What's new

Best sub $1K Espresso Machine....

Haven't decided if I want an auto machine (grinds, tamps, brews at the touch of a button) or if I want a "do it yourself" rig.

Thoughts?

My father is a big espresso drinker and he has a Gaggia Manual and a Saeco SuperAutomatica. The Saeco makes some of the best espresso I've ever drank. Push a button and you get a delicious espresso with no mess (provided the beans are great). The Saeco machine was in the $600 range... I believe it's a Vienna model but I have to double check.

The Illy Francis Francis machines make some great espresso but the pods are very pricey...

http://www.illyusa.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_iperespresso_iperespresso_iperespresso_francis-francis-x7-E307

Here is the Saeco, my Father's is the older model...

http://www.shopsaeco.com/detail/TCL+04038

It sounds like you are looking for a more traditional espresso machine, but have you considered the Nespresso system? I found I did not use my Saeco espresso machine much do to the amount of prep time and clean up required each use. The Nespresso is quick, easy and virtually maintenance free. They offer a decent variety of flavors. As a result, I find I use it much more frequently.

It sounds like you are looking for a more traditional espresso machine, but have you considered the Nespresso system? I found I did not use my Saeco espresso machine much do to the amount of prep time and clean up required each use. The Nespresso is quick, easy and virtually maintenance free. They offer a decent variety of flavors. As a result, I find I use it much more frequently.

Cool machine, but i'm actually not looking for anything with pods. I've looked at a few Saeco's and quite like them, but I know folks who have had reliability issues with theirs. The Breville Barista Express BES860XL looks interesting as well, but i'm just ignorant on the quality/performance of it.

Someone at my office has a Rancilio Silvia in his office, but frankly it doesn't do much for me... maybe it needs a good cleaning - but for me, it's mediocre.

coffeegeek.com. Possibly too much info.

I trust the folks here most. Not that the folks at coffeegeek aren't great, but I don't really want to do a lot of research and get too involved, I know/trust folks here and know i'll get some killer recommendations without having to delve too deep.

Thanks though!

I drink plenty of coffee and had a small La Pavoni manual espresso machine for years. The biggest drawback was that after a dinner party making coffee for 8 guests was very time-consuming.
I now have an automatic Bosch and it is a pleasure to make coffee for guests again. Plus my wife is now happy to make coffee for herself, rather than needing me to help out.
I don't think that the brand is that important, but deciding which type of system you want is key. If you can find a reasonable retailer, you should be able to take some of your own coffee with you and try the machines in store.

Cool machine, but i'm actually not looking for anything with pods. I've looked at a few Saeco's and quite like them, but I know folks who have had reliability issues with theirs. The Breville Barista Express BES860XL looks interesting as well, but i'm just ignorant on the quality/performance of it.

Someone at my office has a Rancilio Silvia in his office, but frankly it doesn't do much for me... maybe it needs a good cleaning - but for me, it's mediocre.

Hi there. Have to second the nespresso vote, totally understand your not after pods but I'm a pretty serious coffee drinker and have tried I'd say over 20 top machines including the racncilios like you have mentioned, a variety being bean to cup, manual etc - Consistency is the key as you know with any coffee machine and while maintenance plays a key role the nespresso while a fraction off the very top machines, comes out with consistent quality crema each time and the blends are fantastic. Anyhow I know the your not after one but just had to share my experiences and it is hence why I now have 4 of them over a couple of the offices and my uk and French home. That being said, just like shaving or anything you have a passion for, making a coffee from scratch can be very enjoyable indeed and I think while not as expensive as some of more industrial brands I'd say the Gaggias are nice to use and live with. Avoid built in units, you get less for your money.

Good luck in your search and do keep us posted on your purchase.

Scotto..where are thou?
The Silvia is supposed to be one of the better entry level machines (Gaggia Classic is another)
Do you have a good grinder yet? (Rancillo Rocky or better)

Last edited:
I've just bought a fully auto machine but it's alot more expensive than the budget you have. I can highly recommend the Rancilio Sylivia espresso machine. It's manual so it'll teach how to make a proper brew and it's built like a tank.

I've just bought a fully auto machine but it's alot more expensive than the budget you have. I can highly recommend the Rancilio Sylivia espresso machine. It's manual so it'll teach how to make a proper brew and it's built like a tank.

I was planning on getting a pretty nice grinder (nicer than the machine) so I could/would spend more on a full auto, i'm just weary of their quality and propensity to fail. I know quite a few folks with 'em and while one got 4+ years out of a Solis, the rest have usually gotten 2-3 years out of their "super automatics" and frankly, I'm just not that "into it" to justify spending that kinda $ every 2-3 years. I'm a 2-3 cup a week kinda guy....

As an aside, i'm not too worried about a full manual - my first job at 14 was a barista, and I did it for 3 years. Granted, it was more than a decade ago - i've have the opportunity a few times to "re-test" my skills (a few of my friends have 5 figure commercial grade setups) and it was just like riding a bike.

Seems like folks really like the Rancilio, but the one at my office seems to spit a lot of grinds into the cup, leaks a lot, and makes mediocre steamed/foamed milk. Granted, i've never used it (the owner of it makes coffee for any/everyone who wants some), so it could be use error.

I'll have to scope his out and try my hand at it, when i'm back in the office in a week.

Scotto..where are thou?
The Silvia is supposed to be one of the better entry level machines (Gaggia Classic is another)
Do you have a good grinder yet? (Rancillo Rocky or better)

I was planning on getting a Nuova.

Seems like folks really like the Rancilio, but the one at my office seems to spit a lot of grinds into the cup, leaks a lot, and makes mediocre steamed/foamed milk.

The Silvia is really a quite capable machine, and if well maintained and well operated, shouldn't have any of the problems you've seen with the one in your office. Its major shortcoming is temperature control, which can be addressed either by "temperature surfing", or installing a PID temp. controller. (Google will provide more than you want to know on both these topics.) The other limitation is that, like all single boiler machines, it's lousy at making milk drinks for a crowd. Steaming milk requires a much higher temperature in the boiler than brewing espresso, and it takes an inconveniently long time for the one water vessel to go back and forth between settings.

But for straight espresso, and 1-2 milk drinks at a time, she's a champ. Also built like a tank with replacement parts, should they ever be needed, easily available.

I was planning on getting a Nuova.

Personally, I think I might look for a used (gently) commercial 110V single group machine.

You said you plan on buying a "pretty nice" grinder.. but my definition of a pretty nice grinder may not be the same as yours. You didn't specify.

I would avoid the SuperAuto machines (as you seem to already be leaning towards avoiding anyway. good call). With those, you are paying for convenience. Convenience and quality rarely ever come together in a package.

You said that you were planning on a Nuova. A Nuova Simonelli machine, or grinder? Both? I get the impression that you already have something in mind.

"Best", as in shaving stuff, is not so easy to define. Knowing you, I would avoid the super-auto machine. My criteria would be: great temperature control (nothing more annoying than 40 degree boiler temperature swings), big-*** brass grouphead and portafilter, and huge amounts of steam pressure. Unfortunately, the $1k price range doesn't have a lot of good offerings anymore. It is pretty sad that the machines have gone up so much in price, but so be it. I would take a look at some of the Quickmill machines (Alexia, Anita, and on up) and see if there is something that fits your need. They start at about $1200 and up, though. Go to Chriscoffee.com and poke around a bit.

Silvia's price has gone up a lot in the past few years, and she is a nasty ***** without a PID, so I wouldn't really recommend that route.

Aren't there ExpoBars around $1200ish? Not counting the grinder
You could just blow the $5000 on the LaMarzocco GS/3 and call it a day

I was planning on getting a pretty nice grinder (nicer than the machine) so I could/would spend more on a full auto, i'm just weary of their quality and propensity to fail. I know quite a few folks with 'em and while one got 4+ years out of a Solis, the rest have usually gotten 2-3 years out of their "super automatics" and frankly, I'm just not that "into it" to justify spending that kinda $ every 2-3 years. I'm a 2-3 cup a week kinda guy....

As an aside, i'm not too worried about a full manual - my first job at 14 was a barista, and I did it for 3 years. Granted, it was more than a decade ago - i've have the opportunity a few times to "re-test" my skills (a few of my friends have 5 figure commercial grade setups) and it was just like riding a bike.

Seems like folks really like the Rancilio, but the one at my office seems to spit a lot of grinds into the cup, leaks a lot, and makes mediocre steamed/foamed milk. Granted, i've never used it (the owner of it makes coffee for any/everyone who wants some), so it could be use error.

I'll have to scope his out and try my hand at it, when i'm back in the office in a week.

I've moved up to the Delonghi 6600 which retail in Australia for $3,100Although I can't comment on the longevity because I've only had it a week, I can say that once you've got it set up right, it makes a very nice cup of coffee. Like djh, the main motivation for me was that the manual machines are time consuming if you're making alot of cups and my wife didn't like it because it was too hands on. Seeings as she lets me spend as much as I want on razors without complaint, I thought it was the least I could do.

Silvia's price has gone up a lot in the past few years, and she is a nasty ***** without a PID, so I wouldn't really recommend that route.

My experience owning a Silvia was very different. You quickly figured out how to surf the temperature and the swing was minimal anyway. I really liked mine. It was my first proper coffee machine and I found it quite easy to use once you'd mastered the fundamentals of making coffee.

I have a La Pavoni manual lever machine. Its nice, but I am still a little inconsistent using it. I suppose using it could be likened to straight razor shaving except I wonder about temperature consistency between shots.

The Rancilio Silvia was mentioned earlier,and if I were buying another espresso machine I would strongly consider it along with the PID mod:
http://gizmodo.com/5581416/tickling-miss-silvia-mark-frauenfelder-hacks-coffees-god+shot
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=104

Top Bottom