What's new

Best solution for ingrown hairs

hello all, I have been shaving with de razors for less than a week and find it to be far better than any other method of shaving...with that said, I forgot the basics the other day and was after a BBS shave. Bad idea. After a few hours my neck was irritated and for the past few days I have battled ingrown hairs on the neck.

After researching what and ingrown hair actually is, am a bit confused as to the best method to get rid of these bastards and keep them away. Do I let my beard grow out for a week or so to make sure by neck is totally healed or do I continue to shave just only every other day?? My resoning behind why shaving every other day would be better is that instead of giving hairs a chance to grow back into the skin resulting in ingrown hairs I am cutting them down more frequently so the do not grow into the skin.

I feel that if i just let my beard grow while my neck is healing the the hairs will just keep growing in while if i shave every other day i can cut the hairs before they can become ingrown while accepting that my neck will take longer to heal.

Ingrowns have been the bane of my existence my entire shaving life as well... With that said, my advice is to shave every other day. Just make sure you aren't getting overzealous with your shaves and going for bbs every time out (which is easy to do) and take your time with your shaves. Also, prep is 90% of the shave. Make sure you properly prep your beard and you should be gtg. :001_smile

So do you agree shaving more frequently than not is better?? I truthfully believe that as I improve my technique I will conquer ingrown hairs but they really get to me in the meantime. It is so frustrating that one agreesive shave can set me back so far!

I believe that shaving more frequently after you have healed is better... Sorry for not clarifying myself. In the meantime, let yourself heal up and you should be straight. Don't pull out the ingrowns, just free them up. Hope this helps

I’ve have issues with ingrowns ever since I started shaving, oh so many years ago. I still have them, but after shaving with a DE for almost a year, I can say that my ingrown problem is much better. My only advice and it’s my only advice because it’s the only thing that has worked for me, is to shave with the grain only. Never, never, ever, never, never, ever, ever, ever go against the grain. Going against the grain is a sure fire invitation to ingrown hairs. I shave every night, and only do a 2 pass shave, with the grain.

I would let your beard grow out, to let the bumps clear up, before you try shaving again.

A few things things which help me prevent ingrowns:
1) Use a face scrub (something with some grit to it) before you shave; this is supposed to clear up the dead skin cells at the base of the hair follicle, and reduce the chance it will become ingrown again (it also gives me a better shave in general).
2) Use a chemical exfoliant after you shave. A.de.Lioncourt provides some links to reviews of a few popular products. I've used something called "Bump Patrol" which I found at CVS pharmacy which helps. The active ingredient in many of these is salicylic acid, which you can approximate by making an aspirin mask (grind up 4-5 plain, non-coated aspirin, dissolve in a small amount of water or lotion, and spread it on your troubled spots after shaving and 12 hours later).

For me, it got a lot better with practice -- figuring out the technique (especially the direction you shave) to get the right level of closeness while minimizing irritation. Good luck!

I’ve have issues with ingrowns ever since I started shaving, oh so many years ago. I still have them, but after shaving with a DE for almost a year, I can say that my ingrown problem is much better. My only advice and it’s my only advice because it’s the only thing that has worked for me, is to shave with the grain only. Never, never, ever, never, never, ever, ever, ever go against the grain. Going against the grain is a sure fire invitation to ingrown hairs. I shave every night, and only do a 2 pass shave, with the grain.

+1

Top Bottom