to use and wear, but the two patterns are quite noticeable so that was in error on my part.
No worries Sir. I took a close look at my other NDC SS (48-49) and it's somewhere in between the two I took pictures of above. It's got dimples, but they are *tiny* compared to the other dimpled handle. My phone can't focus close enough to capture the dimples so no pic.

1954 on up flare tips have the same blade gap, about the same as an adjustable set on 2 (Fatboy and Slim, 3 on a super adjustable). Earlier models are more aggressive as are the red tips. Flare tips are perfect for a smooth 3 pass shave with sharp blades (iridium or Personna lab Blues or feathers) for 1 day beards. For 2 + day growths more aggressive razor may be needed. It really gets down to your skin and beard. In any case everyone should have at least one Super speed in your collection

I have a C1 Red Tip, and now a 40s style 1954 SS. The Red Tip is more aggressive, with a short, thick handle. The '54 is milder (but an excellent shaver), with a short, thinner handle.

I have learned a lot reading threw this topic. I just bought an adjustable but I plan to get a few super speeds in the future. I am thinking of getting a 40s, red tip, and a silver flair tip to get a decent variety. But then later I want to get a black tip, blue tip and a black handle just to have all of the main ones.

You really can't go wrong with any of them. I have a preference for the 40's style, with or without a black tip and my '49 is simply a level above everything else.
But then I pick up a blue tip, or my '58, or the '66 and really have no complaints.

I get pretty much the same shave from most of my vintage gillettes, adjustables excluded...my favorite would have to be my red tip because of its weight. Definitely my favorite Super Speed to use.

You really can't go wrong with any of them. I have a preference for the 40's style, with or without a black tip and my '49 is simply a level above everything else.
But then I pick up a blue tip, or my '58, or the '66 and really have no complaints.

As a '49er, I'm curious. What is it about the '49 that you like better than the others?

I have a 1952-53 #66 that looks better than my 1958 super speed (TV special) due to its rhodium plating. But they shave pretty much the same (excellent).

Finally got my Rocket HD in the mail a few weeks ago. Very, very nicely made and seems heftier and more finely engineered than the Super Speeds. Shaves nicely but just can't get that BBS with it. My 1947 Super Speed I'm diggin' the most. Even more than the Rocket or my red tip.

Top Bottom